Anyone Here Lemon Law Ever?

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Abaxter593
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Anyone Here Lemon Law Ever?

Post by Abaxter593 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:14 pm

We've reached the boiling point of Ural ownership. I knew it would require more attention than anything else I've ever owned, but it's been broken basically since day 1, and the same items keep failing. It's been at the dealer on two separate occasions, for over a month each time. It's currently sitting at the dealer, which has almost been a month, with no work done to it. They still don't have any parts. I've also had to wrench on this thing multiple times, every panel has flaking and bubbling paint. Oil leaks, etc and it's proven unsafe to ride. Donuts failing 4 times, driveshaft twice, hub, final drive... Signals only work when they want to, since day 1. randomly doesn't start. So many issues with this thing, not acceptable for a new machine. We have been beyond patient with this thing, but there is no end in sight. This is coming from someone who is used to owning unreliable vehicles. Range Rovers, various Lotus, British bikes :lol:

I've tried reaching out to the dealer I purchased it from, to trade it in for a 4 wheel vehicle, to try and possibly save Ural some coin. As they would need to purchase it back, cover taxes, reg fees, oil, tires, etc.....Also reached out to Ural in the past about issues with the bike, etc. Haven't heard anything back, oh well.

I live in NC, and it was purchased in MA brand new. Does anyone know what route I need to take? Do I need to file in MA, or NC? I will get a lawyer involved if needed, but would prefer not as this is something I should be able to handle.

Hate to get rid of this, as we love it. BUT it almost never works, has ruined a summer full of plans. Time to move on.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Last edited by Abaxter593 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: Anyone Here Lemon Law Ever?

Post by rivers » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:25 pm

Don't know if they vary from state to state so I would start with your states Attorney Generals office and find out the specific criteria for claiming Lemon Law. Repeatedly being stuck at a dealer for over 30 is one of the one them but there are others. It it's just a prob with your dealer. The BBB may be able to guide you some.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Abaxter593
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Abaxter593 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:30 pm

rivers wrote:Don't know if they vary from state to state so I would start with your states Attorney Generals office and find out the specific criteria for claiming Lemon Law. Repeatedly being stuck at a dealer for over 30 is one of the one them but there are others. It it's just a prob with your dealer. The BBB may be able to guide you some.

Both states, have semi similar guidelines. Same item failing a few times, or in service for over 30 days. It exceeds the guidelines for both states..

Just checking to see if anyone here has been through this process, before I devote half a day to researching every last procedure that needs to be done.

dogboy443

Post by dogboy443 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:50 pm

Purchased in Massachusetts so are we talking about UralNE?
Mark Masztal

2006 Ural Tourist, The Flying Pickle!

Abaxter593
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Abaxter593 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:52 pm

dogboy443 wrote:Purchased in Massachusetts so are we talking about UralNE?

Yes.

They were wonderful during the purchasing process, and shipping me parts under warranty. Have absolutely nothing but positive things to say about them. It's not their fault I have a lemon.

sallen

Post by sallen » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:56 pm

A friend of mine had a similar problem with BMW (auto) when she contacted a lawyer the dealer quickly change there attitude.
The difference, she lived in NC and bought the car in NC. Don't know what complications arise when it involves two states.
just my $0.02
19?? Dnepr MT16

2008 Gear Up / Orange camo
130/45 one shim
drilled slides

2008 Gear Up / Orange camo

A statement I live by.
Panic is a luxury you can afford after it is all over.

Abaxter593
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Abaxter593 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:00 pm

sallen wrote:A friend of mine had a similar problem with BMW (auto) when she contacted a lawyer the dealer quickly change there attitude.
The difference, she lived in NC and bought the car in NC. Don't know what complications arise when it involves two states.
just my $0.02

I bet so.

We have been beyond patient with this thing, but for the 6+ months of ownership it's been one thing after another. Non stop issues. Same things failing over and over, quality issues, leaks, etc. Pretty much everything on the darn bike has issues.... Spends almost more time broken, than running. Most unreliable vehicle I've ever owned by a long shot, and I've owned a long list of oddball stuff.

Over it at this point, one can only take so much abuse :beerchug:

dogboy443

Post by dogboy443 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:21 pm

This might help: http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/consumer-righ ... emon-laws/
I've dealt with the AG before and they respond timely.
Mark Masztal

2006 Ural Tourist, The Flying Pickle!

WEGUNTER
Commissar
Commissar

Post by WEGUNTER » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:46 pm

the problem is not the bike. it that dealer in Charlotte that you keep going to. I would not let that pack of monkeys get within 10 feet of my bike. I would tell them to stop work on it and then pick it up and take it to Bombar's Beemers over in Winston Salem.

VWK75S

Post by VWK75S » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:02 pm

WEGUNTER wrote: I would not let that pack of monkeys get within 10 feet of my bike.
Important info, some dealers (not just Ural) are clueless.
John
The Ural's made Maine a much bigger state.

