Ural in a Pick-up

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Jjordan

Ural in a Pick-up

Post by Jjordan » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:16 pm

I've recently gotten a wonderful 2008 Gear Up and I'm desperate to convince my wife that there is a future for us in sidecars. My first outfit (EML) had a couple of issues that I just couldn't get my wife to see past. That was a couple of decades ago and I'm going to give it another try. My idea is that if I can get the Ural in my 2001 Toyota Tundra, hook up our Airstream Bambi and go somewhere scenic and "magical" I'll stand a much better chance of making this a success. I found a really good video on YouTube and would like to have the creator of that vid allow me to pose some questions to him.Thanks for any suggestions anyone might have. Jjordan

GHGoodwin
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Ural in a Pick-up

Post by GHGoodwin » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:58 am

How about some details on the decking and ramps?

BTW - nice job.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

Niteblues
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Niteblues » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:09 am

That's NJ Ken and his pickup setup...from about 10 years ago!
Recycled might know a bit about that set up, if Ken doesn't chime in.
Where are you located? Put that info in your signature line...maybe you live close by!
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

"You can ride farther in one hour than you can walk in a day"

"Media bias contributes to erosion of the perception of truth." Tanya Marcum

Jjordan

Post by Jjordan » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:15 am

I'm really feeling like I'm in a whole new world having never been active on a forum before. First off, is "Recycled" a person, place or thing and secondly is GHGoodwin asking for details on decking and ramps or inquiring as to whether or not I would like some info...probably the former. In any event, I'm looking forward to the forthcoming education. I hope to hear from NJ Ken as well. I live in the Monterey, CA area. Best, Jjordan

WEGUNTER
Commissar
Commissar

Post by WEGUNTER » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:28 am

Recycled is a person. Good luck on contacting NJ Ken. He has not been on the net for years. A number of people put their Urals in the back of a pick up truck. The biggest challenge is clearing the fender well. Ken built a wooden platform so the Ural sat above the well. He had an electric winch to pull the bike up onto the platform. VT Ural up in Maine also loads his Ural into a pick up truck but he does not use a platform. He simply finds an embankment level with his pick up truck bed and drives his Ural onto the truck bed. In this configuration, his side car wheel is resting up on the fender well so the bike is canted to the side a bit. Might look sort of screwy but it works for him. Only concern I would have is making any high speed turns with the Ural sitting up high on a platform. Might get sort of scary.

Bill

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:10 am

Yes, that's Ken. He and I chatted at the Gettysburg Blue Gray Rally in May. The video linked by the OP does show the sum of Ken's construction and methods. The ramps fold and store neatly under the platform, along with tools and such.

Scroll down to the last pic in the linked post:
https://sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtop ... ut#p694143
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:29 am

I've seen Ken load and unload that bike dozens of times.
He hauls his bike down to the South Jersey off-road events making a 2 hour trip in about 2.5 hours.
I'm not a fan of putting a 750lb bike ABOVE the CoG of a vehicle, plus that platform of his weighs a few hundred pounds by itself.
Think 2x10's on edge to support the platform and get things up over the wheel wells, crossmembers and pressure-treated 4x4 "rollbar" to support the winch.
Oh and the platform isn't really removable, so it stays in all the time, hurting your versatility for carrying other stuff.
I definitely wouldn't do it with his decades old T100, let alone tow anything.
It definitely sags in the rear and front braking suffers.

One of the guys who came out to Moab in Spring of 2018 had a suhweeet set-up with the bike on an aluminum diamond plate platform built to bed height and with aluminum supports beneath and trick flush tie downs.
That was a newer one ton truck and one of the only set-ups I've ever seen that I would consider hauling a Ural that way.

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:33 am

Oh and those plastic yellow ramps?
They were discontinued due to too many lawsuits, seems they collapse at inopportune times.
I'm sure some of that was people overloading them.
I think they were rated at around 500lbs each, which is about the weight of the bike-side of things.
I think Ken has escaped catastrophe because the entire bike isn't on the ramp for long, one wheel is either on the ground or in the bed for most of the loading.

Jjordan

Post by Jjordan » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:00 pm

New guy that I am, I do not know how to reply to individual postings so I'm using the "Quick reply" box to say "thank you" to Weghunter, Lofty and Bindersmokdat. Mr. BinDerSmokDat would you have any contact info for the fellow who you mentioned had a suhweeet set-up out in Moab? Again, thanks one and all. Jjordan

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:06 pm

I did some searching and remembered that he is "avion" on this board.
His name is Cris.
You should be able to send him a PM by searching his name.

WEGUNTER
Commissar
Commissar

Post by WEGUNTER » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:46 pm

You might want to send VTUral a message as well. he drives from Maine to NC without any kind of platform or ramps. Not sure how he does it, but he does.

Bill

Happytrails

Post by Happytrails » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:45 pm

He made it look easy. But watching that video I couldn't help but watching those ramps and think wow are they strong. :roll:
-JR

2018 Ural GearUp, Urban Camo
1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:15 am

As someone who has weighed out the various options that get me a camper/RV AND bringing the Ural along, loading the bike in a pick-up and towing is the LEAST desirable option for me.

To do it safely, with capacity to spare for towing, you need a reasonably large truck. Ideally 3/4 ton full-sized. That would mean making the truck my daily driver, but I crave a sportier, slightly more practical vehicle for my long commutes.

And if you are going to invest in a full-sized tow vehicle, then go with a toy hauler trailer, best of both worlds.

For now, I'm sticking with an E150 van converted for camping towing the Ural on an Aluma trailer. The future holds a nice Class B Sprinter-type or small (22-24ft) Class C towing the bike. I just don't want a full-sized pick-up for a daily driver.

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:36 am

Happytrails wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:45 pm
He made it look easy.
If by "easy" you mean...

- A 15 minute loading and unloading process. Note that the bike is already on the ramps when this video is taken. It takes Ken a while to pull out the ramps, rig up his winch, line the bike up, stop winching, tweak the handlebars to steer it as it gets on the ramp, go back to winching, then after it is loaded, ratcheting down everything.
- A ~300lb wooden platform that is not exactly removable or aesthetically pleasing living in your pick-up truck bed full-time, that prohibits what you can carry in the bed and robs you of fuel mileage daily.
- Popping the hood to hook up your electric boat winch, or when that isn't working, using a come-along. (yes I've seen it happen).
- 25% increase in travel times when hauling the bike because you have to drive slower because your load is not exactly safely distributed.

All to haul the bike 3-4 times a year.
I love Ken, he is a great guy to ride with and a character and a half to hang out with.
I've told him dozens of times he's crazy, but it works for him.

On the plus side, you DO save on tolls versus pulling a trailer; one less axle. ;)

kc0yef
Comrade
Comrade

Post by kc0yef » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:18 pm

Or you can buy a Harbor freight trailer
loaded with a come along in 10 minutes

1974 R90S
1976 R90/100iSh
1983 R100RS basket
2005 Ural Sidecar
1984 VF700F