What did you do to your Ural today?

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Mr Wazzock
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: What did you do to your Ural today?

Post by Mr Wazzock » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:19 pm

The master cylinder would pump a littl ... ir bubble.

Er, not wanting to sound like I'm telling you how to do it, a capable chap such as yourself, but you are aware the caliper has to come off so that the bleed nipple is uppermost?

:D

I 'member when I went to get a new pusher tyre fitted, just before that it had a service and he bled the front but said "we won't do the rear now as it's going to get a new tyre soon, so I'll do it then as the caliper will have to come off anyway for getting the wheel out."
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:09 pm

you are aware the caliper has to come off so that the bleed nipple is uppermost?
I am. It may not look like it, since the caliper tipped forward as I took the picture on the previous page, but I have it bolted 90° relative to it's normal position.
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "Little Red Bear", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", Mid-Nineties Ural Tourist "The Heap", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:24 pm

AWRAHT! I think I've got the Mobile Chernobyl ready to ride to work tomorrow. It's been too long...

2020-08-04 20.10.03.jpg

The "trick" for getting that air-filled rear brake system bled was to remove the wheel and left shock absorber, which allowed me to position the caliper up high, under the tractor saddle. I got a BUNCH of air purged. I then had to rotate it around several axis to get the rest out. Brake feels good now.

I also applied fresh double-sided foam tape to the kickstarter bump-stop, which recently popped off.

While I was removing the left valve cover to address the leaking area around the 12mm retaining cap nut, I tore the orange silicone rubber gasket. I THOUGHT I had a spare set (and I probably do... somewhere), but I couldn't find it, so I used one of the hard metallic style gaskets. (Gasket mis-match to match my cylinder mis-match [bare aluminum on the left, black powder-coat on the right]) I also placed a perfectly-sized rubber washer from my spare parts bins under the cap nut. Hopefully it seals well. In addition, I topped off the oil level, so the bike SHOULD be good to go for the morning commute, which excites me terribly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Chad

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "Little Red Bear", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", Mid-Nineties Ural Tourist "The Heap", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:

Desantnik-VDV
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:34 pm

Tomcatfixer wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:24 pm
I also placed a perfectly-sized rubber washer from my spare parts bins under the cap nut. Hopefully it seals well. In addition, I topped off the oil level, so the bike SHOULD be good to go for the morning commute, which excites me terribly.
Chad, that's what I did over a year ago on the '14 m70. It was making my right boot wet. There were also silicone valve cover gaskets installed, but the leak was from under the cover nut. A rubber gasket sealed that leak perfectly. :cheers:
Alex
2007 GearUp - BMD (Боевая Машина Десанта)

The rest is just history.

Niteblues
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Niteblues » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:11 pm

My Ural ran great when I parked it in my garage. That was almost two years ago. It hasn't been started since. I have put the battery on a trickle charge a couple of times, and the battery is fine.

Should I fire it up and go for a ride?

Or should I fire it up, warm it up, shut it down and replace the fluids before running it? Or should I dump all fluids and change them before I do anything, then warm it up with the fresh fluids, shut it down, then replace those fluids again before running it for a long period? Gas additive before starting it? Sponge bath?

(...it's definitely getting a sponge bath.)

I haven't lubricated anything (driveshaft splines, wheel bearings, etc) in ages, even when I was riding it more often.
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

"You can ride farther in one hour than you can walk in a day"

"Media bias contributes to erosion of the perception of truth." Tanya Marcum

Desantnik-VDV
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:29 pm

Niteblues wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:11 pm
My Ural ran great when I parked it in my garage. That was almost two years ago. It hasn't been started since. I have put the battery on a trickle charge a couple of times, and the battery is fine.

Should I fire it up and go for a ride?

Or should I fire it up, warm it up, shut it down and replace the fluids before running it? Or should I dump all fluids and change them before I do anything, then warm it up with the fresh fluids, shut it down, then replace those fluids again before running it for a long period? Gas additive before starting it? Sponge bath?

(...it's definitely getting a sponge bath.)

I haven't lubricated anything (driveshaft splines, wheel bearings, etc) in ages, even when I was riding it more often.

3 liters of oil, a filter and a gearoil doesn't cost much.
If your oils are not contaminated by gasoline or water, you can warm up the bike and go ride for some 5-10 miles before changing all oils and feel much better for giving your bike a treatment. :wink:
Alex

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:14 am

The ride in to work this morning was glorious. It had been too long since I had ridden. It started off feeling a little too cool, but it didn't take my body long to adjust to the temperature.

The Hella headlight lens and LED bulb work great in the dark and make traffic signs "pop". I didn't ride in true darkness while living in Virginia Beach, since there are thousands upon thousands of street lights.

At some point, the Malfunction Indicator Lamp illuminated, but just before I arrived at work, it extinguished. I don't know if I can check the memory for old codes or if they're only actively stored while the MIL is lit.

The rear brake started off firm, but softened up as I approached work. I think I know why...

At the last stoplight before my destination, I saw wisps of smoke rising through the headlight beam. Smelled like oil. When I shut 'er down in the parking lot, I saw oil all down the side of the engine and transmission, with spatters on the swingarm. The rubber w.a.s.h.e.r I placed under the cap nut didn't leak a drop, but it appeared that the new gasket I used was not effective. Annoying! I wonder if I over-torqued and warped the valve cover? I used a torque wrench and didn't even put 10ft-lbs on it. Or is it supposed to be 8? 🤔 In any case, I think oil sprayed in my rear brake disc, reducing it's effectiveness.
- Chad

Current rides:

Previous rides:

Pterodactyl

Post by Pterodactyl » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:24 am

Tomcatfixer wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:14 am
The ride in to work this morning was glorious. It had been too long since I had ridden. It started off feeling a little too cool, but it didn't take my body long to adjust to the temperature.

