What did you do to your Ural today?

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
bratmanxj
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: What did you do to your Ural today?

Post by bratmanxj » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:26 pm

Took advantage of the little weather warm up and had to do some home repairs...off to the store we go. Still have the Christmas decorations on from the Chicago Toys For Tots Parade at the beginning of the month.
2019-12-21 09.38.42_rev.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1999 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
2007 Ural Tourist - The Big Red Brick
Chinese Knock off Honda Trail 70 rescued from the in-laws shed
1984 Suzuki LT125 Quadrunner - Sold off to a Friend
Boats, Jets Skis and Golf Carts...other fun stuff!

cheeseheadmike
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by cheeseheadmike » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:06 pm

Used the sidecar as a workbench while replacing the front hubs on my pickup.
cheeseheadmike

1973 Velosolex 3800-slow, 1977 Velosolex 4600-really slow
1979 Honda CX500-not slow at all
Various bicycles from 1947 to 2018-slow to fast, depending on my mood
2007 Ural Gear Up

adriancw

Post by adriancw » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:24 pm

Mr Wazzock wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:48 pm
casco wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:52 pm
Replaced rear brake pads on 2018 GU. was having a heck of a time compressing the caliper until I found a post leading me to remove parking brake lever from brake caliper/pad assembly. I turned the splined shaft in and bing bang boom, smooth sailing from there.
Oh yes piston won't retract for new pads until parking brake shaft is screwed out all the way. :D
OMG - I wish I had read this post sooner!! I just replaced the rear brake pads on my 2016 Gear Up. I've done this countless times on my other bikes and never thought it would be so time consuming on the Ural.

For those who still cannot get their caliper back on after switching out the old pads, try this:

Insert the new "outer" brake pad (the one facing inwards toward the disk) with the pins in place so it's lined up.
Then use a couple of G-Clamps (aka C-Clamps), not the vice type just the simple screw-in type.
Apply pressure evenly across the caliper and the brake pad.
This will help to squeeze/ease the piston fully in and allow the "inner" pads to be inserted.
Insert the retaining pins, fully through the new inner pads.
Put the circlip back on the pins.

As it's a floating caliper, this did not seem to warp or cause any damage to the disk.

Or, remove the rear parking brake and do it right saving yourself a ton of time, blood, sweat, tears etc. :-) Cheers, Adrian
Adrian C Wright
2016 Ural Gear Up
1969 BSA Rocket 3 A-75
2004 BMW R1150RT
and a few projects...

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:32 pm

If having difficulty pressing the piston back don't forget to check whether there's an air space in the fluid reservoir. If it's been overfilled, the fluid will create a 'lock' and not let the piston go fully back. For this reason you MUST NEVER 'top up' the fluid reservoir because it looks a bit low, it will look like that if the pads are worn. When new pads are fitted, the original level is restored.

A technique I've often used is put the old pads back in then use a BIG screwdriver to lever them apart, to press the piston(s) back. :D

I don't seem to have anything like as much trouble with the parking brake mechanism as some other people do, maybe it's just me :D
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Desantnik-VDV
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:12 am

Mr Wazzock wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:32 pm
For this reason you MUST NEVER 'top up' the fluid reservoir because it looks a bit low, it will look like that if the pads are worn. When new pads are fitted, the original level is restored.

A technique I've often used is put the old pads back in then use a BIG screwdriver to lever them apart, to press the piston(s) back. :D
Totally agree with Mr. Wazzock on both paragraphs!
When I was putting a lots of miles on a car (most of it my weekend shift partner...1000 miles per weekend) and had to replace front brakes every 1.5 to 2 months I was taking the car for oil changes every 2-3 weeks and mechanics tend to add brake fluid to reservoir...told them many times do not fill any, 'cause when you place new pads, half of the fluid will pore out of the reservoir and make a mess under the hood.

And used a big screwdriver to compress, or make it depress the caliper if I was too lazy to use the brake caliper tool :)
Alex
2007 GearUp - BMD (Боевая Машина Десанта)

The rest is just a History.

VWNate1
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Caliper Piston Compressing

Post by VWNate1 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:10 pm

I've not tried this on a URAL so caveat emptor but I use a small crow bar I bought at the .99 CENTS store ~ the long end is slightly bent and as mentioned, can be worked between the old pads and disc (never, EVER press against the piston directly ! .

