What did you do to your Ural today?

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
cheeseheadmike
Comrade General
Comrade General

Re: What did you do to your Ural today?

Post by cheeseheadmike » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:45 am

Kliff wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:33 pm
:boogie:
cheeseheadmike wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:17 pm
All oils changed, balanced carbs, new plugs, and added a spin on filter adapter. All fluids looked pretty clean and had minimal swarf on the drain plugs.
Sweet...little to no swarf, always a good thing!
At a tad over 45,000km, everything is pretty well polished.
cheeseheadmike

1973 Velosolex 3800-slow, 1977 Velosolex 4600-really slow
1979 Honda CX500-not slow at all
Various bicycles from 1947 to 2018-slow to fast, depending on my mood
2007 Ural Gear Up

sagerat
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by sagerat » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:01 pm

Adjusted valves. Set all to .004. Bike side valves were so tight .002 feeler gauge wouldn’t go through. Hack side were a really tight .004, probably .003 if I could find my lost .003 gauge, I’d have known for sure.

Took buddy and I about an hour. Sounded fine on start up, will do test ride later to heat oils in engine, tranny, FD for a change.

Minimal valve cover drips; bolt on covers snug, several threads still showing, but not going to overtighten. Washers still in place.

One valve cover pin came out of head and had to be returned to its rightful place.
2004 Ural Tourist (2004-2018, 48,000 klicks)

2012 Ural Gobi (Forward to the horizon)

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure (KIA, sniff)

2017 Kawasaki KLR650 (Semi-orphaned by Urals)

mr. cob
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by mr. cob » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:43 pm

Howdy All,

Not "today" but sold the 2013/14 to a gentleman from Colorado, he should be getting it within the next couple of days. Today, a very nice guy who lives in seattle came out to look at the 2008, pretty sure that one is sold but will hold off announcing it till the money changes hands probably within the next 7-10 days. Now I am seriously thinking of selling the Predator, and becoming Ural-less. Don't know it would be a different chapter in life after being surrounded by the darn things for the last 15 years.

Dave
Mr. Cob

Driver of the "Predator" a highly modified 2005 Gear-Up.

The "Canyon Acrobat" a 2008 Gear-Up, and the "Kraken" a 2013/14 Gear-Up, have been sold and no longer in my stable.

My Photo galleries, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

Kliff
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Kliff » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:56 pm

mr. cob wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:43 pm
Howdy All,

Not "today" but sold the 2013/14 to a gentleman from Colorado, he should be getting it within the next couple of days. Today, a very nice guy who lives in seattle came out to look at the 2008, pretty sure that one is sold but will hold off announcing it till the money changes hands probably within the next 7-10 days. Now I am seriously thinking of selling the Predator, and becoming Ural-less. Don't know it would be a different chapter in life after being surrounded by the darn things for the last 15 years.

Dave
WOW!
'20 Gear Up
'15 Gear Up
Pleasant memories:
'05 Gear Up
'04 Tourist
'12 Spyder
VW Trike (2)
2002 Suzuki DR600 w/ home made hack
4...KLR 650's
And about 30 additional, Harleys, Honda's, Kawasakis, Triumps, Nortons and Suzukis, spanning 53 years of riding...
Retired H-D Parts Manager
Martinez, GA

windmill

Post by windmill » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:04 pm

mr. cob wrote:
Howdy All,

Dave
:cry: :cry: :cry:

We've had so many good times riding together over the years.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

mr. cob
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by mr. cob » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:06 am

windmill wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:04 pm
mr. cob wrote:
Howdy All,

Dave
:cry: :cry: :cry:

We've had so many good times riding together over the years.
Howdy Barry,

I said I was thinking about becoming Ural-less, doesn't mean it's going to happen. The only reason I am thinking about selling the Predator, is because no one does the hard riding anymore that I know, it's not setup for Hwy. use it excells at going through, over and around the nasty stuff but it's not fun to do such riding alone and it's darn sure not safe. If Ilya, can make me a deal that I can't refuse I'd really like to get into a newer second generation fueli rig but I just can't justify the cost of a new rig. Even the new ones are still Ural's, I have ridden them to long, know them to well to spend that much money.

The glory days of my being able to earn a new rig from IMWA are long gone, they are now an established motorcycle company, well known and so many people now are doing things beyond what I did in the old days. There was a time when my contributions were worth something, when my parts breaking exploits contributed to a better machine being produced, now not so much, IMWA is marketing to a much different demographic then when they were giving me rigs to test and promote the brand. It was a damned good ride while it lasted but like all good things it has come to an end. I am honored to have been a part of IMWA and Ural's success, I will treasure those days always with or without a Ural in my stable.

Dave
Mr. Cob

The "Canyon Acrobat" a 2008 Gear-Up, and the "Kraken" a 2013/14 Gear-Up, have been sold and no longer in my stable.

Kliff
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Kliff » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:20 am

mr. cob wrote:
Howdy All,

Dave
Dave, it really saddens me to see you dropping out, if you actually do.
But if you do, I'd like to be considered a buyer for any, and possibly all of your IMZ URAL special tools, for engine tyranny, and final drive work.
I know they'd be heavy, and expensive to ship, but if crated up and put on a 3x3 or 4x4 pallet, and shipped truck freight, it would be cheaper than UPS.
Just a thought, as I'll pay the freight Bill too, if you are interested in selling your specialized tools.
If you are interested, please message me with a list of tools, pics if possible, and your price.
Thanks.
Kliff
'20 Gear Up
'15 Gear Up
Pleasant memories:
'05 Gear Up
'04 Tourist
'12 Spyder
VW Trike (2)
4...KLR 650's
And about 30 additional, Harleys, Honda's, Kawasakis, Triumps, Nortons and Suzukis, spanning 53 years of riding...
Martinez, GA

windmill

Post by windmill » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:30 am

mr. cob wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:06 am
Howdy Barry,

I said I was thinking about becoming Ural-less, doesn't mean it's going to happen. The only reason I am thinking about selling the Predator, is because no one does the hard riding anymore that I know, it's not setup for Hwy. use it excells at going through, over and around the nasty stuff but it's not fun to do such riding alone and it's darn sure not safe. If Ilya, can make me a deal that I can't refuse I'd really like to get into a newer second generation fueli rig but I just can't justify the cost of a new rig. Even the new ones are still Ural's, I have ridden them to long, know them to well to spend that much money.

