Harley-Davidson Close a Wisconsin Factory to Move Production to Thailand?

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
coyote
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: Harley-Davidson Close a Wisconsin Factory to Move Production to Thailand

Post by coyote » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:48 am

hotflash44 wrote:i agree with most of what you suggest my job wasent effected by globalization at all, im just trying to say for better or worse its probably to late to change the course of this ship. and i hope the new proposed tariffs are just a bluff to better negotiations. I feel its going to back fire badly. :? :cheers:
I changed it because I realized you might think I meant you personally which I didn’t, I just wasn’t quick enough :D

Well either way, to bring it away from the soapbox, I wouldn’t want to be IMZ US right now, this is something that would keep me up at night, not knowing whether some government decision will wipe out my business overnight.
2014 "Sage Green" Gear Up
1989 Honda Hawk
2004 Yamaha R1
2019 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse

windmill
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by windmill » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:59 am

coyote wrote:And I’m sorry but if someone’s job was given away to a foreign unskilled worker, then they may want to reevaluate their choices
The problem is that there's also significant peripheral loss to supporting vendors, transportation, and small businesses.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

hotflash44
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by hotflash44 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:08 am

windmill wrote:
coyote wrote:And I’m sorry but if someone’s job was given away to a foreign unskilled worker, then they may want to reevaluate their choices
The problem is that there's also significant peripheral loss to supporting vendors, transportation, and small businesses.
Agree, cant see how at this point in our history raising tariffs will help. hope its just some bluff/strategy for negotiations. PS and im nowhere near a political progressive! i like the old days minus a few issues. :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Daisy Cutter
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: Harley-Davidson Close a Wisconsin Factory to Move Production to Thailand?

Post by Daisy Cutter » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:54 am

Harley has been building the Street and Street Rod (xg500, xg750, xg750a) in India for the Asian market. The same models sold here in the US are "built" in the States but mostly from foreign parts. I own a 2017 street rod and I haven't found a part on it yet that doesn't say "Made in some Asian country" on it but the vin designation indicates it was built in Kansas City. It's also all metric

*This is my opinion ONLY!*
This whole "Poor Harley" thing has been going on for a while. New Harley sales haven't been what they'd like them to be and everyone claims that they aren't targeting young riders. I believe that sales are down because "younger riders" aren't buying new Harleys, they're taking advantage of the overwhelming number of used Harleys available on the secondary market that are nearly new and a lot cheaper. I believe that the Average guy buying a brand new Harley, by the time he gets out the door with his $25k-$40k new hog is afraid to ride it. Afraid that racking up miles will lower the value of his new prized chrome wagon. So after 2-3 years of rolling it out of the garage to w@$# it and ride it 5-10 miles then w@$#ing it again and putting it away until the next sunny weekend he's compelled to sell it. Enter the next generation who cant afford a brand new bike (even though they'll finance one for you for 7 years :shock:) and these sales aren't reflected in Harley's calculations. Personally I believe that Harley is trying to combat this trend by offering crazy high trade in amounts to 1. get people on a new bike and 2. get some of the used ones off of the market.
*Again just my opinion*
Last edited by Daisy Cutter on Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
North Alabama
2017 Ural Gear Up
2018 Harley Sportster Iron 1200
2018 Royal Enfield Classic 500

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:11 pm

They announced the closure many weeks ago, way before the tariff's issue was raised. This was in the works for a long time.
And supposedly the foreign made HD's are for the foreign market. It'll be an interesting exercise because in all the travels I have made abroad the pull to HD in every country is that it is "American Made", one of the icons of our identity whether you like them or not.
Will it have that appeal going forward... who knows? Apparently the Company is willing to take that chance.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only) *NOT running amok, out for Bottom & Top-End Rebuild.
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

List what you "have", keep the others in your precious memory bank.

bgenest

Post by bgenest » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:41 pm

coyote wrote:
I have strong opinions on this based on economics, finance, and business background, but simply fighting to return us to an Industrial Age of unskilled manufacturing is not progress or the way forward. Historically, tariffs are only good for politics, in the end the consumer is the one affected negatively. The world is getting smaller with or without us, and not taking advantage of globalization to our own benefit will quickly see us fall behind the rest of the world.

And I’m sorry but if someone’s job was given away to a foreign unskilled worker, then they may want to reevaluate their choices[/quote]

I agree coyote +1
2015 Burgundy Patrol "Stickee Monkee"

JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary

Post by JohnBG » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:21 pm

You guys would be all about it if they moved the H-D plant to Irbit.
John Grocke aka "JohnBG"
Site Administrator - sovietsteeds.com

Current Rides:
'06 Ural Raven - "Vorona"
'09 Kawasaki KLR650 - "Madea"

History:
'98.5 Ural Tourist - "Valentina" - Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Harley Road King FLHPI
1997 Harley Electra Glide FLHTPI
Honda Nighthawk 650 from the mid-80's
1980 Suzuki RM125T
1970 Honda CL100

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Daisy Cutter
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Daisy Cutter » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:09 pm

JohnBG wrote:You guys would be all about it if they moved the H-D plant to Irbit.
:clap:
Mike
North Alabama
2017 Ural Gear Up
2018 Harley Sportster Iron 1200
2018 Royal Enfield Classic 500

Michal
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Michal » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:45 pm

Harley already sells made in India 750cc bikes in Europe. HD has never been known for high quality standards but "made in India" has even much worse reputation than "made in China".