Most drugs stores sell cheap syringes, I have a large one marked with a permanent marker only for brake fluid .

Use one to remove the old fluid before changing the pads then top up with new, good quality DOT 4 brake fluid .
-Nate
'94 Tourist 650
'96 650 Solo
'10 Solo sT Crashed & Ruined 6.26.17 :cry:

Birdy
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Birdy » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:05 pm

I lucked out and got a Brake Piston compressor, looks like a bent bar of steel with a big screw with a pad on one end at a yard sale for a buck! Never even opened and it works on car and motorcycles. Don't need a pad in place as this does the job with no fuss, mine has a rubber/plastic pad pn the end of the screw.. I use a baster bulb to remove brake fluid and pump the brake until I get clean fresh fluid. Then I top it up and don't add until next set of pads go in.

2017 Ural Patrol, Lenin's Revenge
2012 Kawasaki Versys, Mini Me
2008 Royal Enfield...the money pit, undergoing restoration

Desantnik-VDV
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:04 pm

You can also use a C or a G-clamp as well with your old pad against the piston to compress it back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alex
2007 GearUp - BMD (Боевая Машина Десанта)

The rest is just a History.

windmill

Post by windmill » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:05 am

Mr Wazzock wrote:
+1
Mr Wazzock wrote:
I don't seem to have anything like as much trouble with the parking brake mechanism as some other people do, maybe it's just me :D
+1
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:59 am

Found a proper place for my control rocker-switch, a neutral location between the front and rear winches:

ATV switch from Rural King, about $16.00.
It comes with a nice adjustable mount but I need another accessory on my handlebars like a hole-in-the-head:
IMG_0310.jpg

Couple different Ram Mount bases. I used the small camera adapter in my hand after hack-sawing a piece of it off:
IMG_0311.jpg

I like simple:
IMG_0315.jpg

So this is where I usually keep a Ram Mount beverage holder or... whatever:
IMG_0323.jpg

With this central location as well as two (2) on the handlebars and the ability to use one of those "mini-claw" Ram mounts the locations are infinite.
Also the ability to take it on and off in seconds which will probably be the way it's used anyway, remotely as a hand pendant:
IMG_0324.jpg
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only) *NOT running amok, out for Bottom & Top-End Rebuild.
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

List what you "have", keep the others in your precious memory bank.

Speedbump
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Speedbump » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:40 pm

Put another 150km's on it today as it was 60 deg. :) Merry Christmas!
Glenn³
2015 Retro.

sKiZo
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by sKiZo » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:36 pm

Replaced the speedo with a fleabay special I hope is a decent solution for the OEM crap unit. This one's GPS and fit right into the dash. Only mod really was cutting down the rubber cover as this unit's quite a bit shorter than the stock. The GPS antenna is just glued to the top of the brake master cylinder and locks in fast. That should get around the "somewhere between 45 and 60" needle bouncing, and I might even be able to see it at night. Wish me luck anyway. <G>

And ya ... I know ... no trip meter. That will give me a chance to polish off my mad math skillz when traveling, but I'm mostly short trips around town anyway. If I forget to write down the mileage from the odo when I fill up, I may also get the opportunity to test my shiny new petcock's reserve. And bonus, I now have zero miles on the bike! <G>

PS - the one I thought I ordered had a trip meter, but either they sent the wrong one, or I fat fingered the order. I'll try this one, and if I decide I can't live with it, we're talking a relatively easy swap as the other one is the same case and size, and wires up the same.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Evil Kneivel? He got nuttin' on me!
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:00 pm

sKiZo wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:36 pm
Replaced the speedo with a fleabay special I hope is a decent solution for the OEM crap unit. This one's GPS and fit right into the dash.

Link, please. TIA.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:51 pm

sKiZo wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:36 pm
.... OEM crap unit..
Hey, be nice! The original speedo fits in perfectly with the nature of classic Urals, calling it names may bring bad karma upon thee :lol: :lol:
Past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a DB Haanjo and Canyon CF SL Endurace, '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

sKiZo
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by sKiZo » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:57 pm

I suppose mashing it with a 4 pound sledge after I make sure the new one is working would be even worse? ;-}

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Evil Kneivel? He got nuttin' on me!
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.