CSC Adventure Bike

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Re: CSC Adventure Bike

Post by Tin Man » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:06 pm

DanKearney wrote:
Tin Man wrote: And having a rally as you describe from China to the UK is a lot easier to do when the team is made up of experienced riders that have a support truck following the whole way.
The trip from China to the UK was a solo, unsupported rider. The 5,000 mile CSC group ride around the western U.S. and the CSC group ride down Baja last Spring were not "supported" except in the sense that the ride was led by a CSC representative. No support vehicles on either trip.

Cheers,

Dan K.
For the China to UK ride. That was my bad did not know it was solo, but I do have to ask, is there a dealer network in Asia and/or Europe?
As to the other, I must have been watching a whole nuther video.....because during the ride there was a yellow Penske rental truck that kept appearing over and over at the stops. And at one point they were either loading or unloading a bike into it. :foilhead:
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

.........if you see something that needs doing, just do it........

lomax
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by lomax » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:16 pm

Who knows, Zongshen may be the next Honda. It is good to see them finally building something worthwhile and hopefully it will only get better.
84 R100RS LE,14 Ducati MTSGT,14 Hyperstrada, 73 850 Commando, 78 CT90, 14 Ural, 74 Eldorado police, 64 R50/2, 13 TR650, 01 DRZ400E, 94 900SS/CR, 01 200EXC, 77 HD XLCR, 15 Enfield Classic. https://lomaxcm.smugmug.com/

DanKearney
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by DanKearney » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:20 pm

Tin Man wrote:I must have been watching a whole nuther video.....because during the ride there was a yellow Penske rental truck that kept appearing over and over at the stops. And at one point they were either loading or unloading a bike into it. :foilhead:
I stand corrected on that.

Cheers,

Dan K.

DanKearney
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by DanKearney » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:22 pm

Hogmaine wrote:Dan the 5000 mile ride did have a support vehicle, with backup supplies. If you read 5000 miles @ 8000 rpm all is explained. Very good book. Not much was needed.
Were there any breakdowns? I didn't read of any. What's the book have to say?

Cheers,

Dan K.

Hogmaine
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Hogmaine » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:38 am

DanKearney wrote:
Hogmaine wrote:Dan the 5000 mile ride did have a support vehicle, with backup supplies. If you read 5000 miles @ 8000 rpm all is explained. Very good book. Not much was needed.
Were there any breakdowns? I didn't read of any. What's the book have to say?

Cheers,

Dan K.
No, not really a couple battery issues, they also changed the oil in the bikes a couple times since most were new and needing break in oil changes. They changed battery suppliers, I believe since then. :cheers:
“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” Leonardo da Vinci
2017 Africa Twin DCT
2008 Patrol
2016 Versys 650 LT (for sale)
2011 Gear Up

eastbloc
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by eastbloc » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:36 pm

I want one.

It's ironic to feel an aversion for supporting the Chinese but having no problems supporting the Russians. In either case your motorcycle purchase isn't going to make a difference for the future of either Hu Jintao or Vladimir Putin.
'14 Gear Up
'02 Patrol
'00 Bavarian Classic
'09 BMW F800GS

barnone
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by barnone » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:53 pm

DanKearney wrote:
DanKearney wrote: I would only consider buying one if there was a dealer in the Denver area. A two year warranty is tough to use if the dealer is nowhere near.
Ha! Bought mine back in July of this year. Guess I got over the "no local dealer" issue in my head. :P

I've got a bout 3,000 miles on it now and would not hesitate to recommend this bike to anyone.

I've got a deposit down on their 2016 TT250 now too. $1,895 out the door during the promotional period!

Cheers,

Dan K.
No local dealer ain't bothering me either.
I've got one Russian and four Chinese bikes that are doing just fine.
My 2012 DF250RTB-A has the same engine as the interesting TT250. Not real powerful but gets the job done.
Haven't needed any parts but lots are available on the net.
IMG_20150907_125942.jpg
IMG_20151021_121955.jpg

Mothra35
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Mothra35 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:56 am

--2005 Ural Tourist--"Маня"

My U-Tube
---Oliver---Оливер--- :headbang:

DanKearney
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by DanKearney » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:32 am

Yes, that video is making the rounds with all us CSC owners.

"Brutally honest" is open to interpretation. He rides the sh!t out of the bike on terrain it is obviously not designed for, crashes it multiple times, drag races a car (with a 250 cc bike? WTF?), and still doesn't manage to break it. He never once reports that the motor failed, ran poorly, or anything broke off or fell off the bike.

The one "failure" he reports is that after multiple crashes, his crash bars finally gave out (duh) at one of the mounting points. Which he was able to repair by simply adding some large washers to keep the bolts from slipping through the enlarged holes. And which, by the way, he could replace with new ones if he so chose for about $50.00. Try that with a KTM or BMW.

