Harley-Davidson Close a Wisconsin Factory to Move Production to Thailand?

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.

rd.king
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Harley-Davidson Close a Wisconsin Factory to Move Production to Thailand

Post by rd.king » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:07 am

Is there a point to your post.
You make a false statement and then provide links to show that your statement is false.:)
1942 WLC Harley Davidson
1943 WLC Harley Davidson
1975 FLH Harley Davidson
2001 FLHR Harley Davidson
2006 Ural patrol

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gobium » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:22 am

rd.king wrote:Is there a point to your post.
You make a false statement and then provide links to show that your statement is false.:)
Yes.
Just hope not true. I m HD owner
If they move overseas, i m done with HD
Last edited by gobium on Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stryker
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by Stryker » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:26 am

It is unfortunate. But domestic demand for Harleys is falling even faster than domestic demand for all other bikes. It makes perfect sense from a business perspective. They are going to have to maximize their profits where they can or die as a company. Would you rather see them fail altogether. Only to be bought out by some huge Chinese or Indian conglomerate and then have all production moved to either China or India.IE Royal Enfield.
I bought one of the Tarriff free Toyota pick ups in 1989. We did the same to many foreign auto makers. move some production here or face large tarriffs. Do you think that BMW, Subaru, and Toyota moved production here just because the wanted to.
2016 GU Sportsman
1968 Ducati 250 Scrambler (long gone)

Stryker

Post by Stryker » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:27 am

If Harley is smart, Thai produced Harley's will remain in southeast Asia.
2016 GU Sportsman
1968 Ducati 250 Scrambler (long gone)

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gobium » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:28 am

Stryker wrote:It is unfortunate. But domestic demand for Harleys is falling even faster than domestic demand for all other bikes. It makes perfect sense from a business perspective. They are going to have to maximize their profits where they can or die as a company. Would you rather see them fail altogether. Only to be bought out by some huge Chinese or Indian conglomerate and then have all production moved to either China or India.IE Royal Enfield.
I bought one of the Tarriff free Toyota pick ups in 1989. We did the same to many foreign auto makers. move some production here or face large tarriffs. Do you think that BMW, Subaru, and Toyota moved production here just because the wanted to.
+1

rd.king
Comrade
Comrade

Post by rd.king » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:36 am

They are closing the Kansas city plant, as they no longer produce the V-rod or the Dyna models.
So they're moving the remaining model the sportster back to York Penn.
Doesn't make sense to cut production by 2/3's and keep it open.
The Asian plant is for the Asian market sale and has no bearing on north American production or sale.
A company has to change or die
1942 WLC Harley Davidson
1943 WLC Harley Davidson
1975 FLH Harley Davidson
2001 FLHR Harley Davidson
2006 Ural patrol

greywolf138
Comrade
Comrade

Post by greywolf138 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:37 am

Several years ago, when Harley sold out, they moved production to Mexico and sales plummeted. Wont the reaction be the same to a Thai produced Harley?
Primary ride, 2018 Kawasaki Concours
2018 Gear up
Secondary is a 2000 Triumph Adventurer 900
Soon to be 2018 Ural Gear Up
Previous ride 2009 Kawasaki Concours
past rides number about 25 from 175 two strokes to numerous 450's and 650"s

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gobium » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:40 am

greywolf138 wrote:Several years ago, when Harley sold out, they moved production to Mexico and sales plummeted. Wont the reaction be the same to a Thai produced Harley?
Is Wisconsin plant stay open ?
Lot of rumors that they are closing

coyote
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by coyote » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:45 am

greywolf138 wrote:Several years ago, when Harley sold out, they moved production to Mexico and sales plummeted. Wont the reaction be the same to a Thai produced Harley?
The Thai produced Harley won’t be brought into the US. Many manufacturers are beginning to do this, move production plants into the area of the market rather than shipping it around the world and paying tariffs.
2014 "Sage Green" Gear Up
1989 Honda Hawk
2004 Yamaha R1
2019 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gobium » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:49 am

coyote wrote:
The Thai produced Harley won’t be brought into the US. Many manufacturers are beginning to do this, move production plants into the area of the market rather than shipping it around the world and paying tariffs.
I see.
If that the case Ural will be retail 20k soon?