The glory days of my being able to earn a new rig from IMWA are long gone, they are now an established motorcycle company, well known and so many people now are doing things beyond what I did in the old days. There was a time when my contributions were worth something, when my parts breaking exploits contributed to a better machine being produced, now not so much, IMWA is marketing to a much different demographic then when they were giving me rigs to test and promote the brand. It was a damned good ride while it lasted but like all good things it has come to an end. I am honored to have been a part of IMWA and Ural's success, I will treasure those days always with or without a Ural in my stable.

Dave
I know what you're saying, off roading really isn't practical for me anymore with my bum ankle. Yesterday I was mowing with my lawn tractor, and got stuck on the edge of a ditch. It turned into a big hassle Instead of just being able to give it a lift and push, and its hurting today from the effort.

I've had my M70 2 1/2 years now, 7 months since upgrading it to 2020 specs, and ride it every day like I did my 2007 Patrol before it, yet it still catches me off guard that its nothing, and I do mean nothing like my 2007, it really is a new experience. None of the differences alone are epic, but there's countless little differences that add up to a really meaningful difference overall.
In those years the only issues with my M70 have been a the parking brake cable, and the spotlight switch. Yes, the Gen 2 Urals are expensive, but the value really is there.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

sagerat

Post by sagerat » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:56 am

A Ural world without a COB is like the #%^* Patriots without Tom Brady. Things just won’t feel the same.

Good luck on your next phase, Dave, but feel to stick around SS whether you have a Ural or not.

mr. cob
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by mr. cob » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:16 pm

Kliff wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:20 am
mr. cob wrote:
Howdy All,

Dave
Dave, it really saddens me to see you dropping out, if you actually do.
But if you do, I'd like to be considered a buyer for any, and possibly all of your IMZ URAL special tools, for engine tyranny, and final drive work.
I know they'd be heavy, and expensive to ship, but if crated up and put on a 3x3 or 4x4 pallet, and shipped truck freight, it would be cheaper than UPS.
Just a thought, as I'll pay the freight Bill too, if you are interested in selling your specialized tools.
If you are interested, please message me with a list of tools, pics if possible, and your price.
Thanks.
Kliff
Howdy Kliff,

I worked and learned from the Master Ural Mechanic Sergey, I don't have any Ural specific tools other then those that come in the Ural tool kit. You would be surprised if you saw Sergey's work area, he does 95% of his work with little more then what comes in the tool kit, yes he has special seal drivers and a few other specialty tools but not many. He does have a remarkable engine stand that allows the engine to be positioned in many different ways but his main tool is his extensive knowledge. I have torn down broken final drives to remove the broken teeth so we could continue very jerkingly but we continued, installed clutches and replaced pistons in the hinterlands such as Death Valley, with the tools that come in the tool kit supplemented with a BFH. So should I decide to wander Ural-less I won't be selling anything in the way of special tools but I will sell off all the parts I have accumulated over the years.

One of the parts that may be for sale is the ONE and ONLY surviving final drive on the entire planet that has Herzog gears in it. Those gears have survived sheared off ring gear bolts twice; split final drive case once, burnt out pinion bearing once and blown two wheel drive dog clutch assemblies twice and they still look like NEW. Needless to say this will be an expensive unit should I decide to sell it.

Dave
Mr. Cob

mr. cob
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by mr. cob » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:18 pm

sagerat wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:56 am
A Ural world without a COB is like the #%^* Patriots without Tom Brady. Things just won’t feel the same.

Good luck on your next phase, Dave, but feel to stick around SS whether you have a Ural or not.
Howdy sagerat,

It's not a for sure thing that I'll become Ural-less but even if I do I'll still hang out here to enjoy the antics of all you Uralistas.

Dave
Mr. Cob

VWNate1
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Another Sad Day

Post by VWNate1 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:11 pm

I'd also like to chime in and say THANK YOU Dave as you really were there helping out when we were all rattling along on early 1990's 650's .

May the road always rise to meet you wherever you go .

:bow:
-Nate
'94 Tourist 650
'96 650 Solo
'10 Solo sT Crashed & Ruined 6.26.17 :cry:

Kliff
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Kliff » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:00 am

mr. cob wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:18 pm
sagerat wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:56 am

Howdy sagerat,

It's not a for sure thing that I'll become Ural-less but even if I do I'll still hang out here to enjoy the antics of all you Uralistas.

Dave
Dave, even though the freebies may have dried up, there is a whole new URAL being produced now, with better piston, cylinders, and heads, not to mention F.I.
Why not take the plunge, and help find the limits on this upgraded engine.
It's bound to be fun, and you are the duly honored leader of the pack...so why stop now...FORWARD!
'20 Gear Up
'15 Gear Up
Pleasant memories:
'05 Gear Up
'04 Tourist
'12 Spyder
VW Trike (2)
4...KLR 650's
Martinez, GA

fulleraviation
Party Member
Party Member

Post by fulleraviation » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:13 am

Installed new tank cover.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2003 Ural Patrol

sagerat

Post by sagerat » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:17 am

That is a really cool tank cover. Where’d you get it?