If there will ever be prohibitive tariff on Russian production, you would not get parts shortage because majority of Ural parts are already made outside Russia, mostly by western companies. If Russia gets isolated, it would be easier to build Urals outside Russia than inside because you can find a mid-size business already bending and welding tubes in every industrial city and alu foundry in every country.

Regarding job outsourcing, you cannot do much with that when equal skilled employees in other countries are willing to work for fraction of your wage and all products compete at the same market. The only long term result is that wages in cheap industrial countries rises and your does not (or even decreases with currency exchange rate).

Regarding that "unskilled manufacturing is not progress or the way forward", every nation got considerable amount of people not capable to learn any useful skill. You need some jobs for such type of citizens in every country of the world.
By my deeds I honor him, flat twin.
Михаил
2002 Днепр 650 Молодежный Чоппер (КМЗ-8.157.022)
2005 Урал 750 Спортсман (2WD)

BlueRockCrawler

Post by BlueRockCrawler » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:10 am

I feel bad for Harley, they are almost held hostage by their customers. The 600+ pound cruiser market is drying up, and anytime they try to make a modern bike, the wailing and crying from the base is so loud, they just give in and quit. The firebolt xb12r was a beast, the V-rod is an actual modern motorcycle, but neither sold and both were derided by the baby boomer pirate wannabees as "not a real Harley". Look at Gobi is acting like a frothing fanboy and talking shite on the Livewire "it's not a motorbike without 2-1 exhaust" or something to that effect in another thread. :lol: Add to that the fact that the used market is inundated with very low mileage, very shiny bikes, and they might be in real trouble.
2020 KTM Duke 790
2018 Suzuki DR 650
previous bikes were
1993 Suzuki DR 650
2015 Ural Patrol
1996 750 Magna
2002 750 shadow A.C.E.
2004 919
1985 500 Magna

lee 303
Comrade
Comrade

Post by lee 303 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:53 am

Labor costs may or may not be that significant on choosing whether to relocate to another nation or even interstate. Not that long ago (1990) Johnson Controls maker of the Die Hard battery was in front of the SCOTUS defending a well intentioned but legally flawed policy that prevented women of the of childbearing age from working in hazardous assembly area.The women were members of the U.A.W. who brought the suit against Johnson Controls. Meanwhile salvage batteries were exported to PRC vast heaps were doused with fuel and set on fire to burn off the cases, the electrolyte and heavy metals that didn't vaporize seeped into the ground water. After the open air burning the slag is scooped out and processed into new batteries. Fifteen years later The World Is Flat was a best seller even if the title should have been The Uneven Playing Field of environmental,labor,intellectual property laws.
One of the first U.S.companies to relocate to PRC was built on the wreckage of the GM owned Hyatt bearing. When the CEO of General Bearing tried to relocate the plant to Upstate New York the projected time line for permitting played a major role in his decision to move the factory equipment from New Jersey to PRC. Today the former factory site is leased to the Hyatt Hills municipal golf course. GM saved millions by capping over the environmental damage and restricting it's use to recreational use.
I bet it's safe to say that a generation from now the Red Chinese will start going green after some of the costs unfettered industry become appreciable.
Maybe we should all take up golf!
1996 tourist with mid 70s sidecar
1984 r80rt with sputnik
1967 r60/2 solo

hotflash44
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by hotflash44 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:05 am

:rant: :koolaid: :pot: the world is out of control,were doomed! afraid we have allowed everything to go down that proverbial slippery slope and i don't think we can climb back up.people of the very near future hang on, for a rough ride! Seems half the voting public and the current POTUS are trying to clime the slope to make America the country it once was, a daunting task, full of possible land mines. God Bless America i wish her well. :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Bilgekeeldave
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Bilgekeeldave » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:03 am

What is PRC?
Dave

RAMCO-Dnepr MT-16

windmill

Post by windmill » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:20 am

Bilgekeeldave wrote:What is PRC?
People's Republic of China
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

scottmastrocinque
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by scottmastrocinque » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:22 am

Bilgekeeldave wrote:What is PRC?
People's Republic of China. - I believe.
2017 Ural Gear Up Sahara
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2009 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
2008 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport
2008 Piaggio MP3 400ie
2007 Piaggio X9 500 Evoluzione
1997 Moto Guzzi V10 Centauro

"There comes a time in your life when you have to let go of all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus solely on the good. After all, life is too short to be anything but happy."