Inexperienced and undereducated....

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
barnone
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Re: Inexperienced and undereducated....

Post by barnone » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:07 pm

Impossible to make something idiot proof.
How could she have passed the CDL test?

siberman1
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by siberman1 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:22 pm

I have a CAT436 backhoe/excavator. I decided to keep my jobs local so I drive it on the roads around here. I know that it weighs almost 20,000 pounds (10 tons) from reading the CAT manual. I also know how tall my rear boom is - I'm very careful about ANYTHING overhead, like wires, bridge tops, tunnels, etc. Someone else said: Common Sense, it ain't a Toyota Camry for cryin' out loud.

There are numerous farm bridges around here - 1-lane bridges with weight limits. My 2 axles and 10 tons exceed many of these bridges. So I have to know where the "low-load" bridges are and go around them on other safe bridges. There is No Way would I want to be liable for 1)wrecking a bridge, 2)damage to my CAT, and 3)cost to get my CAT back to working order.

I just think it is the driver responsibility to know what the limits are and obey. TS if it makes it inconvenient. Men drive more = more stupid things done. Less women = less stupid things done. Whatever, there is no cure for STUPID.

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

harryball

Post by harryball » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:28 pm

barnone wrote:How could she have passed the CDL test?
In today's world I find standards are relative. As such, these things happen.

But obviously we can't have a world where standards are not relative because that world would be run by racists, sexists and politically incorrect people.

First, the idea of "do the best you can do" and still failing at the task are long dead since that philosophy is "unfair". We are seeing it play out everywhere and reaping the "rewards". I've noticed standards for some physically demanding jobs being altered to accommodate those that "tried their best but failed". One such story out of many, http://nypost.com/2010/02/25/sorry-ladi ... a-fireman/

Second, the idea that success is open to everyone that works hard is fading. The message now seems to be that success is now deserved, not worked for. And if you are a member of a minority you deserve it more because the odds are stacked against you from the beginning. But rest assured, everyone is a winner in their own way and you don't have to work for it, you deserve it.

Third, there is this notion that workforces MUST be balanced. And if 50% of the population is women but only 5% of a workforce is women, there MUST be something wrong and we MUST correct it in order to be fair. There are even federal laws to such. :bs: Maybe these jobs are not attractive to women in the first place, who's to say? But forcibly balancing a workforce for gender and race can lead to problems, especially when you have to "help" certain applicants pass because there are so few in the first place. It has nothing to do with gender or race, it's just numbers. If 30% of all applicants fail no matter their gender or race, that's normal. But when pressure is on to balance your workforce and allowing 30% of a target group to fail would put you out of compliance with federal standards... what do you do?

So, how did she pass her CDL? I honestly don't know. Maybe she met every standard on a particularly good day and then forgot it all.
Last edited by harryball on Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
2017 - cT - "Georgia" My wife's rig.
2017 - M70/Retro, Sigmund. My wife's other rig.
Robert
http://HabitatForBats.org - Give a bat a home!

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:30 pm

barnone wrote:Impossible to make something idiot proof.
How could she have passed the CDL test?
There was a school in Denver that would sign a certificate if'n the applicant had:
1- A pulse or,
2- The ability to fog a mirror

That school is out of business now but more than a few of their graduates stopped by our plant for a test drive/job-app... A couple of them drove my mixer out the gate onto city streets... Their test drive ended with me driving the truck back to the plant... with my heart beat and blood pressure both elevated...
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...