Talk about yer Ural Delay Factor

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Barbosa
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Barbosa » Tue May 06, 2008 7:33 am

redflasher wrote:We always get at least one UDF everytime we stop. Surprisingly, about half of them so far have identified the GearUP as a URal. One guy from Egypt wanted me to let him "test drive" my rig. He was so insistent that I finally just fired up the GearUP and drove away from him. He was middle aged, dressed nicely, and probably harmless.
Ain't it wierd? One guy when he asked what year it was called me a liar when I told him.
One couple followed us into a grocery store and cornered us by the tomato bin. The woman told us they saw us on the highway. The guy wanted to talk about his GoldWing and the woman just wanted to talk.
Ohhh...about 2 months ago an older couple stopped me in the strip mall parking lot claiming to have seen me on the road numerous times and was trying to follow me home several times. I gave each a ride and phone number, never to hear from them again.
Usual Questions:

What year BMW is that? Gets old don't it?
How fast does it go? That question seems to be lower on the list
Do you like riding in the sidecar? My wife is getting tired of this question...*chucklin*
Did you travel to Russia to buy it? Never had this one before
Why didn't you buy a Harley? I always tell them I'm not brand specific.
I try to size up the questioner and sometimes just make stuff up. Some appear sincere and others seem to be just trying to bait me. :lol:
So, I might just tell them what they want to hear. Whether it's true or not.
I haven't had this problem yet
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and skepticism to put all our trust in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.

markhas
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by markhas » Tue May 06, 2008 8:41 am

:feelsgood: "Why didn't you buy a Harley?" :feelsgood: :gahhh:
markhas
AMA member
ABATE Wisconsin
06' Tourist 41167/over 75,000Km, 91" 750 Honda Nighthawk sold to my buddy Ernie, we keep in touch.

Bilgekeeldave
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Bilgekeeldave » Tue May 06, 2008 10:11 am

Once we came out of a restaurant to find a couple of guys studying the Dnepr really closely. One of them stood up, as we approached, and said,

"I give up! I've been working on and around BMWs for years, this ain't a BMW, what is it?"

He hadn't heard of Dneprs or Urals before that!

Dave
Dave

RAMCO-Dnepr MT-16

mapperjay
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by mapperjay » Tue May 06, 2008 10:31 am

Most of the cops where I live need PR classes...as arrogant as they are.
I've noticed (in an unscientific survey) that the younger ones are generaly nicer that the older, more jaded cops. But I've also learned that no matter where you go, there are really really nice people and complete jerks.

The single most question I get everytime is, "Can you take the sidcar off?"
2007 Ural Patrol
2001 F650GS

My humorous novel about a motorcycle road trip:
https://www.createspace.com/3500943
Think Don Quixote meets Easy Rider.
Now an Ebook (and a helluva lot cheaper!)
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/37224

JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary

Post by JohnBG » Tue May 06, 2008 11:35 am

I had some old fella must been 80, (bless his heart) stopped me at the gas station that actually agued with me when I told him it was a 1998 Russian bike. He swore up and down that it was a WWII Zundapp and was gonna prove it to me. :lol:
John Grocke aka "JohnBG"
Site Administrator - sovietsteeds.com

Current Rides:
'06 Ural Raven - "Vorona"
'09 Kawasaki KLR650 - "Madea"

History:
'98.5 Ural Tourist - "Valentina" - Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Harley Road King FLHPI
1997 Harley Electra Glide FLHTPI
Honda Nighthawk 650 from the mid-80's
1980 Suzuki RM125T
1970 Honda CL100

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

csbdr
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by csbdr » Tue May 06, 2008 11:58 am

George Butz wrote:That would be Sherman up there at the top. Gave the South a brutal arse kicking. I see Markhas has retaliated with Gen. R.E. Lee as a pig...likes to get things stirred up I guess. :lol:
I noticed that.... :lol:
2002 Ural Tourist "Pikop Andropov" 39,000 km
2003 Yamaha Roadstar (hardly ridden anymore)
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet C5

uralny
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by uralny » Tue May 06, 2008 12:10 pm

i've had a couple of people who want to tell me that left turns will fly the chair and right 's will keep it down :lol: even when i try to explain why it dont work that way, some will argue about it. :)
07-gear-up named sasquatch

markhas
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by markhas » Tue May 06, 2008 3:09 pm

uralny wrote:i've had a couple of people who want to tell me that left turns will fly the chair and right 's will keep it down :lol: even when i try to explain why it dont work that way, some will argue about it. :)
Same with losers. :D
markhas
AMA member
ABATE Wisconsin
06' Tourist 41167/over 75,000Km, 91" 750 Honda Nighthawk sold to my buddy Ernie, we keep in touch.