What did you do ON your Ural today?

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Lofty
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: What did you do ON your Ural today?

Post by Lofty » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:17 pm

I'm surprised this particular thread doesn't get more traction.

Anyway... As of late, the motion sensor on our Ring video doorbell has been capturing overnight visitors to our front porch. Neighborhood strays. There's two or three of them. The infrared (functionally, black & white) images are a bit w-ashed out, and don't always allow for a precise view of the individual patterns of their fur. This makes identifying each one a bit difficult. The rare daytime views, which are in color, have confirmed there's at least one orange tabby and one calico in the crew.

They only appear when the nights become consistently cold. I've been tasked with setting up a protected feed box, and obtaining provisions for the same. Daily refills confirm that not a single morsel goes to waste.

Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

zookster

Post by zookster » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:17 pm

No pictures but did the weekly grocery run on the Gear Up this afternoon. Full shopping cart and 3 12-packs of sodas. Had room to spare after loading the sidecar. Great grocery getter!
2013 Forest Fog Ural Gear Up
2009 Versys 650
2007 DR 650
2001 Bullet 500

Birdy
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Birdy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:53 pm

zookster wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:17 pm
No pictures but did the weekly grocery run on the Gear Up this afternoon. Full shopping cart and 3 12-packs of sodas. Had room to spare after loading the sidecar. Great grocery getter!
Great fun to take your helmet in and watch the casher look at a full cart and ask how are you going to get that all on a motorcycle I tell them I'll throw on the passenger seat as I don't have saddlebags. I had a manager follow me out one time to see HOW I was going to do this and he saw the rig and laughed and said his Dad had had a rig years ago, Indian he thought, but he didn't know they still made them. Only problem with taking the Ural grocery shopping is my Ice Cream melts with UDF strikes.
2017 Ural Patrol, Lenin's Revenge
2012 Kawasaki Versys, Mini Me
2008 Royal Enfield...the money pit, undergoing restoration

bratmanxj

Post by bratmanxj » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:24 am

Birdy wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:53 pm
Great fun to take your helmet in and watch the casher look at a full cart and ask how are you going to get that all on a motorcycle I tell them I'll throw on the passenger seat as I don't have saddlebags. I had a manager follow me out one time to see HOW I was going to do this and he saw the rig and laughed and said his Dad had had a rig years ago, Indian he thought, but he didn't know they still made them. Only problem with taking the Ural grocery shopping is my Ice Cream melts with UDF strikes.
Had that a few months back at the hardware store. The kid & I both with jackets and helmets rolling out a cart full of lawn care fertilizers and seed. Guy walking behind me goes "I gotta see this" and see's the bright red rig parked right out front and just starts to laugh. I open the trunk and he was amazed at the space, said he was going to go home and take a look for one cause he doesn't ride a lot because he's a pack-rat and doesn't have room.
1999 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
2007 Ural Tourist - The Big Red Brick
Chinese Knock off Honda Trail 70 rescued from the in-laws shed
1984 Suzuki LT125 Quadrunner - Sold off to a Friend
Boats, Jets Skis and Golf Carts...other fun stuff!

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:22 pm

Lofty wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:17 pm
It got replaced with "Did you ride today?"

Tho I tend to agree with you in that I don't think we need two threads for basically the same kind of thing :D
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:40 pm

Lofty wrote:

Anyway... As of late, the motion sensor on our Ring video doorbell has been capturing overnight visitors to our front porch. Neighborhood strays. There's two or three of them. The infrared (functionally, black & white) images are a bit w-ashed out, and don't always allow for a precise view of the individual patterns of their fur. This makes identifying each one a bit difficult. The rare daytime views, which are in color, have confirmed there's at least one orange tabby and one calico in the crew.

They only appear when the nights become consistently cold. I've been tasked with setting up a protected feed box, and obtaining provisions for the same. Daily refills confirm that not a single morsel goes to waste.

We had a guest cat for a while. Our area is 5 acre minimums, and it was a very old cat so I suspect it was abandoned. We put out a covered bed, food, and water for it, and after that it rarely left the porch.
Found it dead one morning when filling the food dish. We were never able to make contact with it, but at least we made its last few months a little more comfortable.

several years ago we found a half starved kitten in our garden that actually ran up to me when it saw me, and has been a member of our family since then.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:12 pm

Mr Wazzock wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:22 pm
Lofty wrote:
Mm. I was going to mention the apparent redundancy to site Mgmt. Then I remember that I posted my own stuff in that thread. I didn't want to call myself out, so I let it go. :)

windmill wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:40 pm
Lofty wrote:
I've been tasked with setting up a protected feed box, and obtaining provisions for the same. Daily refills confirm that not a single morsel goes to waste.
We had a guest cat for a while. Our area is 5 acre minimums, and it was a very old cat so I suspect it was abandoned. We put out a covered bed, food, and water for it, and after that it rarely left the porch.
Found it dead one morning when filling the food dish. We were never able to make contact with it, but at least we made its last few months a little more comfortable.

several years ago we found a half starved kitten in our garden that actually ran up to me when it saw me, and has been a member of our family since then.
It's nice to know that care is being provided. :thumbsup:

It's a mixed blessing that ours keep their distance from us. Not wanting another pet, I know that I'd struggle mightily if one of them ran up to me. I'd probably lose the struggle and take it in. :oops:
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey

cheeseheadmike

Post by cheeseheadmike » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:31 pm

Kicked it once to start it, backed it out of the garage and parked it in the yard to warm up. Rolled my 40 yo Honda out of the garage, started it with extended cranking(hasn't run since August) and let it warm up. Rode the Ural back into the garage and shut it off. Went ATGATT and rode the Honda 30 miles to my new garage. Ural gets to the new place in another couple weeks.
cheeseheadmike

1973 Velosolex 3800-slow, 1977 Velosolex 4600-really slow
1979 Honda CX500-not slow at all
Various bicycles from 1947 to 2018-slow to fast, depending on my mood
2007 Ural Gear Up

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:15 pm

Lofty wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:12 pm
Mr Wazzock wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:22 pm
Lofty wrote:
Mm. I was going to mention the apparent redundancy to site Mgmt. Then I remember that I posted my own stuff in that thread. I didn't want to call myself out, so I let it go. :)

windmill wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:40 pm
Lofty wrote:
I've been tasked with setting up a protected feed box, and obtaining provisions for the same. Daily refills confirm that not a single morsel goes to waste.

It's nice to know that care is being provided. :thumbsup:

It's a mixed blessing that ours keep their distance from us. Not wanting another pet, I know that I'd struggle mightily if one of them ran up to me. I'd probably lose the struggle and take it in. :oops:
I'm a dog person, I typically don't really connect with cats, but when I picked it up, it snuggled up to me and started purring.

I immediately knew I was beat, and named it Meadow.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

scottmastrocinque
Party Member
Party Member

Post by scottmastrocinque » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:24 am

I’m a dog 🐶 person too but I love cats!

They are quite convenient when I accidentally run out of dog food! :shock: :D :shock:
2017 Ural Gear Up Sahara
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2009 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
2008 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport
2007 Piaggio X9 500 Evoluzione
1997 Moto Guzzi V10 Centauro

"There comes a time in your life when you have to let go of all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus solely on the good. After all, life is too short to be anything but happy."

OleanderSalad
Comrade
Comrade

Post by OleanderSalad » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:10 am

The only thing I'm doing on my Ural today is waiting. :)

The deal was cut Friday, but the cycle shop does not open until tomorrow. Stupid motorcycle shop hours.

Planning on taking custody in about exactly 24 hours. Basic plan is to putz around with it in the parking lot. Maybe visit a couple parking lots on the way home using surface streets. Trip is only about 15 miles.

Then I'm just going to stare at her until she tells me her name. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2016 Gear Up

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:26 am

Welcome to the forum, OleanderSalad.

Your first forum post confirms a Ural purchase, and includes a picture of the same. Even your avatar is Win. That's how it's done! Congratulations on the purchase.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey

cheeseheadmike

Post by cheeseheadmike » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:44 pm

Carried a small load down to the new digs today.
Main plan was to rebuild the carb on the snowblower the previous owners left for us while doing it for once in a heated garage. If I had time I was going to hang the TV mount for SWMBO. Found out the carb was Fubared and never got into the house except to pee.
28 mile ride each way on Illannoy back and state roads. Still have cold feet.
cheeseheadmike

1973 Velosolex 3800-slow, 1977 Velosolex 4600-really slow
1979 Honda CX500-not slow at all
Various bicycles from 1947 to 2018-slow to fast, depending on my mood
2007 Ural Gear Up

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:35 pm

Nighttime, in the 30s. The right time to give the Hella Scheinwerfereinsatz, Auxbeam NF-S1 and the Koso Apollos a proper field test.

But for the chosen turnaround point being a busy shopping area, the B road that I used tonight was blessedly devoid of traffic.

The aforementioned fitments earned a solid Pass. And Kohls was nuts.

Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey

bratmanxj

Post by bratmanxj » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:15 am

2019-11-23 21.18.17.jpg
On a whim I decided to replace my worn 308 Pusher with a 307 and rehab my bent up spare front wheel with a 307 as well
2019-11-28 10.01.38.jpg
So my buddy and I could do our yearly Thanksgiving morning ride
2019-11-28 09.41.37.jpg
His KLR decided it need a nap when we got into a patch of soft Lake Michigan sand dune
2019-11-28 09.41.30.jpg
And an 800-lb lead sled with 35hp doesn't do so well in deep soft sand
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1999 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
2007 Ural Tourist - The Big Red Brick
Chinese Knock off Honda Trail 70 rescued from the in-laws shed
1984 Suzuki LT125 Quadrunner - Sold off to a Friend
Boats, Jets Skis and Golf Carts...other fun stuff!