In the end he claims the bike is totally unsuitable for the type of riding he does in the videos. No sh!t Sherlock.

I've ridden my RX3 around the Forest Service roads of Colorado and New Mexico, including a few pretty rough ones. I've also ridden my RX3 in Baja. I ride the RX3 in the manner that it was intended to be ridden and it works great. More than 7,000 miles so far and not a single maintenance issue.

I've got a CSC TT250 also. Still in the break-in period.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Mothra35
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Mothra35 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:50 pm

DanKearney wrote:
Cheers,

Dan K.

I gathered what you stated above ^^^ pretty much the same when I watched the video....I thought it was a good review thou, and think the chick that described it as a "Diet duel sport" hit the nail on the head....I been thinking of getting one (crated so I can put together (give me something to do))

He did beat the $#!+ out of it but that's how he rides and what he does. Me---I would ride it back and forth to work and some trails every now and then. But when I do save the doh' if I find a used "NAME" brand I probably just get that.

:cheers:

My U-Tube

JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary

Post by JohnBG » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:52 pm

Everide, a well known dual-sport blogger, did a brutally honest review of this "scooter" in a dual-sport environment as CSC is actively marketing it to the ADVenture & dual-sport riders, comparing it to other dual-sport bikes he has ridden. His take: you're probably better off buying a second-hand KLR650 (like I did for $2K) or DR650 for less than the price of a new CSC if you want to do any serious off road stuff. It's a neat commuter bike that could handle light off-road stuff like forest roads. He's not damning the scooter, has some good things to say about it, but ends up stating it isn't up to par for dual-sport style riding. He likens it to an early Kia or Hyandai cars, which at first weren't great but have gotten much better thru the years, and sees potential for it.

I suspect if hew did a brutally honest Ural review, the results would be similar... :lol: If you read what some of the ADV guys have written about the Urals, we're in the same class.

IMO, like Urals, the CSC scooters shouldn't be marketed to the Adventure & Dual-Sport crowds. Can the Ural do Adventure or Dual-Sport type rides? Sure, I've done some "Adventure" level dual sport rides in FL, and then had to do the repairs afterwards. I've lost mirrors, smoked a clutch, dropped a valve, busted a transmission bearing, and Marty busted 3rd gear in his transmission after hitting a small lunar-sized crater in the Everglades Picayune Strand on the C-FL ride 2 years ago. Mr. Cob abuses the hell out of his Gear-Up on much harder terrain and even after major mods for off-road use (skid plates, high pipes, vented clutch disks, etc.), it still spent a lot of time on Sergi's workbench at IMWA when they were sponsoring him.

The ADV/dual-sport riders expect BMW or KTM like performance off-road and the CSC and Ural don't live up to that. Frankly, they're both underpowered and lack the suspension, reliability, and off-road handling that the ADV/Dual-Sport guys are accustomed to.

FWIW, I also have a used 2009 Kaw KLR650 and I don't consider it a dual-sport bike, more of an adventure tourer. Most serious dual-sporters diss KLR's and their owners unmercifully.

Sooner or later every tool gets used as a hammer, many get busted because they aren't hammers. The CSC and Urals aren't dual sport hammers.

My advice is, just like with Urals, know what the CSC is and what it isn't and be prepared to deal with it's limitations before you buy one. Everide's video pretty much sums up it's limitations and ability. Don't abuse it like Everide did and it should be OK. Don't be a bokad or a jerseybiker bitching and moaning about them when they go south. If you did your due diligence, you knew what you were getting into.

Personally, it's not my cup of tea, but I'm not going to bash it.
John Grocke aka "JohnBG"
Site Administrator - sovietsteeds.com

Current Rides:
'06 Ural Raven - "Vorona"
'09 Kawasaki KLR650 - "Madea"

History:
'98.5 Ural Tourist - "Valentina" - Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Harley Road King FLHPI
1997 Harley Electra Glide FLHTPI
Honda Nighthawk 650 from the mid-80's
1980 Suzuki RM125T
1970 Honda CL100

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

deeve
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by deeve » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:45 pm

Well put JohnBG
Dave
2014 Patrol picked up 10/08/2016

Mothra35
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Mothra35 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:55 pm

:thumbsup:

My U-Tube

lomax
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by lomax » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:58 pm

I will have to admit the Ural is not so great on single track. :lol:
84 R100RS LE,14 Ducati MTSGT,14 Hyperstrada, 73 850 Commando, 78 CT90, 14 Ural, 74 Eldorado police, 64 R50/2, 13 TR650, 01 DRZ400E, 94 900SS/CR, 01 200EXC, 77 HD XLCR, 15 Enfield Classic. https://lomaxcm.smugmug.com/

deeve
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by deeve » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:07 pm

It "feels" too wide...lol
Dave
2014 Patrol picked up 10/08/2016