2018 dealer rebates and offers

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
inked1
Comrade
Comrade

2018 dealer rebates and offers

Post by inked1 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:27 pm

Just visited the Ural site and noticed that starting today, they're having Black Friday sales. Offering a $1000.00 rebate, 3rd year warranty free, and and additional $500 on your trade on 2018 models.

Being a noob here, is this typical of Ural, do the sales rebates get any bigger/better, and out of curiosity, when do the 2020s hit the market and the sales on 2019s start?
Current
2017 Harley Ultra Limited Low
1988 1200 Sportster
1986 1100 Sportster Hardtail project
1981 Suzuki GS550
A few old Pontiacs, yeah I know, at least one too many wheels on the ground.

Lokiboy
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: 2018 dealer rebates and offers

Post by Lokiboy » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:50 pm

Unusual if past years are any guide. And no, typically rebates don’t increase.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:52 pm

inked1 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:27 pm
Just visited the Ural site and noticed that starting today, they're having Black Friday sales. Offering a $1000.00 rebate, 3rd year warranty free, and an additional $500 on your trade on 2018 models.

Being a noob here, is this typical of Ural, do the sales rebates get any bigger/better, and out of curiosity, when do the 2020s hit the market and the sales on 2019s start?
I availed myself of similar discounts that were in force through the end of March 2018, when I purchased my new Gear Up. Having seen the same or comparable offers repeated in Autumn 2018, and now 2019, I'd agree that the recurring rebates/offers are something that will occur, in some form, at least once annually. I didn't receive a free 3rd year warranty, so that's an additional chit for new buyers.

Physical delivery of the new 2019s was delayed in many places due the brief government shutdown (which affected customs processing at the ports, etc.) The federal fiscal year ends 31st October. Provided we aren't witness to another budgetary pi$$ing match in D.C., I'd wager that the 2020 Urals should be in the showrooms by December, and online a bit sooner than that. These things can be moving targets, though, so patience is indicated.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

inked1
Comrade
Comrade

Post by inked1 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:55 pm

For those of you who have bought new, in the Ural world, what was your experience with dealers and the MSRP? Honestly, I've only purchased new Harleys. I've owned other bikes, but those were purchased used from private sellers. My first new Harley in 1988, the dealer worked with me on the price, dropped it, fudged numbers on a trade in, (didn't have a trade in), and I came out pretty good. In 1995, the exact opposite, but that year, 4 million of my closest friends were on waiting lists to buy a bike they'd later sell with a couple hundred miles on it because they were never really riders and just wanted to be cool. (I on the other hand wanted to step up and had no patience to wait for the used market. LOL) My last new one, 2017, the dealer dropped a substantial amount from the MSRP to get my attention, since the new 18s were on the floor. (Like a $5500 drop, before I negotiated some add ons on the bike for free) They dropped the price, gave me Stage 2 kit, new aftermarket exhaust, heated grips to get the sale. Was really happy with that purchase. NONE of those deals were done with the factory's blessing, since HD figures sales and rebates "cheapen" the brand, and all deals were dealer sponsored.

So long way to a short question. Did the dealers give you a better price than MSRP on the Ural? Rebates too if offered? I see some advertise no dealer prep, free shipping in USA, etc, but don't mention MSRP deals. Are they there? I've got to come up with the bestest deal ever to convince my wife one more time that I really really really really need one. LOL After 36 years of marriage, I've had to keep adding reallys to convince her. LOL
Current
2017 Harley Ultra Limited Low
1988 1200 Sportster
1986 1100 Sportster Hardtail project
1981 Suzuki GS550
A few old Pontiacs, yeah I know, at least one too many wheels on the ground.

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:52 pm

inked1 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:55 pm
For those of you who have bought new, in the Ural world, what was your experience with dealers and the MSRP?
Did the dealers give you a better price than MSRP on the Ural? Rebates too if offered?

I see some advertise no dealer prep, free shipping in USA, etc, but don't mention MSRP deals. Are they there?
My dealer charged MSRP, $16,499.00 in my instance. To that number, state sales tax and a dealer set-up fee was added. From that number, a $1K promotional rebate was deducted, as was the value of the motorcycle that I was trading in on the deal. The latter's valuation included a $500.00 bump that was also a sales promotion in force at the time. All in, I wrote a check for <$10K to complete the sale.

I was offered an substantial discount off MSRP if I was willing to purchase the 2018 Gear Up Sahara SE that I test drove prior to my purchase. I declined, since (a) I wasn't keen on the Sahara's livery, and (b) it's my policy to never purchase demo vehicles, full stop.

The aforementioned promotions (rebates) were and are advertised by Ural Corporate in Washington. With that in mind, I can't envision any dealer trying to hold those valuations back from their customers. If a dealer wants to advertise free set-up and/or offer free shipping, that's their prerogative, and it's certainly worth your time to investigate.

It's incumbent on the buyer to know who he's dealing with; proper assembly out of the crate (e.g., setting lean-in and toe-out) is critical to safe operation of the new sidecar outfit. It can't be faked. My selling dealer got it exactly right. If thread comments are any indication, not everyone on this forum who purchased new can say the same thing.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

Happytrails

Post by Happytrails » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:11 pm

I purchased my Ural mid summer so no rebates going at the time although I do see rebates all the time. Seems pretty good in some cases. But my dealer, Ural of Pittsburgh, didn't charge freight or assembly fee's where I believe some Ural dealers do and that can add up to a small chunk of change. And from what I've heard and read Ural of Pittsburgh will ship the bike to anywhere in in the US and including certain parts of Canada at no charge which seems like an amazing bargain.

If there are any 2018 leftovers you might get a good deal on them. And once the 2020's release you might see some dealers drop the freight and assembly charges to move a 2019. It might work out in your favor if you wait a little longer as there will probably be a limited edition 2019 released soon and then I think they announce the 2020 release. There aren't supposed to be any documented changes or updates although they might do small tweaks for improvement.

Good luck and enjoy hunting down your new rig! :)
Last edited by Happytrails on Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-JR

2018 Ural GearUp, Urban Camo
1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"

Bullethead
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Bullethead » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:22 pm

I knock wood every time I even think about the deal I got on my 2018 Gear Up. Honestly, I think the dealership was looking so hard at the off-road market that they figured their former manager had made a big mistake ordering a gloss black model. With gloss paint and blackout engine, Givi driver and sidecar windscreen, all in, I rode The Pearl away for about the msrp of the base model. There was a $1000 incentive (this was June 2018) and the dealer doubled that. I may just buy the extended warranty with what I saved. 😏 okay, knocking wood with crossed fingers. 🤭
Way Out Western NY
2018 Gear Up; The Black Pearl
1977 Yamaha XS650D
2002 Honda Metropolitan II
2012 Genuine Stella 4T
2012 Vespa LX 150

Peter Pan

Post by Peter Pan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:33 pm

there are still several 2016 models waiting in Costa Rica for a client.
Sophie Travelair = Patrol 2013
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon-Alaska-Oregon
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain = :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates) 3. at 42.386km
transmission: 1. 40.000km. 2. installed
Engine: 1. 43.388km crank replacement: Back on the road since 23.Okt.2019 :party:

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:39 am

For those of you who have bought new, in the Ural world, what was your experience with dealers and the MSRP?
My 2016 CT was about 11.2k (English pounds!) which I thought was quite steep. But I figured divide that by two, that's very good for a new solo or a new sidecar on its own. Hitherto I'd bought a new Piaggio X10 maxi scooter in 2015 for about 5.5k. I see now a new Moto Guzzi V85TT (which I could fancy, being a MG fan and in the owner's club) is 10 - 11k upwards so I feel a lot better about what the Ural cost. Still seems like a good deal with sidecar thrown in. Try shopping for a sidecar to put onto your solo, I did a few years ago when I started thinking seriously about going to 3 wheels, some of the all-up prices were eye-watering. I mean like new car territory. :o
Last edited by Mr Wazzock on Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:42 am

Oh and - :D - the " experience" was painless. Dealer did everything like getting it registered etc., all I had to do was get insurance.
Mike H

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:45 am

PS: best thing about buying new, no previous owner half-assed modifications or bodges! I swear every used vehicle I've ever bought has had some stupid thing on it, sometimes a serious cock-up.

Also, nothing is worn out and needs replacing! :D
Mike H

Happytrails

Post by Happytrails » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:53 am

Mr Wazzock wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:45 am
...best thing about buying new, no previous owner half-assed modifications or bodges! :D
No bodges is great and the 2yr warantee is nice too. A 3rd yr even nicer. Have seen them make the $2350 offer before, something about trading in your Ural in on a new one. :)

Ural of Pittsburgh offering $500 in accessories on pre-orders for 2020's if that helps
-JR

2018 Ural GearUp, Urban Camo
1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"

RC20

Post by RC20 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:01 pm

My dealer gave me a number of small discounts that were nice, but no budge on the price. So I paid the full shipping and setup.

Hindsight I might have been able to do better, but I had saved the money up for it and the dealer (Portland) was cooperative and worked hard to get the required stiff some of which was iffy as to getting to the machine from Redmond. It was setup right and I have had zero issues with it that are dealer related (a couple of loose steering bracketed fasteners that backed out twice before they got stretched right to stay)

Salem I believe cuts prices down more. So its some and some. I would have had to back track to McMinnville to see the Air Museum there and it was horridly hot and humid when I got down there. Saved me that pain.

In essence I was able to fly in, load up, do the paperwork, go over the machine with them (with a lot of helpful guidance) and get out of Portland onto McMIinnville just fine. Not sure what that is worth cost wise to anyone else but it meant a lot to me.

Pittsburgh clearly is the one that does the best or equalls the best deals. But in my case getting it delivered to a pickup point would be????

Overall I might have saved a grand with other option and caused myself issues in pickup and getting to where I wanted to go. As it was my route out of McMinnvile did go through Salem and once I got into the mountains I was ok on the heat.

If I had a home base in the States I was staring form then Pittsburgh would have been a great choice.

Its reflective to your situation and no two are exactly the same.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

rivers

Post by rivers » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:06 pm

Inked, been my experience with two new Ural purchases, expect to pay pretty close to MSRP+transport+set-up+T&L. Other than on the in stock previous year models the dealer is sitting on, that's when you'll get the biggest discount. In the US I think the new models are avail in the spring. Other than that dealer incentives offered are the norm. That could include free install(labor) of options, free initial break-in first service at 500km etc,extended warranty? It'll vary from dealer to dealer.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:26 pm

You'd think that a rebate on the 2019's might be more in store for this time of year. At least it is for most automobiles. But Ural is a select brand and the changeover for the old EFI to new/current EFI system may be why the dealers still have some on their showroom floors and/or warehouses?

Does sound like a pretty good incentive though to get them moving.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only) *NOT running amok, out for Bottom & Top-End Rebuild.
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

List what you "have", keep the others in your precious memory bank.