New Year's Eve prank

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
codemonkey001
Party Member
Party Member

New Year's Eve prank

Post by codemonkey001 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:57 am

So I had a bright idea, which was unfortunately thwarted by freezing rain and the mind-numbing boredom of being in a college town during winter break. I found out that anyone can buy an Uber dome light off of Amazon for $22. So I ordered one.

My plan was to cruise the bars downtown to see who'd claim to be "Amanda Huggenkiss" or "Mike Hunt" when I pulled up. If someone actually tried to get in, I had a whole spiel ready to go:

"Are you a GUber Beta tester? Here's the deal. Know how you can order an Uber through the Google Maps app? Well you can. After 10 5-star ratings, if you're chosen a little motorcycle icon will show up and you can order a sidecar ride. Sorry, I'm not allowed to pick up anyone not chosen as a Beta tester."

If they were really insistent, my backup lie was "You know how Illinois repealed its helmet law a few years ago? Well, they didn't think to repeal the sidecar helmet law, so if you don't have a helmet, you can't ride".

Mounted a GoPro next to the Uber light, and took off for a night of frivolity.

Two hours later, I'm home and damp from riding in 37°F rain, nothing to show for it but video of mostly empty streets (other than pizza delivery guys).

Maybe in the spring when college students are back I'll try again. Meanwhile, I'm going to ride everywhere with the lamp and start people talking in this boring, non-partying little town.
2007 Patrol - Starbug
2015 Royal Enfield Classic 500 -Rocinante

BloNo Illinois

hotflash44
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Re: New Year's Eve prank

Post by hotflash44 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:46 am

shame you didn't get a bite! :cheers: :boogie:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

harryball
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by harryball » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:59 am

You need an Uber accomplice. Let them call you when they get a call so you can show up 2 minutes early to explain your car broke down but you are dedicated to getting them where they need to go. When the real Uber arrives he can get out and yell at you as you speed away and they can explain some nut keeps trying to steal his fairs.
---
2017 - cT - "Georgia" My wife's rig.
2017 - M70/Retro, Sigmund. My wife's other rig.
Robert
http://HabitatForBats.org - Give a bat a home!

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:16 pm

Well, you had good intentions.

Somebody should put one of those on a shopping cart and walk around town.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:39 pm

Country folks know how it works.

Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

codemonkey001
Party Member
Party Member

Post by codemonkey001 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:49 pm

harryball wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:59 am
You need an Uber accomplice. Let them call you when they get a call so you can show up 2 minutes early to explain your car broke down but you are dedicated to getting them where they need to go. When the real Uber arrives he can get out and yell at you as you speed away and they can explain some nut keeps trying to steal his fairs.
I don't have any friends that drive for Uber, and if I did they wouldn't stick around long because I'd constantly be lecturing them on how I find it immoral the Uber shifts the cost of ownership of capital to the workers, many of whom don't understand the cost of depreciation (often to their parents' car). Otherwise, that sounds like a fun idea.
Snakeoil wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:16 pm
Well, you had good intentions.

Somebody should put one of those on a shopping cart and walk around town.
I never use "LOL" unironically, because more often than not it's not literally true. In this case, however, I literally laughed out loud imagining that. Between your suggestion and harryball's, I think there's potential for a Youtube series.
2007 Patrol - Starbug
2015 Royal Enfield Classic 500 -Rocinante

BloNo Illinois

David Z

Post by David Z » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:09 pm

harryball wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:59 am
Last time I saw a cab driver upset with fair stealing, machine guns were drawn.
2016 Patrol "Mr. Breeze "

VWNate1
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by VWNate1 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:17 pm

What a great prank ! .

Di it again on July 4th when everyone's celebrating my Mother's birthday .

Stealing a Cabbie's fare, isn't fair ! :mrgreen: .
-Nate
'94 Tourist 650
'96 650 Solo
'10 Solo sT Crashed & Ruined 6.26.17 :cry:

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Location: The lower southern tier of central upstate NY ,Binghamton,NY

Post by cdscoot » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:26 pm

What a great idea ! Around here you would probably get lots of customers!
Craig
Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. Every morning is the dawn of a new error .
2010 Patrol T
2016 BMW R1200GS