Your thoughts on this route with a new 2007 GearUp...

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Ragman
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Ragman » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:44 pm

See if you can get a satellite phone.. you may need help.
Милаж
I'm kind of broken now.
2012 Can Am Spyder - Bright Red
Gone Now:
2011 Урал 'Готовьтесь' - лес Камуфляж
2010 but New Yamaha TW 200
2005 Урал Турист- Black - converted to 2wd . missed very much. * 2002 Yamaha TW 200 - 1999 Royal Enfield Bullet - . * many others lost in the fog of time.

seth
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by seth » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:19 pm

sounds like the ride of a lifetime, good for you.
get in some practice and try to get in as much service before the trip as you can manage. asside from the fluids.
Adjust the valves
set the wheel bearings
change a tire tube
get familiar with which fuses do what
get a lock on how frequently you need to refuel when doing highway speed runs
and scour the websites and print anything you think could be usefull.
get AAA roadside for a sidecar outfit.
all these things should ensure you have a problem free trip.

I've beaten the crud outta my ride and it's been pretty good to me in regards to getting me home.

prepare for the worst and you'll get the best. bring a camera
you'll be fine
seth

Hoot Owl Pete
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Hoot Owl Pete » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:49 am

Hey Spicy:

To get a good preview go to Burrohas3wheels.

This guy has pretty much done what your about to.

At the bottom of his Prudhoe Bay log on his site; he lists all about the bike.

Good and Bad.He had very little go wrong.

Hoot Owl Pete.
Stalin: Not One Step Back!
2010 Patrol T Soviet Olive Drab

Spicy McHaggis
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:25 am

I have Gary (BurroHas3Wheels) website bookmarked and have been emailing him about his videos, I'll soon be asking him about the trip. Thanks for the suggestion!

a1930ford
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

trip on new bike

Post by a1930ford » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:29 am

:lurker:
Last edited by a1930ford on Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:13 am

How many klic's are required for a proper break in...

... I know, I know... Kermie has almost got his broken in...
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

George Butz
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by George Butz » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:37 pm

Our '07 felt much better after 1500km. Changed all the fluids again and had Gene re-jet it. At that point I got a re-done transmission and had to kinda re-break that in, but it was like a different motorcycle. I think after that you can put her through her paces. :D
Сьюзи (2007 homemade Gear-up)
(1988 BMW conversion)
http://www.easternbloc.biz

greenmachine
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by greenmachine » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:50 pm

It's probably never a GREAT idea to take off on a long trip with a shiny new russian sidecar rig... or any other rig for that matter... especially if yer not an experienced sidecar pilot and have no experience with wrenching on the rig. Doable, but not all that good of an idea when ya think of it... ;-)

The rig should go through about 5 to 10 thou to loosen up the engine and gearbox to where things can be adjusted and set up properly. This is hard to do on a newish engine cuz stuff gets strangely hot and tight and not all at the same time. By this time you probably will have cleaned and jetted the carbs, got the intakes to where they don't leak, got the petcock and fuel system tweaked out so you actually have fuel flowing well, figured out how to properly set the valves, replaced the POC wheel bearings, got the brakes working right, fixed the loose electrical terminations, replaced the bearings in the alternator coupler and lubed it properly, got the alignment and set up nice on the chair and bike, got yer cats removed cuz they melted and plugged up the exhaust, figured out that yer runnin not nearly enough air pressure in the pusher tire..... stuff like that there.

In the mean time you'll need to teach yourself how to pilot a rig without killing yerself or somebody else. Life will be good. Time to go on a nice long trip.

Just a thunk.
Of course, we don't always do the SMART thing now do we?

:-))

I can't ever get my rig completely broken in.... cuz about the time I get some part worn in right.... I manage to bust it and I have to start all over again... It's a never ending battle for truth, justice, and the kommie way...

kermitski
Russian biker has-been....
Rode around the block a couple times
and got rid of the goofy thing...
:-))

QBall
Commissar
Commissar

Post by QBall » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:08 pm

Ya know,GreenMachine. When you list it all out like that, I know why my wife keeps asking me "Isnt that anew bike? Why are you always working on it?"
QBall
2007 Gear Up - Yertle
2000 Triumph TBird

CURD Ambassador to Connecticut

Spicy McHaggis
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:37 pm

Wow...I guess I should have expected such varied replies.

So far, I've got (not all from this site)...that I should go ahead and do it - you'll have no problems to NO don't do it cuz you'll need about 10k on the ticker before you'll be comfy.

Well, I don't have the luxury of doing 10k. Heck it'll be almost impossible for me to break 5k in a year. I've got 140 miles of roads to drive on, without leaving on a ferry.

So, I'll be doing the "unsmart" thing, as greenmachine mentioned. But I've modified my trip a bit, cut down the mileage quite a bit, but will still have a good time.

I'll be farting around with the family in Skagway for a day or so (no more than 100 miles, most likely). Then off to Dawson, giving myself 2 full days to do the 400 miles. Then I'll give myself 4 days to get back from Dawson to Haines, and catch the ferry, for a grand total of about 1100 miles spread out over about 8-9 days. If I can't handle that...well, then I'll think about getting my nuts cut off. :lol:

I'm not confident enough in the moto to do the entire 2400 mile trip solo. Not yet. And I don't know what my confidence will be in the driving aspect, since I don't have the moto yet. But I'll do what riding I can while in Oregon to pick it up, and once the roads (SALT) here in Juneau are sufficiently w@$#ed off from Mother Nature, I'll ride the hell out of it until the June trip.

Worst case scenario, I ride my '06KLR650. But I don't wanna do that!

Thanks all for the many varied replies. I appreciate each one of them.
Andy

JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary

Post by JohnBG » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:43 pm

S 854 wrote:How many klic's are required for a proper break in...
500. Then she's broke in.
John Grocke aka "JohnBG"
Site Administrator - sovietsteeds.com

Current Rides:
'06 Ural Raven - "Vorona"
'09 Kawasaki KLR650 - "Madea"

History:
'98.5 Ural Tourist - "Valentina" - Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Harley Road King FLHPI
1997 Harley Electra Glide FLHTPI
Honda Nighthawk 650 from the mid-80's
1980 Suzuki RM125T
1970 Honda CL100

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary

Re: trip on new bike

Post by JohnBG » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:46 pm

a1930ford wrote:Just remember, the rig isn't broken in with just the first 500km on it. Although some folks have ridden a new rig huge distances during their break-in process, the break-in/wear-in time is pretty crucial to the bike lasting as long as it can. Watch the lugging, over heating and so forth, and you will likely be ok. Stick with the servicing recommendations as well. Don't push it too hard in applying full throttle in hill climbing and when in cross winds or head winds that will surely face you at times. Ambitious journey, so don't let it get ruined by overextending the wear and tear on the new engine, tranny, final drive and all. Great luck to you on your adventure.
Sorry Huey I gotta disagree...

IMO that slow break thing in is :bs: for the newer bikes (It was the par for the old 650 mostly Russian bikes)

For the first 500km, keep it under 50 mph (don't lug it) with plenty of heat/cool cycles, and then change the oils, adjust the valve clearance (while cold), re-tighten all the nuts & bolts and then ride it like ya stole it and ya don't care who has it after ya. :P (That's what my dealer told me)

With the new herzog Kraut CNC tower, tranny and FD gears you'll get on yer new rig, ya won't have to worry so much "bedding" of the gears like ya had to with the old Rooskie ones. 8)

If ya got any boogers in the bike, you're most likely to find them in the first 500km

Check out this link on RE break-in that BillyG has on his site: http://www.cybersteering.com/cruise/fea ... nning.html
John Grocke aka "JohnBG"

Current Rides:

History:
1980 Suzuki RM125T
1970 Honda CL100

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary

Post by JohnBG » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:58 pm

Spicy McHaggis wrote:Wow...I guess I should have expected such varied replies.

So far, I've got (not all from this site)...that I should go ahead and do it - you'll have no problems to NO don't do it cuz you'll need about 10k on the ticker before you'll be comfy.

Well, I don't have the luxury of doing 10k. Heck it'll be almost impossible for me to break 5k in a year. I've got 140 miles of roads to drive on, without leaving on a ferry.

So, I'll be doing the "unsmart" thing, as greenmachine mentioned. But I've modified my trip a bit, cut down the mileage quite a bit, but will still have a good time.

I'll be farting around with the family in Skagway for a day or so (no more than 100 miles, most likely). Then off to Dawson, giving myself 2 full days to do the 400 miles. Then I'll give myself 4 days to get back from Dawson to Haines, and catch the ferry, for a grand total of about 1100 miles spread out over about 8-9 days. If I can't handle that...well, then I'll think about getting my nuts cut off. :lol:

I'm not confident enough in the moto to do the entire 2400 mile trip solo. Not yet. And I don't know what my confidence will be in the driving aspect, since I don't have the moto yet. But I'll do what riding I can while in Oregon to pick it up, and once the roads (SALT) here in Juneau are sufficiently w@$#ed off from Mother Nature, I'll ride the hell out of it until the June trip.

Andy
Don't be a wuss. Break that thing in for 500km and then go for it! It'll be fine. Ride he dog-squeeze outta that sucker!

A lotta folks are still in the old 650cc engine mindset of having to break it in for 10,000km. That's beacasue the Russian gears look like they were cut with a medium-sharp rock and had to run in for a while to get all the burrs offa them, not to mention the mediocre Russian bearings.

The new bikes come with CNC milled Kraut gears, Denso alternators, Jap carbs, Euro bearings, Italian brakes, American wiring harnesses, better quality fasteners and electrical components.

Go to your dealer and have him shoy ya the Herzog gears versus the old Russian ones, same with the bearings, alternators, etc.. You'll see what I mean real fast.

No need for that long break-in anymore. If anything major is gonna screw up, it will happen in the first 500km more than likely.

Ride that sucker. I wish I was riding with ya up there.
John Grocke aka "JohnBG"

Current Rides:

History:
1980 Suzuki RM125T
1970 Honda CL100

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:18 pm

Spicy McHaggis wrote:Wow...I guess I should have expected such varied replies.

Andy
Well Spicy, keep us informed as to how everything went... I'm planning a similar tour towards the end of June... Pick up the bike in Washington... putz around for three days to (hopefully) get the bugs worked out... then head for Denver... via Sandpoint, ID and SLC...
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

wyowillys46
Comrade General
Comrade General

Re: trip on new bike

Post by wyowillys46 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:48 pm

JohnBG wrote: Sorry Huey I gotta disagree...

IMO that slow break thing in is :bs: for the newer bikes (It was the par for the old 650 mostly Russian bikes)

For the first 500km, keep it under 50 mph (don't lug it) with plenty of heat/cool cycles, and then change the oils, adjust the valve clearance (while cold), re-tighten all the nuts & bolts and then ride it like ya stole it and ya don't care who has it after ya. :P (That's what my dealer told me)

With the new herzog Kraut CNC tower, tranny and FD gears you'll get on yer new rig, ya won't have to worry so much "bedding" of the gears like ya had to with the old Rooskie ones. 8)

I'll take baloney for $500 Alex. From the 2007 Tourist, Patrol, Gear-Up, Owners manual page 32.

"The running in period for the motorcycle is the first 1500 km."

Yes, most bugs will work themselves out in the first 500 km. Yes, things are different now that the bikes come with new Herzog gears. However, don't fool yourself that it's done breaking in. Most new cars (which are built to a higher standard than Urals) require 500-600 miles during their break-in period. Don't give your dealer a reason to deny warranty coverage (which I don't think would really happen) because you neglected to follow the written directions in the owners manual. There is good advice on this board, but I would suggest not disregarding the official break-in instructions.

I think you mentioned over on ADV that you were going to be doing 45- 50 MPH average. That shouldn't be a problem at all.
Morgan

'06 Gear-Up
195? M72/K750 hybrid