Ural for the wife - almost

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Lokiboy
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Ural for the wife - almost

Post by Lokiboy » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:35 pm

Ok, my wife is almost ready to take the plunge and get her own Ural :foilhead: ; the fly in the ointment is our is our dog, Sammy. She won’t get one until I can get Sammy to ride in the sidecar so he can travel with us 8) . He’s 80lbs. I can get him in the sidecar, but he’s not crazy about staying once there is any movement – and I’m talking no engine, just me pushing. :( I’m thinking of a harness. Any ideas what works? If I went the harness route am I drilling more holes? Any methods you’ve used to get your dog use to riding?

Appreciate any help
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

cableguy344
Party Member
Party Member

Re: Ural for the wife - almost

Post by cableguy344 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:49 pm

I started my dog out riding with my son in the seat (he was the smallest of the group) and Jerry my springer spanial sitting on the floor facing him. He wasn'st to thrilled about the engine noise untill he got some wind in his face. He was hooked from then on. He wore a harness that was clipped to a short leash ( it hs a clip on each end. I think it is so you can walk two dogs with one leash) the other end was clipped to an eye bolt that I put in an unused hole that was right under the seat back. I chose a lenght that would allow him to move a bit, but would stop him from hitting his chest on the top of the tub on sudden stops. I also took the seat bottom out and put down a scrap of carpet so he would have some traction. He got where he would lean when cornering.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1995 Sportsman

gflapg
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gflapg » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:00 pm

I really like Red Rides.:thumbsup:
May all beings be blessed by the three jewels
May the planet be at peace, and the earth stay beautiful
May all beings be happy
May all have good fortune

"When the mind is clear, one can sip tea; when the spirit is at ease, one can talk of aspiration."

2010 GU ( the year before that goofy Pecans and Cream Version)
2003 Raceway Custom Built Wolf
1993 Solo

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:05 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

a1930ford
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by a1930ford » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:08 pm

:lurker:
Last edited by a1930ford on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is a reason Dogs do not live as long as we do. They are our resume in Heaven."
"Cheapest, most efficient and longest distance wifi in the world is prayer."

2005 Troyka "The Dog Taxi" - Wichita Falls, TX.

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tin Man » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:47 am

Lokiboy wrote: Any methods you’ve used to get your dog use to riding?

Appreciate any help

Get my dog used to riding ?????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I can't keep her out of the hack. First time she saw it, she was in like a shot. Trust me, this is her rig......she just allows me to drive. I swear, if she had thumbs, I'd be the one in the hack...... :roll:
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

.........if you see something that needs doing, just do it........

windmill

Post by windmill » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:50 pm

cableguy344 wrote: He wasn'st to thrilled about the engine noise untill he got some wind in his face. He was hooked from then on.
Same thing with Taffy, she didn't like the idea until we got out on the road with the wind in her face. Now she goes nuts if I grab my riding jacket and I'm not wearing my work clothes.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

Ivan Rider
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Ivan Rider » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:05 pm

[/quote]Get my dog used to riding ?????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I can't keep her out of the hack. First time she saw it, she was in like a shot. Trust me, this is her rig......she just allows me to drive. I swear, if she had thumbs, I'd be the one in the hack...... :roll:[/quote]

Same with my Jack Russel, "Lucy" She get real upset when I get out the 2 wheeler.
Ivan Rider AKA: Dennis
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivanrider/
5 Urals - White 2010 SoloT, White '08 Retro, Blue '05 Troyka & OD '99 Patrol
3 BMWs 2 with Sidecars & 1 Solo
2 Honda Big Ruckus's -1 Solo & 1 w/ Sidecar