What did you do to your Ural today?

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Pterodactyl
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: What did you do to your Ural today?

Post by Pterodactyl » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:00 pm

I shortened the stalks on both left side signals using the short ones from T. Crawford. Last week I installed a used fairing from a pre-2014 Ural on my 2018. To make it fit I had to use the original rear stalk, the longer of the two originals, on the front so that it will clear the fairing.
Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
Team Pterodactyl
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA

snowymonkey

Post by snowymonkey » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:59 pm

chaos2 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:33 pm
funny how the blinker stalks bother some and not others, I never notice my stock ones. I know others who hate the looks of stock mirrors (especially on sport bikes) and replace them with tiny tucked in numbers that only show your elbows :lol:
I didn’t mind the looks. I just kept bumping them. And I have to worry about the guys at the station. When I’m at the fire department (every 3rd day) I park it in the bay with the trucks.... the guys aren’t quite as careful / aware around it as I am.

I also find that I feel more in control in tight space maneuvers...... i.e. pulling into the aforementioned bay between the door and the truck, I have a few inches clearance in each side.
1BBB6B66-1151-434E-A4A1-07AF166DE89E.jpeg
Pic is from before I shortened the stalks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“ The music moves me, but it moves me ugly” - Nickoli

2008 Ural Patrol - “Toothless”

Lake City Florida

chopfather

Post by chopfather » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:22 pm

I shortened my rear turn signal stalk after taking my almost 4 tear old Grandson for about 30 laps of the front and back yard with him laughing almost the entire time.
I'd been meaning to shorten the rear signal for some time and decided to get it done after seeing Lofty's post yesterday. I used my crappy old chinese tap and die set to add a few more threads to the longest threaded end and then cut it just to give the nuts a bit more purchase. I'm happy with the results and it gave my Grandson some more garage time since he loves to fix things.
Rick Current Bikes- 2018 Ural Gear Up
'91 HD Sportster
'81 Yamaha XS650 - 2 of them, both works in progress
'2015 Coleman CT200U minibike

Happytrails

Post by Happytrails » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:09 pm

Was very sunny and cool here today so went for a long ride. During the ride had to lock up the brakes when a cat decided he had right of way. Didn't stop to gas up on way home so I emptied my gas can and pumped it in the tank instead. Everything has a good dose of stabil 360. :)

-JR

2018 Ural GearUp, Urban Camo
1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:56 pm

I sourced some electrical connectors that allowed me to [finally] hardwire the Garmin Zumo GPS cradle without any cutting or splicing, so that's the job I attended to today.

<<Let the scrolling commence>>

My existing power connection was via the OEM 12V outlet in the sidecar. I used a pair of MTW .110 connectors to bridge the gap between the Zumo's harness and the male Powerlet pigtail. Originally a rush job, it looked craptacular. Not up to my usual standard at all.

I identified the city light connections on the recently installed Hella E-code headlight shell as the preferred power connection for the Zumo.

Esoteric splitters were used to create four male connections from the two originals. Experience has proven that the Zumo's current draw is nominal, so I wasn't concerned about configuring the connection in this manner.

New female disconnects with integrated heat shrink sleeves would replace the MTW .110/Powerlet pigtail combination.

The disconnects required considerable heat to shrink them correctly. Proper care must be taken to avoid damaging any gauge of wire being used with them.

A two-for-one deal.

The cradle's power wire neatly twins with an existing wire that goes under the speedometer.

Time to test. The city light continues to correctly illuminate when the key is turned to the On and the Parking positions...

...whilst the Zumo boots up correctly after being concurrently energized.

When the key is turned to the Off position, the GPS then displays the correct prompt. Done and done.

:wink:
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

VWNate1
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by VWNate1 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:36 am

I love my Garmin ! .

