Cheap but Reliable Bluetooth Motorcycle Helmet?

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
France_Fadeley
Comrade
Comrade

Cheap but Reliable Bluetooth Motorcycle Helmet?

Post by France_Fadeley » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:40 am

Valentine's Day is coming :P and I am planning to give a good quality and reliable Bluetooth helmet to my husband. Actually, he loves bikes and their accessories, however, I am confused which one I should prefer. I read reviews about the best helmets ( https://10hightech.com/best-bluetooth-m ... le-helmet/ ) but I am just confused that if the price is less then quality would also be enough good or not.

I shortlisted following ones and please give me your generous advice in this regard:

Origine O528B Pilota
TORC T14B
O’Neal Commander (this one is expensive and I don't think I would buy it but its features are enough attractive)

Your suggestion will be appreciated and you can also suggest rather than shortlisted helmets but they must be less costly.

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Re: Cheap but Reliable Bluetooth Motorcycle Helmet?

Post by Tomcatfixer » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:51 am

What would help us to provide you with better answers would be where are you located (helmets available in your market that meet your country's safety standards), what is your budget (or, how valuable is your husband's head?), what style of helmet are you interested in purchasing for him (full-face, open-face, flip-up, etc.), and how often does he ride? All of these things influence a helmet recommendation.
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "Little Red Bear", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", Mid-Nineties Ural Tourist "The Heap", 1994 Honda VFR750F, 2007 BMW K1200GT

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

cheeseheadmike
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by cheeseheadmike » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:04 am

From my own experience, I'd steer clear of the TORC. The bluetooth was better than the helmet.

If I may make a suggestion, consider a bluetooth ready helmet and a separate bluetooth headset unit instead of an all in one. I have a pair of Freedcon TS-COM headsets for my wife and I. I can switch the headsets between my summer and winter helmets. Besides all the bluetooth connectivity, they are also FM receivers. I got ours from AliExpress and have no complaints. I think it was around a hundred bucks for the pair.

Check out what Sena offers. I've heard a lot of good about them.
cheeseheadmike

1973 Velosolex 3800-slow, 1977 Velosolex 4600-really slow
1979 Honda CX500-not slow at all
Various bicycles from 1947 to 2018-slow to fast, depending on my mood
2007 Ural Gear Up

France_Fadeley
Comrade
Comrade

Post by France_Fadeley » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:10 am

Tomcatfixer wrote:What would help us to provide you with better answers would be where are you located (helmets available in your market that meet your country's safety standards), what is your budget (or, how valuable is your husband's head?), what style of helmet are you interested in purchasing for him (full-face, open-face, flip-up, etc.), and how often does he ride? All of these things influence a helmet recommendation.
I am living in Los Angeles and I would prefer an open face Bluetooth helmet for him. Secondly, his head is valuable for me but my budget doesn't allow me more than $150. What're your recommendations now?

France_Fadeley
Comrade
Comrade

Post by France_Fadeley » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:13 am

cheeseheadmike wrote:From my own experience, I'd steer clear of the TORC. The bluetooth was better than the helmet.

If I may make a suggestion, consider a bluetooth ready helmet and a separate bluetooth headset unit instead of an all in one. I have a pair of Freedcon TS-COM headsets for my wife and I. I can switch the headsets between my summer and winter helmets. Besides all the bluetooth connectivity, they are also FM receivers. I got ours from AliExpress and have no complaints. I think it was around a hundred bucks for the pair.

Check out what Sena offers. I've heard a lot of good about them.
Thanks for your suggestion :) but I was looking a whole Bluetooth helmet package for him.

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:56 am

Okay, let me get the Tomcatfixer helmet boilerplate out of the way first. If my wife were to attempt to gift me with a motorcycle helmet, if would be like me trying to purchase the right brassiere for her: it might look nice to me, but will probably won't be the most comfortable for her. Heads come in all shapes and sizes, and each helmet manufacturer tends to favor a particular shape over others. If your husband just goes out on quick jaunts infrequently, then how comfortable the helmet you buy probably isn't terribly important. For a daily motorcycle commuter and tourer, like me, helmet comfort is critical.

Web Bike World is a fantastic resource for buying a motorcycle helmet. Here's a good primer on helmet shopping (that you may have to view in "desktop mode", if viewing on your smartphone): https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/

Web Bike World has THE most comprehensive collection of helmet reviews here: https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmet-reviews/

Read through some of these reviews, learn about some new helmets, figure out your husband's head shape, and order through a company with a good exchange and return policy, such as RevZilla (http://www.revzilla.com).
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "Little Red Bear", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", Mid-Nineties Ural Tourist "The Heap", 1994 Honda VFR750F, 2007 BMW K1200GT

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

jwaller
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by jwaller » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:08 am

Most of the best set-ups are for a bluetooth communicator which you install on a helmet. To get an integrated system, it seems there is no middle path; it's either super expensive, or it's pretty cheap. A cheap price isn't necessarily bad. This seems to be what you're looking for and it's just about in your stated budget. It's probably about the only thing I could recommend at the price point. It's $169. It might not be the best helmet or the best bluetooth system, but cycle gear does stand behind the products they sell. If it doesn't fit or there is any sort of problem, it can be exchanged. It's got a warranty. I'm not sure you can expect to get that type of peace of mind if you order an even cheaper helmet from ebay or something like that. My son and daughter both wear or wore Bilt helmets from cycle gear with the integrated bluetooth and we were able to link it to my Sena bluetooth system on my helmet so we could talk and share music. I'd wear one if they made one big enough to fit my huge melon. They do run a bit small. The good thing is, if you order for your husband and it doesn't fit, he can exchange it for another side, no questions asked.

