Question for military or civ dod

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
africalight
Party Member
Party Member

Question for military or civ dod

Post by africalight » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:21 pm

Hello all,

We have been looking into an oconuc pcs to Brussels lately. Anyone had experience taking their ural? I read that we could put it in hhg and not be a pov.

I was reading the drivers license section for Benelux and it says that the motorcycle endorsement doesn’t cover trikes or sidecars. That just confuses the crap out of me. Since we haven’t had an offer to go yet I am holding off on asking cpac these questions. Any experiences you guys can share with taking your ural overseas would be helpful.

Thanks
Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Patrol-Totally Rebuilt Engine and going through break in again

coyote
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: Question for military or civ dod

Post by coyote » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:37 pm

Never took motorcycle overseas, but when I moved around CONUS motorycles and boats counted as HHG, and it will count against your allowable weight.
2014 "Sage Green" Gear Up
1989 Honda Hawk
2004 Yamaha R1
2019 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse

Mr Wazzock
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by Mr Wazzock » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:47 pm

Had to look up CONUS and HHG.

AH!! S-p-l-a-s-h .....

:lol:
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:05 pm

africalight wrote:We have been looking into an oconuc pcs to Brussels lately.
Anyone had experience taking their ural?
I read that we could put it in hhg and not be a pov.
I worked in logistics ("Traffic Management") when on active duty. Your question would have landed directly in my wheelhouse. When I was in uniform back in the day, members' vehicles, including motorcycles, were always shipped as POVs, never as household goods.

Your individual shipping allowance is probably determined by your rank and agency/branch for whom you work. It may also be linked to the type of orders that have been issued, and/or the length of your overseas tour. It's best to discuss this matter with the relevant authority.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

David Z

Post by David Z » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:10 pm

Never shipped a Ural, but have had a non sidecar bike (a motorcycle is a motorcycle if they have a issue with sidecar) shipped in household goods to Guam and back. That was years ago and things may have changed but it was no problem, except for the dent they put in the gas tank.
2016 Patrol "Mr. Breeze "

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tin Man » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:57 pm

Back in 1999 or 2000?, my oldest daughter got posted to England from the States. She left her bike (2 wheel) behind until she got settled and checked out the area. Three months later I took it to the transport facility where it was shipped as a POV.
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

.........if you see something that needs doing, just do it........

africalight
Party Member
Party Member

Post by africalight » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:20 pm

So I dropped this question on a guy that just pcs’ed to Germany. Regular 2 wheeled bike. He said they shipped his in bike and trailer both in hhg. His truck counted as his pov.

The question regarding the endorsement on the license he had no answer for other than Belgium is it’s own country:)

We would be moving as a gs14 so our hhg allowance would be 18,000lbs. I can guarantee we would be no where close to that because we would leave most stuff here.

Thanks for the input on this end. Guam sounds like it would be one heck of a move. Belgium from Iowa would seem like moving neighborhoods (mostly German and Belgian settlers here)

Ryan

WEGUNTER
Commissar
Commissar

Post by WEGUNTER » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:50 am

My take on the endorsement. spent nearly 10 years in Stuttgart. The endorsement you require is a DOD requirement and not one of the country. The liscense you will be issued will be a DOD driver's lic (which is recognized by the host nation). Motorcycles entering any military post regardless of country (CONUS OR OCONUS) have to have a MC endorsement.
Yes I am familiar with the exemption for trikes and sidecars, but this is a little understood exception. I argued with gate guards and DOD lic agencies for months (even showed them the regulation) and most would not budge. Finally gave up and borrowed a friend's solo and went through the stupid motorcycle safety course. Once you get that MC Safety certificate you can then go and register your rig. I know it sounds stupid, but that is the easiest way to do it.
Some of the larger military posts (like Ft Bragg) are now offering special trike/sidecar safety courses, but that is not going to do you any good since you will have to take the driver's test all over again once you get there.

africalight
Party Member
Party Member

Post by africalight » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:33 pm

Now that is some info no one had for me. Holy crap I would have been really up a creek!!! Thanks for that so I don’t end up chasing my tail any more than I have to

Ryan

mattzahr
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by mattzahr » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:33 pm

Your best bet is to contact USTRANSCOM (SDDC) Surface Deployment Distribution Command (US Army)., Scott AFB,IL. They handle ALL DoD MIL and HHG moves - 618 256-0110 is the main line to Scott - they will get you the correct number to answer questions.
'16 cT - Terracotta aka Orange
Proud member of the "Group W Bench"

WEGUNTER
Commissar
Commissar

Post by WEGUNTER » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:44 am

It is actually pretty easy. When you arrive in country (both DOD civilian and military) you will go through a two week long in processing (housing, finance etc, etc) which will include a driver's test on host nation driver's laws and regulations. Inquire about the next MC safety course at that time. Bottom line: you cannot register a bike and get plates without that MC card. Not sure if they will honor an MC card issued in the states or not. Might be a chance you could get your endorsement here and show up with it already in hand. Worth a try, Regarding shipping. Just put the dam thing in house hold baggage. It will go into a container so it will be protected on the trip over there. You will be required to drain all of the fluids from it though.

Wanderrad
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Wanderrad » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:52 am

I have shipped motorcycles in HHGs twice. Never had to drain the fluids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
-Scot

Current rides:
2018 Gear Up, Olive Drab Matte "Bad Penny"
2018 H-D Road King Special, Industrial Gray Denim

WEGUNTER
Commissar
Commissar

Post by WEGUNTER » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:17 am

hey Wanderrad, Long time no hear. Just retired last year. Long way and time from Devens. Maybe it depends on the shipper. They made me do it last time.

Wanderrad
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Wanderrad » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:44 am

Hi Bill. Congrats on your retirement! I’ve got a TDY trip in a couple of months to Hanscom AFB. Going to check out Devens while there. Haven’t seen it since ‘94.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
-Scot

Current rides:
2018 Gear Up, Olive Drab Matte "Bad Penny"
2018 H-D Road King Special, Industrial Gray Denim

WEGUNTER
Commissar
Commissar

Post by WEGUNTER » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:08 am

Not much of Devens left to see. Most of the area got bull dozed for new development. Low sexurity prison is up in the area where the team rooms used to be. Only thing you will recognize is the historic houses around the parade field. The National Guard still maintains part of the base and there is a small PX. The old German/Italian POW graveyard is still there.