12 volt blankets

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Birdy
Comrade General
Comrade General

Re: 12 volt blankets

Post by Birdy » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:28 pm

I want to point out the bad thing about heated gear, if it craps out on a ride and you don't have back up you could be in be trouble. I had a Buell at the time, no windshield at all and it was about 20 deg F. I had a cheap heated liner under a Fieldshear leather jacket and leather pants heavy gloves and "Turtle Fur" hood so I was fairly warm. I was about 15 miles from home when I noticed it was getting cold and I mean COLD and fast. the cheap liner had died. I headed home as fast as I could but in that short time I was damn near hypothermic. The point is if you're going to depend on heated gear make sure to have back up gear of some sort. Once your core temperature starts to fall on a bike your body can not generated enough heat to warm back up and it will continue to fall. I was lucky but if I'd been further from home I'd had to find some place to warm up as it was it was a close thing. I was shaking so bad I almost couldn't get the front door open. Live and learn they say, I did always have extra gear and a back up plan in bad weather.
2017 Ural Patrol, Lenin's Revenge
2012 Kawasaki Versys, Mini Me
2008 Royal Enfield...the money pit, undergoing restoration

BinDerSmokDat
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:17 am

+1 on keeping the core warm.
I wear a heated Kanetsu Windstopper liner and it keeps me so toasty heated gloves are not needed. But even without being plugged in, it is good for short trips down to 35F.

With our extra storage, there is no excuse not to carry an extra layer or two. A windbreaking liner and fleece can each be compressed to fit in about a quart-sized ziplock each.

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:35 pm

BinDerSmokDat wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:17 am
I wear a heated Kanetsu Windstopper liner and it keeps me so toasty heated gloves are not needed.

A windbreaking liner and fleece can each be compressed to fit in about a quart-sized ziplock each.
Very similar to my M.O.

The green garment is a windstopper jersey lined with Gore-Tex. Worn as the outermost-layer just under a riding jacket, it really does block the wind, of any temperature, at riding speeds. Non-stretchy and with comparatively slender tailoring, as a motorcycle-specific garment should be.

The other item is the Kanetsu Airvantage electric vest. Internal air bladders serve to press the heating elements against the wearer's body (he inflates them to his level of comfort). The heat provided by the wires is distributed and preserved by the now-warmed air in the bladders. A 2-for-1 deal.

Both items are made in the U.S.A. and sold by Aerostitch. That should tell you all you need to know about their pricing. Penniless bastards need not apply. :wink:

Not pictured, but stuff I also use and recommend as prevailing temperature trends dictate:

-Heated grips (ok, the right grip is evident in my photo)
-Heated gloves (12V is warmer, but a pair with lithium batteries will also provide yeoman service)
-Wool balaclava
-A spare turtleneck, laundered and rolled up in a ziplock baggie, similar to what Rich mentions
-Pinlock-equipped face shield in each helmet (and I've proved that their practical performance threshold ends below 20F)
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:56 pm

BinDerSmokDat wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:30 pm
Being wind-proof is as, or maybe MORE, important than heated gear.
Cold weather monkey protocol in this order...

Tonneau cover left on to limit air into the sidecar, leave unbuttoned only at the rear so the monkey can stick out.
Image this

A mate with a Dalesman gave me my first ride in the hack, was early March and cold, and I had put on thermal combinations type underwear. There's a helluva gale comes in thru the "side door", and even with all my biking clobber on including fullface helmet and biker's gloves, no tonneau cover, I was frozen.

NB: I didn't find the stock hack screen to be much use, being too far away, I felt. Lots of wind blast around the edges.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:08 am

I don't run hand control covers or use electric gloves.
I find the Moose Competition Handguards do a decent job of keeping wind off my hands and I run a little "hot blooded" anyway.

Stop here, the rest is just babbling... :lol:

My usual pair of wet weather/winter gloves are Olympias with nylon gauntlets and Thinsulate that I've had for about 10 years.
Every year I wipe the road salt off them, put them on and then swipe a gob of black shoe polish and rub it in good with the gloves still on to restore some color, like w@$#ing your hands.
Then after that dries, with gloves on, I grab a rag and do the same to restore some gloss and shine.
Finally, with gloves on still, I take a small dab of Vaseline and rub it into the leather parts until it's worked in well and there is no greasy feel left.
These are a little worn but still intact and have held up better than I could have ever asked for.
While there is no armor, the leather and insulation are just thick enough that I feel well protected.

For Dry and REALLY cold I have a pair of gloves that are actually fleece, individually fingered gloves inside an insulated nylon "mitten."
You can't flip the mitten part off like some I've seen but the individual fingers inside the nylon shell offer more than enough touch control to work turn signals, switches and give good throttle feedback.
Not sure where or when I got them; they were likely from WalMart or something similar, bought in a pinch. No name brand.
The nylon cover makes them VERY warm, so these only get used in the coldest weather, sub-freezing or all day off-roading at close to freezing.
They are not as water resistant as my Olympias but just as warm when wet.
I don't wear them for wet riding because touch and feedback suffer when they are soaked unlike the Olympias.
I also keep these in the trunk in the winter in case a buddy or monkey has inadequate gloves.

Bullethead

Post by Bullethead » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:56 pm

Okay, answering for darling wifey here: 12 V lap blanket great, two thumbs up on the tonneau cover being used as wind break, hack windscreen a must. She also notes that a neoprene jacket...like those used in sailing circles...with thermal undies and a fleece mid-layer is enough down to about forty-five oF at fifty mph. Below/beyond that it’s time for a modified US military issue mummy bag. PITA to get into but good for any temperature/speed I can tolerate for more that ten minutes.

As for me, too damned right on that hack windscreen putting the wind up a fella’s nickers. That said, any input on the Ural fairing breaking up that flow.
Way Out Western NY
2018 Gear Up; The Black Pearl
1977 Yamaha XS650D
2002 Honda Metropolitan II
2012 Genuine Stella 4T
2012 Vespa LX 150

Happytrails

Post by Happytrails » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:05 pm

Need to dig up the heated gear, its cold outside! Not sure if its better to hook the stuff up to the euro outlet in the sidecar or to the tender hookup :)

For passengers would recommend a buff around neck to keep the cold air off and you could try out the temperature control base layer stuff. I've been wearing a rukka outlast temperature control shirt that works great as a base layer. Its real nice for keeping me warm, it retains the heat and releases it when needed but its not as good at keeping me cool. Cyclegear has an equivalent thats supposed to be decent and not as costly. I never used to be a believer in layering until recently. Its been working out better than I expected for sure.

Haven't added a sidecar windshield yet. Don't think I'll be giving a lot of cold weather rides so I might just hold off adding one until spring. I was asking a couple taller riders if they had problems with wind deflecting on them and I guess it doesn't or they didn't notice it. I'm about average height so I'll probably get blasted too. This might be a nice time of year to add leg guards? :roll:

-JR

2018 Ural GearUp, Urban Camo
1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"

snowymonkey

Post by snowymonkey » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:29 am

The sidecar screen blasting the driver is real, but can be negated with any sort of windscreen on the bike. I run a small Puig screen on the bike when I have the screen on the hack. It breaks up the airflow just enough that I don’t get the blasting effect (I guess it sends the air over the hack windscreen) :cheers:

FD818259-92DE-46EE-83E3-7B6EE81659AB.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“ The music moves me, but it moves me ugly” - Nickoli

2008 Ural Patrol - “Toothless”

Lake City Florida

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:44 am

S 854 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:27 am
Best use for the blanket is to put it under the monkey... as previously stated, they’re not wind proof— but if you trap the heat between the seat and the monkey they work reasonably well...

Heated seats would be better still... 8)

I bought Julie a “German sniper bag” several years back... wind proof, waterproof and (with her 12v blanket inside) rather cozy... the bags hood even fits over her helmet (them krauts must have gianormous heads!)...best part is the lower half zips off so she can walk around without having to remove the entire bag... not exactly “black tie required” elegant but very serviceable...

5D812061-EEBF-42CF-90F6-9B1B473D0F1C.jpeg
I have one of those, I traded for when cross training with our sister Bundeswehr armor unit.

It always amuses me when I see them refereed to "sniper" sleeping bags when in reality they were mostly for vehicle crew, and support personnel.

Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:53 pm

I always say, “If ya pay attention you’ll learn something new every day.”

I bought Julie’s from Sportsman Guide several years back... Sniper Bag is how they advertised it...

Makes sense they would be for vehicle crews... and getting the info straight from the horses mouth adds credibility... thanks...

Although, during any upcome UDF encounters I’ll probably continue to refer to it as a “sniper bag”... has a certain panache... and the chance the interlocutor has any affiliation with a Bundeswehr armor unit is highly unlikely... :lol:
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

Robert Whitten
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Robert Whitten » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:42 pm

Experience with rual king. Went Thursday to get one. Floor manager said they did not carry them. @ home checked & net said they had them. Called Thursday night. They had 14 in stock. Called manager Friday. She said they had 24 in stock. Took me one with my name on it up front. Told me to call her (manager by name) to front when I pick it up & she personally would take care of me. Drove 10 mi out of way to get there. 10 extra mile to pick up (next Thursday) I'm sure she will give me a decent discount. If not, I'll still take it but will not patronize again if I can avoid it.
04 Troika,
10 BMW's
3 Harleys
1 Honda
1 Kawasaki
1 Suzuki

snowymonkey

Post by snowymonkey » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:07 am

Ref. my last post. I just realized I was remembering the sidecar windscreen blasting all wrong. When I first got my rig it had a big aftermarket windscreen that would push the air into my Sidecar windscreen and then force it up my right nostril (unless I was wearing my full face helmet). That was why I bought the smaller one, or run sans bike screen. Sorry about the misinformation. Been a while since I used that windscreen.....
“ The music moves me, but it moves me ugly” - Nickoli

2008 Ural Patrol - “Toothless”

Lake City Florida