2017+ Sidecar seat upgrade

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
redtails
Comrade General
Comrade General

2017+ Sidecar seat upgrade

Post by redtails » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:51 pm

I have a 2014 and am considering upgrading my SC seat. How do the older/newer seats compare?
- Jon
2014 Patrol Red/White "Uranus"

Lofty
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: 2017+ Sidecar seat upgrade

Post by Lofty » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:00 pm

My '18 has the new style seat, and I've ridden as monkey in a 2011. A sample size of two. Hope it helps.

-2011 (representing the old style): Ugh. I don't know the precise provenance of the seat, but it was lumpy and sorely undersprung. That style of seat doesn't look comfortable, and in my experience, it wasn't (this will likely vary according to your passenger). No under-seat storage.

-2018 (new): Much better. Mild sculpting for aesthetics and passenger comfort. Very firm foam. The lower cushion is retained to the under-seat storage tray by a small latch mechanism. The latch is dodgy to operate with gloved hands, so I added a pull lanyard that has the dual benefit of keeping passengers in line. :D

Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:58 am

I came across, & traded for, one of RICH MAUNDS seats. It's RED tuck & roll, contoured, & extremely comfortable. Very similar to the classic seats Steib put In their sidecars. Very glad I got it. It also came with A matching RED Windshield Bib.
Not sure if Rich still makes them or not - but top quality.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current Motorcycles: Improved 2002 Ural Tourist.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:29 pm

According to my wife, the new seat is much more comfortable than the old one. She's usually oblivious to such thing, but immediately noticed the difference in comfort. I noticed she just settles in and stays put, without moving and squirming around on longer rides.

The old seat is a excessively soft, lumpy pillow with cover stretched over plywood boards. The new seat is ergonomically designed and made by an actual Italian seat maker. The under seat storage is another plus, I keep my jack, tire pump, and other necessities there.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70