Here's the link: https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-tec ... oth-helmet
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

These are the good times, there's no looking back
jwaller is loving life, on his shiny red Ural hack.
Rolling through the hill country, one hand on the throttle .
It moves about as fast as ketchup flowing from the bottle.
Ketchup. Ketchup.
:boogie:

France_Fadeley
Comrade
Comrade

Post by France_Fadeley » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:15 am

Tomcatfixer wrote:Okay, let me get the Tomcatfixer helmet boilerplate out of the way first. If my wife were to attempt to gift me with a motorcycle helmet, if would be like me trying to purchase the right brassiere for her: it might look nice to me, but will probably won't be the most comfortable for her. Heads come in all shapes and sizes, and each helmet manufacturer tends to favor a particular shape over others. If your husband just goes out on quick jaunts infrequently, then how comfortable the helmet you buy probably isn't terribly important. For a daily motorcycle commuter and tourer, like me, helmet comfort is critical.

Web Bike World is a fantastic resource for buying a motorcycle helmet. Here's a good primer on helmet shopping (that you may have to view in "desktop mode", if viewing on your smartphone): https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/

Web Bike World has THE most comprehensive collection of helmet reviews here: https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmet-reviews/

Read through some of these reviews, learn about some new helmets, figure out your husband's head shape, and order through a company with a good exchange and return policy, such as RevZilla (http://www.revzilla.com).

Thanks :D I think this piece of advice would work. I am grateful

Lmo
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by Lmo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:55 pm

but cycle gear does stand behind the products they sell.
Excellent advice. I've always had great customer service with Cycle Gear.

For my cousin's 50th birthday I gave her the Harley-Davidson Rider Course as a gift. She needed safety gear, and since I live in California and she lives in Wisconsin, I bought her a gift certificate at the HD shop. As Tomcatfixer mentioned, fitting a helmet is really a personal thing fit-wise. Why not approach the "gift" from this angle? What my cousin got along with the gift certificate for the helmet was a picture of it.. ... maybe not so cool as an actual helmet but we didn't have to go through the exchange ordeal.

And before you buy, be advised that some retailers will not allow a helmet to be exchanged once it leaves their shop.
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

rivers

Post by rivers » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:23 pm

I have no input on the pre-wired helmets. The "helmet" is the key concern though. The bluetooth is just fluff. Get him a good fitting and comfortable helmet and add the bluetooth stuff afterwards.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gobium » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:42 pm

For me
Dont take this personal.
No Bluetooth helmet.
Last thing i want to hear the wife said slowdown in that curve!

Beastmaster
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Beastmaster » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:37 pm

I am in the same dilemma and here is what I have researched so far:

It appears that most of the pre-wired Bluetooth helmets lack quality in either the helmet or the sound system. As folks have mentioned earlier, you never want to cut corners on your helmet. Also, I've been told that most of the pre-wired systems are not that great a quality and if they break, you are screwed because many times they are part of the helmet itself.
That is when I decided to get a good helmet and buy the Bluetooth setup separately. As I looked at systems, I found some really good ones but they ran $150 EACH and I didn't want to double the price of my helmet just for music and to talk to my wife.
Then I came across some from Shark Motorcycle Audio and I liked the reviews. They go for $100 A SET and that was a price my budget liked more so I ordered a set and they came in yesterday. I'll be glad to post a review if anyone is interested.

Here is a link to their web site: https://www.sharkmotorcycleaudio.com/pr ... ation.html
>>>The smartest man knows what he doesn't know.<<<
2018 M70 (Natasha) in Beautiful Southern Arizona (Tucson)

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:14 am

Don't get it for him, let him pick it out.
Johnny Walker Blue.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only) *NOT running amok, out for Bottom & Top-End Rebuild.
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

List what you "have", keep the others in your precious memory bank.

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gobium » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:40 am

stagewex wrote:Don't get it for him, let him pick it out.
Johnny Walker Blue.
+1
I tried to buy a purse for my wife once! That was a bad idea :lol:

VWK75S

Post by VWK75S » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:20 am

gobium wrote:For me
Dont take this personal.
No Bluetooth helmet.
Last thing i want to hear the wife said slowdown in that curve!
+1 I love my wife (of 31years) but I need to pay attention to the road.
John
The Ural's made Maine a much bigger state.

2009 GearUp 155,000kms
2007 Retro 25,000kms
1991 VWK75S 110,000miles