Cheap but Reliable Bluetooth Motorcycle Helmet?

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
CrankyTom
Party Member
Party Member

Re: Cheap but Reliable Bluetooth Motorcycle Helmet?

Post by CrankyTom » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:14 am

Beastmaster wrote:I am in the same dilemma and here is what I have researched so far:

It appears that most of the pre-wired Bluetooth helmets lack quality in either the helmet or the sound system. As folks have mentioned earlier, you never want to cut corners on your helmet. Also, I've been told that most of the pre-wired systems are not that great a quality and if they break, you are screwed because many times they are part of the helmet itself.
That is when I decided to get a good helmet and buy the Bluetooth setup separately. As I looked at systems, I found some really good ones but they ran $150 EACH and I didn't want to double the price of my helmet just for music and to talk to my wife.
Then I came across some from Shark Motorcycle Audio and I liked the reviews. They go for $100 A SET and that was a price my budget liked more so I ordered a set and they came in yesterday. I'll be glad to post a review if anyone is interested.

Here is a link to their web site: https://www.sharkmotorcycleaudio.com/pr ... ation.html
I'd like a review after you use them for a while.
Money is always very tight around my house,always interested in cheaper alternatives if they work.I'd like to be able to talk to my passenger,but even at $100 I'd have to think hard about something I don't actually need.
I'm a Marxist at heart-you can't beat Groucho,Chico,and Harpo!
2012 Patrol T

bgenest
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by bgenest » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:01 pm

I have an older set of Shark SHKMHF6 bluetooth headsets. I could never get them to sync with each other for rider to pillion communication but the phone and GPS connections worked fairly well. I am looking to upgrade because, try as I might, I cannot understand monkey sign language. Please let us know how your headsets work out.
2015 Burgundy Patrol "Stickee Monkee"

rivers

Post by rivers » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:41 pm

bgenest wrote: try as I might, I cannot understand monkey sign language. Please let us know how your headsets work out.
Not hard if "pre-aranged". All you need is bathroom, hungry, ill, falling asleep, something fell off the bike. Don't get to complicated. You don't need antique store pull in.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:18 pm

:lol:
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

bgenest

Post by bgenest » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:39 am

"You don't need antique store pull in."

Oh yes I do!
2015 Burgundy Patrol "Stickee Monkee"

Beastmaster
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Beastmaster » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:26 pm

Okay, I installed mine this weekend in both mine and my wife's helmet. The installation was relatively straight forward and syncing them to my phone and together went just like in the video on the web site. They can hook up to my phone either by Bluetooth or with a cable that is included in the kit.
As far performance, all I was able to do was test them in my house since I won't get my bike for several weeks. The sound quality is really pretty good and comes across in stereo. The controls will take some getting used to and I have yet to check them on the road as well as battery life so more posts to come.
>>>The smartest man knows what he doesn't know.<<<
2018 M70 (Natasha) in Beautiful Southern Arizona (Tucson)

CrankyTom
Party Member
Party Member

Post by CrankyTom » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:06 am

Beastmaster wrote:Okay, I installed mine this weekend in both mine and my wife's helmet. The installation was relatively straight forward and syncing them to my phone and together went just like in the video on the web site. They can hook up to my phone either by Bluetooth or with a cable that is included in the kit.
As far performance, all I was able to do was test them in my house since I won't get my bike for several weeks. The sound quality is really pretty good and comes across in stereo. The controls will take some getting used to and I have yet to check them on the road as well as battery life so more posts to come.
Thanks for the post.
Sounds promising so far.
I'm a Marxist at heart-you can't beat Groucho,Chico,and Harpo!
2012 Patrol T

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:17 pm

I agree with pretty much all the posts that say a helmet purchase is a personal purchase. I'll give you my 2 cents worth on helmet priorities which includes 2 hard crashes in 50+ years of riding, one of which resulted in a ride in an ambulance and the other on the track that I was able to walk away from, albeit black and blue in places I'd never bruised like that before.

1. Quality - before anything else, the helmet must be a high quality item. I'm not talking about pretty finish. I'm talking about strength and protection.

2. Fit - the helmet must fit and fit well. Comfort is key to a good helmet. We all ride for enjoyment and a poorly fitting helmet is like going to a great movie and having an idiot behind you that won't shut up.

3. Weight - Always buy the lightest possible helmet that meets requirements 1 and 2. Many head and neck injuries are due to the weight of the helmet.

4. Durability - Straps, snaps, visor mechanism, interior linings, foam etc., needs to hold up for the life of the helmet.

4. Style - Although a full-face is always my first recommendation to anyone who asks, they are not for everybody. My friend ripped his entire lower lip off down to the end of his chin such that after he got out of the hospital, he looked like a ventriloquist dummy. He had a 3/4 quality helmet on. His injuries were not life threatening. He was doing about 15 mph at the time. Blacktop always wins out over flesh. If ripping your face off, losing all your teeth or similar is a risk you are willing to take, pick the style you prefer. But your face, your choice. Nobody else should make that choice for you.

As a general rule, anything that joins two features into one package and offers it at a reasonable price is giving you a cheap product on both fronts. This pretty much applies to everything out there, printers, coffee pots and helmets.

When someone tells me good helmets are too expensive, I always ask how much they value their head? I'm not saying that you have to spend $600 on a Arai. I crashed hard and hit my head on the track twice and ripped the face shield off one side in the track crash. I was wearing the top HJC helmet at the time. I think that helmet was in the $250 range back in 2007.

If all you can afford is $150, buy him a gift card that he can use in a shop or on line and in the card tell him it is for a helmet. The sentiment will be the same. You love him and want him to be safe.

I'll give you my last 2 cents on any system that connects the rider to his phone. I think it's a bad idea. Any distraction on a bike is a bad idea. I know the youth have grown up with phones and think they can do about anything and be on their phone. I think the statistics have proven that to be a erroneous assumption. Hell, people cannot adjust the radio and stay on the road in their cars.

Good luck on whichever path you decide to take.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
Certified Blatherer
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".