Tickets for flying the chair?

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Waffl6
Comrade General
Comrade General

Tickets for flying the chair?

Post by Waffl6 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:52 pm

Today I had a run-in with an undercover police officer for flying the chair. Granted, I was probably doing it for half a mile or so.

No ticket or written warning, just a verbal warning. The first thing he said to me was, "Pretty slick, right? Just a little excessive." He then asked if I was recording on my helmet camera, and at the time I wasn't which I think actually helped. Maybe he thought I was being a hooligan for YouTube.

So...has anyone else been pulled over for flying the chair? Any tickets because of it? What would they even give you, reckless driving?
No longer the youngest guy in the room, nor the youngest Ural owner on the East coast. Title lost to PeninsulaRider.

Current bikes: 1987 Rebel 250, 1990 Ninja 500, 2009 Honda Shadow 750, 2006 CBR600F4I, 2011 Ural Patrol T - I'm bad to her, so she's bad to me.

Past bikes: 1994 Katana 600

Fairfax Virginia

snowymonkey
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: Tickets for flying the chair?

Post by snowymonkey » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:11 pm

Never heard of that one. I know around here (Florida) popping a wheelie is pretty much an instant ticket. Don’t know exactly what it is , but probably reckless driving.

I doubt you could get in trouble for it coming up briefly because that can happen just riding........ but seems like you might have been a bit long, tipping into the intentional side of things.

...... all that being said..... I’m the pot calling the kettle black, because I too love flying the chair :cheers:
“ The music moves me, but it moves me ugly” - Nickoli

2008 Ural Patrol - “Toothless”

Lake City Florida

Waffl6
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Waffl6 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:07 am

snowymonkey wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:11 pm
...... all that being said..... I’m the pot calling the kettle black, because I too love flying the chair :cheers:
How can you not???? :D

If I go out on the Ural and the chair doesn't come up, it's not a real ride! Although I did not fly the chair today when transporting the engine from my Rebel 250 in the sidecar, which I did immediately before getting pulled over.
No longer the youngest guy in the room, nor the youngest Ural owner on the East coast. Title lost to PeninsulaRider.

Current bikes: 1987 Rebel 250, 1990 Ninja 500, 2009 Honda Shadow 750, 2006 CBR600F4I, 2011 Ural Patrol T - I'm bad to her, so she's bad to me.

Past bikes: 1994 Katana 600

Fairfax Virginia

harryball

Post by harryball » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:55 am

I was asked if it was legal by a cop. He was stopped to get lunch as I turned into the restaurant and it really was "unintentional" though not unexpected. I turned in sharp, wheel came up and I went with it maybe 15 feet before it naturally dropped back down. I told him "actually, it's the law... of physics. If you want to ride one of these you'd better be prepared to handle it WHEN it happens". Rest of the conversations was about the bike.

I would think wreckless driving would be the worst he could give you for flying the chair "unnecessarily and with intent".
---
2017 - cT - "Georgia" My wife's rig.
2017 - M70/Retro, Sigmund. My wife's other rig.
Robert
http://HabitatForBats.org - Give a bat a home!

Peter Pan

Post by Peter Pan » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:06 am

Worst mechanical that might happen is to damage spokes and bend a rig...which was the most frequent repair I used to have to do on the MZ-rig. The frame was made out of such soft sheet metal and tubing that I had to bend back to square swings and front s/c fist about every 3-5 month.
Ticket I hadn't yet, but in one occasion I definetely got ashamed for flying the MZ on cobble stone street. 2 old grannys got so afraid I feared for their health.
Sophie Travelair = Patrol 2013
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon-Alaska-Oregon
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain = :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates) 3. at 42.386km
transmission: 1. 40.000km. 2. installed
Engine: 1. 43.388km crank replacement: Back on the road since 23.Okt.2019 :party:

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

Manscout

Post by Manscout » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:38 am

What I can figure out (at least in Wyoming) is that I could not get a ticket. If a was driving it in a manner that it was not intended, then I could. However, IMZ puts the directions in the manual and even tells you how to practice, and a skilled driver can easily ride down the road flying the chair. This points out that the manufacturer knows this will happen and it a possibility while driving; therefore intended.

Even if you don't agree, or the cop, that is why we have laws. I think this is also why they put it in the instructions.
"It goes nowhere fast, and everywhere cool".

2011 Ural Patrol
Gillette, Wy
Instagram: manscoutwyo

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:15 pm

It helps not to attract the attention of the police, but it's not always possible. I was pulled over in the 1970's for Loud Pipes on my Triumph Tiger.
I respectfully explained that the mufflers were stock. At that point the officer stuck 2 fingers up the muffler to check baffling - before I could say anything, He burned his fingers badly. He seemed to get really angry at that point - & told me gruffly to get going - & accelerate more quietly in future. I'll never forget it.
Current Motorcycles: Improved 2002 Ural Tourist.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:43 pm

LOL...a Ural is titled as a motorcycle...so a cop is going to give you a ticket for having two wheels on the ground while operating a motorcycle?
I'll take that to court any day.

I know that hanging out of various parts of a Jeep or riding in the back of a pick-up truck is Section 39:4-69 - "Riding on part not intended for passengers prohibited" in NJ. A friend of mine once was standing up in my Jeep and I got the ticket for it as the operator.

But it makes me wonder, if I'm doing my Rollie Free impression and laying on the seat, could I get a riding on parts unintended?
An officer could more easily make a reckless driving charge in that case, as my feet cannot operate the shifter or rear brake in that position.

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:47 pm

Waffl6 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:52 pm
He then asked if I was recording on my helmet camera, and at the time I wasn't which I think actually helped. Maybe he thought I was being a hooligan for YouTube.
He was more likely worried you were taping the traffic stop.
Some states have laws against filming police while they perform their duties.
These have been challenged in some states but not all.
I remember Maryland as being one of the states with that law on the books and I think it was challenged but not sure of the current law.

LRP
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by LRP » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:18 pm

Florida passed a law to make it illegal to wheelie a motorcyle, to stand up on the foot pegs, or to travel at excessive speed. At the time
the law was passed, it was common for me to see bikes wheelying down the interstate at 80 mph +.

First offense is $1000, 2nd offense is $2500, third is a felony with loss of license for 10 years and a fine of $5000.

When it was first enacted, JohnBG and I were stuck in Main Street traffic by Boot Hill at Daytona Bike Week. The rock and roll blasting
from the bar got to John and he stood up on his Raven's foot pegs and started to make the rig sway with the music. A female police
officer came zipping up on a Sedgway and lit into him, threatening a ticket. The fact that she was standing on her ride didn't matter.
I carry the sidecar training manual in the trunk to show an officer the recommended training to fly the chair incase it happens
unintentionately.
Army Bird Dog Pilot, Nam.
2018 CT
Traded '08 Patrol
2008 Royal Enfield cast iron military
1983 Honda Passport

19 previous motos

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:41 pm

Waffl6 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:52 pm
Today I had a run-in with an undercover police officer for flying the chair. Granted, I was probably doing it for half a mile or so.
In the UK it might probably be "driving without due care and attention." Which could cover a multiple of things. Happening accidentally is one thing, he obviously thought you were taking the pi$$. :D
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

bratmanxj

Post by bratmanxj » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:01 pm

Illinois and I believe Indiana have "stunting" laws on the books that if the officer had a bad day I could easily see put against flying the chair. Since these are not speed machines I think you'd have a valid argument with the Yellow book as justification that its a standard practice for a sidecar rig.
1999 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
2007 Ural Tourist - The Big Red Brick
Chinese Knock off Honda Trail 70 rescued from the in-laws shed
1984 Suzuki LT125 Quadrunner - Sold off to a Friend
Boats, Jets Skis and Golf Carts...other fun stuff!

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:35 pm

It might make an interesting court case! :D
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Manscout

Post by Manscout » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:13 pm

LRP wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:18 pm
I carry the sidecar training manual in the trunk to show an officer the recommended training to fly the chair incase it happens
unintentionately.
Yep. Same here. :D
"It goes nowhere fast, and everywhere cool".

2011 Ural Patrol
Gillette, Wy
Instagram: manscoutwyo

on2wheels52
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by on2wheels52 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:53 pm

[/quote] If I go out on the Ural and the chair doesn't come up, it's not a real ride! Although I did not fly the chair today when transporting the engine from my Rebel 250 in the sidecar, which I did immediately before getting pulled over. [/quote]

Agreed (unless my wife is along).
I was part of a group Ural ride one weekend. I chose to be tail end Charlie since I was on a DL1000 (with a Ural tub). I was the only one to lift a wheel the entire weekend :(
'10 Patrol
DL650 (hacked) WR250R plus a few old crocks