hotflash44
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by hotflash44 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:11 am

yeah and tariffs can effect foreign import replacement parts, wouldn't that be great higher priced Ural parts. hate to say it, but 50/60 years ago when the government decided to start to globalize our economy,to make trade more balanced and give our jobs away and zero to low import tariff. everyone then noticed, but didn't realize the long term consequences. think equal and fair tariffs sounds like a start for the correction to bring jobs back, but it might be to late. take the steel industry for example and all the other industry's big and small that want cheap foreign steel. i don't know what the answer is ,it was a shame this problem was started in the first place many years ago. seems the USA always is trying to help/fix other country's short comings. dont think modern Americans are going to except the bitter pill we need to swallow to try and get our jobs and industry back, high tariffs mean higher prices at the retail level, we are spoiled with cheap Chinese products. all this is IMHO of course. :x
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

coyote
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by coyote » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:15 am

gobium wrote: I see.
If that the case Ural will be retail 20k soon?
Not sure how you got that, but some Ural are already north of 20k. :D

They would go up in price if Ural tried to make in the US, if that’s what you mean.

But if Ural moved production to Mexico, that would be different. Could lower cost, faster turn around time for parts, and obviously less to ship. The way relations with Russia are going, they may have to move or tariffs will kill us or possibly no more Urals if a ban on Russian imports occurs. US has already banned import of some items from Russia for stupid reasons.
1989 Honda Hawk
2004 Yamaha R1

coyote
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by coyote » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:28 am

hotflash44 wrote:yeah and tariffs can effect foreign import replacement parts, wouldn't that be great higher priced Ural parts. hate to say it, but 50/60 years ago when the government decided to start to globalize our economy,to make trade more balanced and give our jobs away and zero to low import tariff. everyone then noticed, but didn't realize the long term consequences. think equal and fair tariffs sounds like a start for the correction to bring jobs back, but it might be to late. take the steel industry for example and all the other industry's big and small that want cheap foreign steel. i don't know what the answer is ,it was a shame this problem was started in the first place many years ago. seems the USA always is trying to help/fix other country's short comings. dont think modern Americans are going to except the bitter pill we need to swallow to try and get our jobs and industry back, high tariffs mean higher prices at the retail level, we are spoiled with cheap Chinese products. all this is IMHO of course. :x
I have strong opinions on this based on economics, finance, and business background, but simply fighting to return us to an Industrial Age of unskilled manufacturing is not progress or the way forward. Historically, tariffs are only good for politics, in the end the consumer is the one affected negatively. The world is getting smaller with or without us, and not taking advantage of globalization to our own benefit will quickly see us fall behind the rest of the world.

And I’m sorry but if someone’s job was given away to a foreign unskilled worker, then they may want to reevaluate their choices
1989 Honda Hawk
2004 Yamaha R1

hotflash44
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by hotflash44 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:38 am

coyote wrote:
hotflash44 wrote:yeah and tariffs can effect foreign import replacement parts, wouldn't that be great higher priced Ural parts. hate to say it, but 50/60 years ago when the government decided to start to globalize our economy,to make trade more balanced and give our jobs away and zero to low import tariff. everyone then noticed, but didn't realize the long term consequences. think equal and fair tariffs sounds like a start for the correction to bring jobs back, but it might be to late. take the steel industry for example and all the other industry's big and small that want cheap foreign steel. i don't know what the answer is ,it was a shame this problem was started in the first place many years ago. seems the USA always is trying to help/fix other country's short comings. dont think modern Americans are going to except the bitter pill we need to swallow to try and get our jobs and industry back, high tariffs mean higher prices at the retail level, we are spoiled with cheap Chinese products. all this is IMHO of course. :x
I have strong opinions on this based on economics, finance, and business background, but simply fighting to return us to an Industrial Age of unskilled manufacturing is not progress or the way forward. Historically, tariffs are only good for politics, in the end the consumer is the one affected negatively. The world is getting smaller with or without us, and not taking advantage of globalization to our own benefit will quickly see us fall behind the rest of the world.

And I’m sorry but if your job was given away to a foreign unskilled worker, then you may want to reevaluate your choices
i agree with most of what you suggest my job wasent effected by globalization at all, im just trying to say for better or worse its probably to late to change the course of this ship. and i hope the new proposed tariffs are just a bluff to better negotiations. I feel its going to back fire badly. :? :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)