Time To Bail Out ?

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
VWNate1
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

I'm -BUSY- !

Post by VWNate1 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:04 pm

I neglected to mention that after 22 months of PIA reconstruction we're finally moving back into SWMBO's house, one of our Foster boys burned us out almost two years ago .

It's nice but still not done, we can't afford to mortgage and rental both so back we go and will finish it up bit by bit .

I wish my old pickup truck wasn't dead =8-^ .
-Nate
'94 Tourist 650
'96 650 Solo
'10 Solo sT Crashed & Ruined 6.26.17 :cry:

sagerat
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Time To Bail Out ?

Post by sagerat » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:13 pm

Hang in there, Nate. You are the personification of moxie.

Hope all goes well in your next adventures. Take care.
2004 Ural Tourist (2004-2018, 48,000 klicks)

2012 Ural Gobi (Forward to the horizon)

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure (KIA, sniff)

2017 Kawasaki KLR650 (Semi-orphaned by Urals)

VWNate1
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

THANX !

Post by VWNate1 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:15 pm

I appreciate all the helpful replies here and in PM's .

A lot on my plate of late , this weekend we finally moved back into SWMBO's house after 23 months , whew .

She, her daughter and grand daughter are still seriously stressed out but we're moving forward .

We were taking a cuppa the other day and she looked at me and asked "are you getting ready to leave me now ?" :shock:

?! WTF !? are you kidding me ? a woman like my Sweet is a once in a lifetime find, I wonder why she allows me to hang around.....

The poor Foster boys who've been through life's meat grinder before we get them are all a twitter too.....

Being in so much pain I don't sleep as much as I pass out from it occasionally it's helping either .

I don't think I'll ever heal more than this but I'm ambulatory and able to ride if *much* slower than before .

In the big picture I'm lucky, oh so lucky to even be alive now so on I go, one step at a time .
-Nate
'94 Tourist 650
'96 650 Solo

sKiZo
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by sKiZo » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:02 am

Reading this thread has me wondering if it's time I hung up my spurs ...

(no, dammit, not ready yet!!)

Pushing 70 here, and the last few springs it's a soul search to ponder whether I've got another season in me. The accident a couple years back hasn't made the decision any easier. A two wheeler is pretty much out of the question now, but sitting on the front porch watching the neighbors roll by was too much for my lil ol' heart to take, so I started looking at options and found the Ural. As is, it sat for a couple weeks after the handicap mods were completed while I got up the courage (or uber dumbness?) to fire it up. I've gone from drop of the hat cross country trips to a few miles around the neighborhood, but at least it's riding. If nothing else, I'm hoping next year to do at least a few Patriot Rides hereabouts. I do know there will be a few huge sighs of relief from friends and relatives when I finally get around to pulling the plug, but my thoughts are, it's not like I can break anything else, eh ... ;-}

Anyway - not to hijack the thread - it's a big decision for anyone, and the hardest part is making it one way or another. Sounds like you made a smart choice there ... press on regardless!

PS - I thought I was the only one who had to dodge a mountain every now and then! Had one jump right out in front of me once. No, really - rock slide. Nothing that a couple rolls of baling wire, duct tape, and a bottle or two of Tylenol couldn't fix at least well enough to be able to limp home.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Evil Kneivel? He got nuttin' on me!
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.

VWNate1
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Still 'On The Fence'

Post by VWNate1 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:04 am

Sagerat, I hope that 'Moxie" still means good, it did when I were a lad....

BTW : they still bottle Moxie, two places on the West Coast bottle it, one tastes better than the other .

sKiZo ;

I hope to be able to still ride Tiddlers for a long time yet ~ one fellow in my vintage Japanese Moto Club rode his Yamaha RD400 until he was 84 .

We'll see ~ I've had an interesting and eventful life so I'm pretty beat up apart from the Motocycling, I hate to give it up .

This same mountain rod, in about 1974 nearly killed me when I was driving a 1956 Ford F1 pickup late one night, windows open I heard a deep rumbling and slowed down, suddenly a HUGE boulder the size of the truck crashed into the road way about 15' in front of us ~ had I not slowed down it would have landed directly on the cab of the truck ~ ON not against .

Life goes on .
-Nate
'94 Tourist 650
'96 650 Solo

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:20 pm

Back in 2004 I met a guy on a campsite, he had his red Kawasaki GT550 with panniers and topbox, and his double compartment tunnel tent and camp chair which can be used inside under cover, and his bedroll. I was so impressed I now use the same kind of kit. He told me he was 86. Which is a frequent reminder to me, if you can still do it, do it. Doubt he's still around now of course. :(
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

sKiZo
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by sKiZo » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:01 pm

The stories some could tell. Even a bit of truth in some of them. ;-}

Few years back I was riding the ridge down on Arkansas 7. Weather was bad enough I think it even had me hallucinating some - could have swore I drove by a giant abandoned amusement park in the middle of nowhere? <G>

Thinking to myself "I'm getting too old for this sh!t", I pull into a rest stop. Couple minutes later, a matched pair of Kawasaki dressers come rolling it - it's a local pair of twins out celebrating their 76th birthday. Huh. Wouldn't be surprised if they still weren't out and about keeping the knees to the breeze.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Evil Kneivel? He got nuttin' on me!
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.

GoatTracks

Post by GoatTracks » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:40 am

Happy Trails to you, Nate, however you may make them in the future. We're all gonna have to face it one day.
"Dog is my Co-Pilot"

Central Iowa, USA
'07 "FrankenUral" Gear Up
'99 HD Bad Boy Custom
'84 Yamaha 175 Enduro
Mattel "Big Wheel"

VWNate1
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: Time Goes On

Post by VWNate1 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:09 pm

Again, thank you all ! .

At times I get the blues badly .

I've always been very active so this is difficult to deal with .

My current plan is to let The Bike Pimp (an old friend) come and empty out my house of pretty much everything, I have thousands of technical books, tools, parts and crap I accumulated over the decades ~ when I was young I wasn't allowed to have anything, it was taken away or destroyed to punish me preemptively so I became over involved in getting things I wanted .

Now, because of the damned 2017 Moto crash I can't begin sorting them and working on them .

I'll still try to be active but I think a large change of pace will be a good thing for me .

Who knows ? maybe my Sweet will actually move in with me, that'd be nice but her house just finished being rebuilt after a massive fire 23 months ago and my place is my little slice of country right here in the city, she might not lie it, I'm sure her daughter and grand daughter would be horrified the first time the see inside it .

The abandoned amusement park is interesting, there are lots of them scattered around America and the world .

That spillway is beautiful .

In the 1960's I used to love crawling around the many abandoned buildings all over New England ~ many were businesses that simply locked up one day and that was that . full of interesting things .

With a little bit of effort and luck I plan to keep riding for now, if not on the BMW, on the CT90 .

Over the years I have met many many Elders out riding , both alone and as couples / pairs .
-Nate
'94 Tourist 650
'96 650 Solo