I just leave it to scroll showing me where I am .
-Nate
'94 Tourist 650
'96 650 Solo
'10 Solo sT Crashed & Ruined 6.26.17 :cry:

wooden nickel

Post by wooden nickel » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:46 am

Lofty,
It is pretty crowded in the headlight bucket. It would be a good idea to add a couple layers of tape or a layer of heat shrink to the female quick disconnects. Bare conductors seem to be highly attractive to their opposite polarity. I usually use shielded quick disconnects just for safety.
I may not be good, but I'm slow.
Nick
2014 M70 Retros, the sports car of Urals.

Happytrails

Post by Happytrails » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:09 am

chaos2 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:33 pm
funny how the blinker stalks bother some and not others, I never notice my stock ones. I know others who hate the looks of stock mirrors (especially on sport bikes) and replace them with tiny tucked in numbers that only show your elbows :lol:
The factory stalks never bother me either so its interesting to see others doing there mods. But it does get me thinking a little about changing over to LEDs. :)
-JR

2018 Ural GearUp, Urban Camo
1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:57 am

wooden nickel wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:46 am
Lofty,
It is pretty crowded in the headlight bucket. It would be a good idea to add a couple layers of tape or a layer of heat shrink to the female quick disconnects.
Already done, Nick. I'm an artiste with 3M Super 88. Thanks for the suggestion.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

Msblu79

Post by Msblu79 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:32 am

Sounds like I have a bearing failing in the alternator cush drive housing or at least I hope it is and not an engine problem. Been hearing a howling from the top of the engine and it has gotten louder. I stopped riding it and have ordered the bearings & seals/gaskets to rebuild it. I will tear into it when the parts arrive and if I can remember I will take pictures. Billy G has a nice writeup on how to take it apart and it shouldn't be to difficult. :(
2010 Black Patrol 92,000km's
Modtop airbox, 2013 branch pipes, Perch rings, Yamaha petcock, Drilled slides, Gossie needles, 145 mains, 45 pilots, insulated manifolds, Modtop pushrods, Dual FMF exhaust, PA Multi-spark system w/ VOES, Spin on filter conversion, 33mpg, Royal Purple fluids.

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:57 am

Ah!! As per this case here – skip to 8 minutes if you get bored .. :D

-
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Msblu79

Post by Msblu79 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:06 pm

Thanks Mr.Wazzock, I just hope I caught it in time and did not spin a bearing on the shaft. The shaft is not available separately, I would have to buy the whole cush drive which is about $330. Fingers crossed. :gahhh:
Modtop airbox, 2013 branch pipes, Perch rings, Yamaha petcock, Drilled slides, Gossie needles, 145 mains, 45 pilots, insulated manifolds, Modtop pushrods, Dual FMF exhaust, PA Multi-spark system w/ VOES, Spin on filter conversion, 33mpg, Royal Purple fluids.

wooden nickel

Post by wooden nickel » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:12 pm

Msblu, If the bearing didn't cut a groove on the shaft and only spun enough to loosen up, you can take a centerpunch and raise a few light dings around the shaft ad then use green bearing seating Locktite. I have had good luck in a lot higher stress places than a alternator drive.
I may not be good, but I'm slow.
Nick
2014 M70 Retros, the sports car of Urals.

Msblu79

Post by Msblu79 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:37 am

Thanks Wooden Nickel, I will try this if it did indeed damage it, I hope I can rebuild it for about $30 worth of parts and a Saturday afternoon. Parts are due on Sat. and I will have it apart and ready when they arrive. I'll try to get some pics of it all as I go this time. Can't complain to much I guess as I got almost 10 years out of the bearings with just the grease that comes in them. If it was assembled by the same dude that did my original FD then I'm happy I got this far. :lol: :cheers:

Pterodactyl

Post by Pterodactyl » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:21 pm

Installed a Fuze Block, GPS, Clearwater Darla auxiliary lights and a Denali SoundBomb horn. The auxiliary lights are activated by the high beam switch and the horn uses the OE switch, boyh through a relay. The Fuze Block has an internal relay so circuits like the GPS can be tied to the ignition. Also rewired the heated grips through the Fuze Block.
Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
Team Pterodactyl
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA