worst motorcycle

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Ragman
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Re: worst motorcycle

Post by Ragman » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:46 pm

The worst I ever had was the HD Sportster we got rid of last year. Piece of dangerous junk. Funny thing is I rode another, same model, same year, and it was much better. Of my old bikes, I reckon the worst was a BSA Bantam.
Милаж
I'm kind of broken now.
2012 Can Am Spyder - Bright Red
Gone Now:
2011 Урал 'Готовьтесь' - лес Камуфляж
2010 but New Yamaha TW 200
2005 Урал Турист- Black - converted to 2wd . missed very much. * 2002 Yamaha TW 200 - 1999 Royal Enfield Bullet - . * many others lost in the fog of time.

Harvey Mushman
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Harvey Mushman » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:09 pm

pierce wrote: Harvey I personally think the Buell Ulysses is the best allaround motorcycle ever made. :)
I love the thing too. For me it is the same story as my first Ural- I thought they looked like fun and saw a nice one that was too cheap. I couldn't get hurt financially so I bought them to try. Now I have my second Ural and the Uly isn't going away anytime soon. That's 2 aircooled pushrod twins that are keepers, one that was not.
Riding our 2010 Gobi Gear Up across the USA:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781149

elizilla
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by elizilla » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:51 pm

I had a Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom that I bought new. It ate five chains, two clutch baskets, a clutch slave cylinder and a water pump, in just 65,000 miles. None of this was major stuff, but it was super, super annoying. (Especially the freakin' water pump seals - they are press fit, but I swear the factory welded mine in place. I spent two days on that, and bought a slide hammer to try to pull it out, and finally got so frustrated that when I put a hole in the clutch cover, pounding on it with a punch, I was relieved. $200 for a new clutch cover amd two weeks for it to come in, but at least it meant I didn't have to fight that dumb thing any more!)

I really liked that bike when it was running. It fit me great, it was comfortable, and when the clutch wasn't failing it was a joy to ride. But when it's the end of summer and you know there's only six weeks of good riding weather left, you don't wanna waste a weekend in the garage dinking with yet another stupid thing. At that point, I'd just as soon wait for winter and ride one of my other bikes. And that bike never went a whole season before it needed a weekend in the garage. So in the six years I owned it, the V-Strom never left the garage after Labor Day.
Katherine

2012 Yamaha Super Ténéré with DMC sidecar
2008 Ural Tourist

RidesInRed
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by RidesInRed » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:28 pm

rivers wrote:Gee guess I've led a charmed life. Nothing I've owned since the 60's has been a "bad" bike. Some were in poor condition when I bought them but that was the PO's fault and not the manufactures. A few were ruined by my young dumb arse. The ones that caused the most grief, maint time wise were Triumphs... whether bikes or cars the Brits never had a good grip on mixing air and fuel or making electrickery flow. BUT to this day I'd absolutely love to have one more 650 Bonnie. Perfect size and power for everyday every road fun and drop dead gorgeous motorcycles. Yeah, I've got head worms.
The problem with the old Brit machinery, 2 wheels or 4, was Lucas ignitions and lead bolts.
Jeff

2011 Orange Patrol Лилия Liliya (Lily)
Stock Jets, 2 shims
CIB, Purple Heart
Life member; Military Order of the Purple Heart

Jeff's first law of technology: Everything not tested doesn't work.

chaos2
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by chaos2 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:09 pm

My first bike was a Honda cb360t. Looking back, it really wasn't a very good bike, but being 25 and buzzing around the hills in Santa Barbara back in the 70's I sure didn't care as long as it ran. When it swallowed the cam chain tensioner at least it was simple enough to for an amateur wrench like me to fix. Had a bonny later that hardly ever ran but it made up for it with good looks.
past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2 & a R65ls, and a Citroen.
Now a rusty 2012 GU, 87 K75s, Diamondback Haanjo Trail and a Diamondback Overdrive
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

Spat
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Spat » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:19 pm

It looks like Harley is leading the way.
You all are loosing site, bashing the bike you hated. I was riding it did mater when they broke. I wasn't happy when my bike was down but in the saddle it was all forgotten and the adventure and good time were there on or off the bikes. I am glad to hear the Enthusiasm about how much you HATED your old bikes and the glorious stories you tell about them :D
Needless to say I have never had a worst motorcycle and yes I have had a few Harleys (still have old ElectraGlide and aermacchi harley) BSA's, basket cases and countless other - loved 'em all, the pain in the asses they were, kinda like women (sorry ladies) aren't they :wink:
Spat
FLHGSSXDR.Patrol
Proud member of the Patrol Patrol

Fall in love with a person who enjoys your madness
Red Green: If life gives you lemons, throw 'em into a quart of vodka.
Red Green: Duct tape or zip tie,,, fixed is fixed

If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going.
Irwin Corey

gflapg
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gflapg » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:22 pm

rivers wrote:Gee guess I've led a charmed life. Nothing I've owned since the 60's has been a "bad" bike. Some were in poor condition when I bought them but that was the PO's fault and not the manufactures. A few were ruined by my young dumb arse. The ones that caused the most grief, maint time wise were Triumphs... whether bikes or cars the Brits never had a good grip on mixing air and fuel or making electrickery flow. BUT to this day I'd absolutely love to have one more 650 Bonnie. Perfect size and power for everyday every road fun and drop dead gorgeous motorcycles. Yeah, I've got head worms.
Hey I know where there is a 1977 Triumph Silver Jubilee that did not come out of the crate till this year. :D
Triumph Silver Jubilee.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
May all beings be blessed by the three jewels
May the planet be at peace, and the earth stay beautiful
May all beings be happy
May all have good fortune

"When the mind is clear, one can sip tea; when the spirit is at ease, one can talk of aspiration."

2010 GU ( the year before that goofy Pecans and Cream Version)
2003 Raceway Custom Built Wolf
1993 Solo

gflapg
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gflapg » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:24 pm

Spat wrote: aermacchi harley
Which Model? Got any pics. Used to make a little pocket change back in the day getting them to run for GI's. :)
May all beings be blessed by the three jewels
May the planet be at peace, and the earth stay beautiful
May all beings be happy
May all have good fortune

"When the mind is clear, one can sip tea; when the spirit is at ease, one can talk of aspiration."

2010 GU ( the year before that goofy Pecans and Cream Version)
2003 Raceway Custom Built Wolf
1993 Solo

George Butz
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by George Butz » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:47 pm

Faultline wrote:I've owned 2 bikes that I would call the worst.

A 1952 "K" model Harley (flathead sportster, and yes it had a sidecar) impossible to get into neutral with the engine running. If you held the bike in first with the clutch in, the 3 piece clutch rod would grind itself away and you wound up tearing down and replacing about every other month. Did a lot of kicking at the lights with that thing. Finally broke the cases and I was out of my misery.

But the all-time POC was an Electra Glide FLH I bought new off the showroom floor in 1977 (no chair on that one). The only bike that ever came with a built-in net to catch the parts falling off. Spent more time on the hook than on the road. Absolutely no warranty support from HD or the dealer. I sold it for parts before it was paid off. Won't buy another HD as long as I live.
I had a 1953 K that would never run on two cylinders for long... :twisted: :twisted:

AND a '77 AMF Electra Glide, brand new, that was a big piece o' chit... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Are we twins of something...? Those were the worst bikes I ever owned...Can't imagine a chair on a K model...They can't get themselves down the road,

let alone with a side car.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Сьюзи (2007 homemade Gear-up)
(1988 BMW conversion)
http://www.easternbloc.biz

Marine By Choice
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Location: Winlock, Washington (SW Washington). 2006 Patrol 2002 Gold Wing Trike

Post by Marine By Choice » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:25 pm

pierce wrote:Joe they all look great with hind sight. If you live long enough.

And your memory clouds enough!
Keith Birkhofer
Marine By Choice
All who wander are NOT lost!

Paindoc
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Paindoc » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:34 pm

pierce wrote:
Paindoc wrote:I had a '62 BSA Gold Star that had been converted to a drag bike. Bought it as a true "basket" case. Came in two large bushel baskets of parts plus "running" bike. Magneto driven but most electrics removed. Got it back to street configuration, and it was a mean machine WHEN IT WOULD RUN!. It was my first introduction to British electrical systems. Tallest first gear ever -- good to 60 mph in first off the line, but you had to dump it at high revs to do so briskly. My first bike to do a ton easily. I think I spent nearly as much time kicking that bike (and myself) as riding.
Hi Paindoc I had a gold star that was a run& bump only motorcycle. :lol:
Yeah, mine got a lot of "running starts" also. The magneto went bad, and had been dropped from production in '63 or '64, so I replaced it with the later alternator from another BSA. Don't remember if Lucas was involved, but I suspect The Prince of Darkness was at least a consultant!
2007 Arctic Camo Gear-Up

TheWildOne
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by TheWildOne » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:40 pm

Guess it depends on your personal experience with any given machine, but for me, it was an early '70s MotoMorini 3 1/2 - like a '74 or so. Sure was pretty.
In some ways (exit ramps, braking, overall handling) it was among the best, but when it comes to the engineering, it was just amazing (-ly bad).
Slow, too - even for a V-twin 350cc in the seventies.

The 'lectrics on it were apparently stuff Lucas wouldn't touch with a 20-foot-pole. (And this from a guy who's had about a dozen Limey bikes, and never had any real problems with that part of 'em, but about every OTHER hassle known to man). It was odd/weird/counterintuitive/misrepresented(on schematics)/poorly made/poorly installed/inferior/under-gauge-wired crappollini that barely worked when it DID work. And I spent 3 hours futzin' for every hour ridin'.

But it sure was fun on exit ramps . . .

It got worse after I sold it to a guy who, remarkably, is STILL a good friend. I had no real problem getting it titled & registered here in VA (we're both in VA - about 2 blocks apart) but apparently DMV-VA had got some fancy new computer stuff (this happened around 1985, I think) and couldn't reconcile the VIN assigned to it.
So they examined it in person. And something was very wrong.

Turned out "Hermy" 's wife (he was the sole importer of MotoMorini back then) had taken the wrong numbers down when she got the MCofO, and it had been fouled up from brand new.
Cost my (still) friend Kyaw about $150 and MONTHS to finally get a clear title/registration for it.

Then he sold it.

K 2
'07 Ural Tourist
'08 "Volare" scooter/sidecar from Holopaw
+ about 15 2-wheelers from '59 to '86

pierce
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by pierce » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:49 pm

Paindoc wrote:
pierce wrote:
Paindoc wrote:I had a '62 BSA Gold Star that had been converted to a drag bike. Bought it as a true "basket" case. Came in two large bushel baskets of parts plus "running" bike. Magneto driven but most electrics removed. Got it back to street configuration, and it was a mean machine WHEN IT WOULD RUN!. It was my first introduction to British electrical systems. Tallest first gear ever -- good to 60 mph in first off the line, but you had to dump it at high revs to do so briskly. My first bike to do a ton easily. I think I spent nearly as much time kicking that bike (and myself) as riding.
Hi Paindoc I had a gold star that was a run& bump only motorcycle. :lol:
Yeah, mine got a lot of "running starts" also. The magneto went bad, and had been dropped from production in '63 or '64, so I replaced it with the later alternator from another BSA. Don't remember if Lucas was involved, but I suspect The Prince of Darkness was at least a consultant!
Now that is funny, next to lucas was the amal carbs that had a bad habit of sticking wide open :o

Spat
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Spat » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:55 pm

gflapg wrote:
Spat wrote: aermacchi harley
Which Model? Got any pics. Used to make a little pocket change back in the day getting them to run for GI's. :)
71 SX aermacchi harley, I'm sure one of these may be on someones worst list.

BTW for you K model fans I took my MC driving test on a 56 KHK. My friend did a nice job restoring it and yes it was a PIA but more reliable than what I had at the time.
Spat
FLHGSSXDR.Patrol
Proud member of the Patrol Patrol

Fall in love with a person who enjoys your madness
Red Green: If life gives you lemons, throw 'em into a quart of vodka.
Red Green: Duct tape or zip tie,,, fixed is fixed

If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going.
Irwin Corey

pierce
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by pierce » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:36 am

This has turned into a great thread, thanks guys & gals. :D