The Hella headlight lens and LED bulb work great in the dark and make traffic signs "pop". I didn't ride in true darkness while living in Virginia Beach, since there are thousands upon thousands of street lights.

At some point, the Malfunction Indicator Lamp illuminated, but just before I arrived at work, it extinguished. I don't know if I can check the memory for old codes or if they're only actively stored while the MIL is lit.

The rear brake started off firm, but softened up as I approached work. I think I know why...

At the last stoplight before my destination, I saw wisps of smoke rising through the headlight beam. Smelled like oil. When I shut 'er down in the parking lot, I saw oil all down the side of the engine and transmission, with spatters on the swingarm. The rubber w.a.s.h.e.r I placed under the cap nut didn't leak a drop, but it appeared that the new gasket I used was not effective. Annoying! I wonder if I over-torqued and warped the valve cover? I used a torque wrench and didn't even put 10ft-lbs on it. Or is it supposed to be 8? 🤔 In any case, I think oil sprayed in my rear brake disc, reducing it's effectiveness.
On our 18 and 19 fault codes are only retievable while the MIL is illuminated. I imagine they are still in there and can be seen by a ural diagnostic tool.

Rough way to start a day. Work? I thought you recently retired.
Kevin
God Bless America!
The Outpost, Silver City, MT
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA

Pterodactyl

Post by Pterodactyl » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:30 am

Rewired the power source for the starter relay on Spousal Unit's 2019. She was experiencing occasional failure to start which behaved like a faulty relay... all click, no spin. Called my dealer and was told it is a known issue and required a rerouting of a wire on the back of the fuse block. The 19s have an updated wiring harness and the relay power was drawn from an improper source. i was provided Ural produced instructions on how to rewire the relay power source. Pretty simple job and seems to have worked.
Kevin
God Bless America!
The Outpost, Silver City, MT
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:33 am

Work? I thought you recently retired.
Retired from government service, now employed by the private sector for Ural parts money. :wink:
- Chad

Current rides:

Previous rides:

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:52 am

Chad, if you are using the silicone gaskets on your valve covers forget about factory torque settings. I've found they are too much vs. what's appropriate for the OEM fiber or paper based gaskets. You will deform and ruin the silicone ones. Just "feel tight", not "Hercules tight" for the Silly's.

You said this was your first MC ride in months? Don't you have 3-4 Urals, what about the Honda?
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only) *NOT running amok, out for Bottom & Top-End Rebuild.
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

List what you "have", keep the others in your precious memory bank.

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:28 am

stagewex wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:52 am
Chad, if you are using the silicone gaskets on your valve covers forget about factory torque settings. I've found they are too much vs. what's appropriate for the OEM fiber or paper based gaskets. You will deform and ruin the silicone ones. Just "feel tight", not "Hercules tight" for the Silly's.

You said this was your first MC ride in months? Don't you have 3-4 Urals, what about the Honda?
Thanks for the gasket tips, Mike.

The "Viffer" hasn't been ridden in years (basically, since the Mobile Chernobyl came along). It needs brake caliper work and a battery.

I pulled the Little Red Bear's engine to address some leaks and ended up deciding to overhaul the motor. Waiting on lathe time to turn some cam plain bearings down to work with a roller bearing cup.

The Desert project bike hasn't seen much action, since I got the Patrol. It still needs the tub to be prepped and painted, plus wiring, plus engine final assembly.

The Heap is still in the same "thousand pieces" condition that it was in when I bought it from eastbloc. Of course, being me, I added more pieces. :wink:

SO, with the 'Chernobyl's transmission and brake repair, I'm back up to my status quo of One Running Ural. :oops:
- Chad

Current rides:

Previous rides:

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:17 pm

I thought of St. Chad-in-the-Fields when I recently snagged a free snowthrower that was placed curbside at a neighbor's house. Yet another thing to tinker with. It would have been snow machine #4 for me, had I not recently (and healthily) purged some of my surplus inventory. There's just one driveway (or lawn) and just one Me, but that's never been an impediment to buying multiples of something, so...

The bonus is that the freebie is powered by a Tecumseh two-stroke unit that is well-rated on the youtubes. It should require nothing more than a new carburetor kit to be ring-ding-dinging again come wintertime.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

Desantnik-VDV
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:01 pm

Installed dual Fiamm electric horns from my old airhead 1980 BMW R100RT, which was parted out 13 years ago after using its engine in 1999 Ural Deco Classic...

It was a long debate between dual trumpet air horns and a pair of high/low Fiamm electric. Didn't find any good place to install trumpets and a separate air pump. So, gone ahead with Fiamms and mounted on the right side alternator ear. Used Urals stock horn wires straight on a 30 amp relay (that's what I already had) just wired a positive wire with a 10 amp. fuse from the battery to the relay. 10 amp should be more then enough for 1980 Fiamm made in Italy. Had to remove gas tank and zip tie the relay under, just on top of ignition coil area. Ground/earth is coming from alternator. No dedicated ground wire...
Stock Ural horn is still hanging there where it was. :D

Did not go to the store for anything.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alex

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:36 pm

The "trick" for getting that air-filled rear brake system bled was to remove the wheel and left shock absorber, which allowed me to position the caliper up high, under the tractor saddle. I got a BUNCH of air purged. I then had to rotate it around several axis to get the rest out. Brake feels good now.
Excellent! :thumbsup:
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")