2009 GearUp 155,000kms
2007 Retro 25,000kms
1991 VWK75S 110,000miles

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:12 pm

What year & model is your rig? Add it to your signature-line (while you still have it).

That sucks and I hate hearing this. I'm not one to cast a bad word about any particular dealer as in if you don't have something nice to say dont say it.
But have read several bad reviews about the one you are going to here on SS.
Sometimes these places are good but then the one guy who knows these beasts leaves and... who knows.

Some of what you mention like the paint issue is not mechanical, it;'s a defect. Have you reached out to Ural NE? They have a fan base here!

Bombar's is a very well known BMW shop. I didn't know they take care of Urals too or are an Official Ural Service Center? Unless you are ready to shove this thing off a cliff which it sounds like your are ready to do, get it over to them. There reputation is very well known and impeccable in the BMW world, especially the older and vintage /2 & /5 boxer-twins. I happen to have a list of recommended Beemer shops in my phone just in case I'm on the road and need service. And I don't mean service at any BMW Dealership. Bombar's is on that list.
For some reason I have them in Durham, North Carolina with (929) 450-7450 as their phone number. Maybe they moved?
Stagewex

2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)

WEGUNTER
Commissar
Commissar

Post by WEGUNTER » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:45 pm

Bombar is an authorized Ural service center. He runs a great shop.

Abaxter593
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Abaxter593 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:46 pm

WEGUNTER wrote:the problem is not the bike. it that dealer in Charlotte that you keep going to. I would not let that pack of monkeys get within 10 feet of my bike. I would tell them to stop work on it and then pick it up and take it to Bombar's Beemers over in Winston Salem.

:lol: :lol:

harryball

Post by harryball » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:49 pm

Having recently torn the guts out of a 2010 Patrol and put them back, I can tell you that you would be better off to take your Ural to someone that works on vintage tractors than a bike shop with mechanics with little to no Ural exposure.

I hate to hear the trouble you are going through, but I have to wonder if a good Ural mechanic could not sort out the issues for you. I am disturbed to hear that Ural corporate is ignoring you. I have no direct dealing with them, but what I hear either seems to be great (i.e. they fixed my bike for free!) or really bad (i.e. they completely ignored me and never called me back and refused to address the issue). If I were Ural, I would want the bike back to see what is going on with it, but then again, maybe they already know.
---
2017 - cT Gen 2 EFI- "Georgia" My wife's rig.
2017 - M70/Retro Gen 2 EFI- Sigmund. My wife's other rig.
Robert
http://HabitatForBats.org - Give a bat a home!

Abaxter593
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Abaxter593 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:54 pm

stagewex wrote:What year & model is your rig? Add it to your signature-line (while you still have it).

That sucks and I hate hearing this. I'm not one to cast a bad word about any particular dealer as in if you don't have something nice to say dont say it.
But have read several bad reviews about the one you are going to here on SS.
Sometimes these places are good but then the one guy who knows these beasts leaves and... who knows.

Some of what you mention like the paint issue is not mechanical, it;'s a defect. Have you reached out to Ural NE? They have a fan base here!

Bombar's is a very well known BMW shop. I didn't know they take care of Urals too or are an Official Ural Service Center? Unless you are ready to shove this thing off a cliff which it sounds like your are ready to do, get it over to them. There reputation is very well known and impeccable in the BMW world, especially the older and vintage /2 & /5 boxer-twins. I happen to have a list of recommended Beemer shops in my phone just in case I'm on the road and need service. And I don't mean service at any BMW Dealership. Bombar's is on that list.
For some reason I have them in Durham, North Carolina with (929) 450-7450 as their phone number. Maybe they moved?

Paint defects since day 1, same with turn signals. All documented.

Various mechanical items have failed, some of the 3-4x. More and more issues arise, it's never ending. It's left me stranded three times, the last time I couldn't find a tow company that wanted to touch it, so called the dealer, hoping they would work something out to pick it up, considering I've had a long standing issue with their service over and over. Luckily they picked it up the next day...

I hate spilling any hate towards a business, as I own a business and know how sometimes things are out of your control. But they have really dropped the ball with my bike over and over, and the whole process was like pulling teeth. I even reached out to the owner, nothing negative just stating the cold hard facts. He never got back to me, and I know for a fact he read the email. Sales guy there is pretty cool, and well aware of the lack luster service. He apologized to me, and even owned up to dropping the ball on a sale. I purchased from New England, as the local guys never got back to me.....

I've worked on this myself, have had help from someone here, and it's been to the dealer. Things just keep breaking, and it's not because I'm going 80 mph with the thing. It was broken in properly, all oil changes and valve adjustments have been done well before due. I've been on top of trying to maintain this bike, like I do with everything I own. It's just been a major let down in the end. I know some have really good luck, I just got stuck with a lemon. Things happen, but I'm not towing it 2+ hours away every time it breaks down.