Attention Newly Registered Members!

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
XSJ

Re: Attention Newly Registered Members!

Post by XSJ » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:49 pm

Hi folks, John here from Chicago. I usually ride a 2002 BMW R1150 GS Adventure but am considering a Ural purchase sometime early in 2020. I have a couple of young boys at home, and we want to get out on a bike and do some camping together in Michigan and Wisconsin. [Also, I'm tired of pretending that my BMW GS can genuinely "do anything/go anywhere." I participated in the GS Trophy Qualifier a couple of years ago and got my a$$ handed to me!

I'm thinking of a 2019 or 2020 Gear Up. Color and farkles to be determined. Of course, I'd love to go with the whole "overland" set-up, but I'm sure I'll price myself out of that bike pretty quickly. Interested in your opinions on what's essential to get from the dealer. Right now I'm thinking about the undercoating, powdered coated engine, and maybe LED lighting. I'm 50/50 on the spotlight and windscreens, etc.

I do *need* a winch, of course. Though wonder about the best placement for it. Doesn't make sense only to have it on the nose of the tub, right?
Also, I would love to add a 2m/440 ham radio with mag mount to the rig someday.

Safe riding!
John
2002 BMW R1150 GS Adventure
1980 BMW R100 RT [sold]
Chicago, IL

Lofty
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by Lofty » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:11 pm

XSJ wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:49 pm
Hi folks, John here from Chicago. I usually ride a 2002 BMW R1150 GS Adventure but am considering a Ural purchase sometime early in 2020.
Hello, John from Chicago. Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

I'd suggest posting your questions in this subforum:
viewforum.php?f=12
That's the appropriate place. Your Qs will reach a broader audience, and a larger variety of answers will be provided.

Safe riding.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

Penrod

Post by Penrod » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:10 pm

XSJ wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:49 pm
Hi folks, John here from Chicago.

I do *need* a winch, of course. Though wonder about the best placement for it. Doesn't make sense only to have it on the nose of the tub, right?

Safe riding!
John
Kalaber Creations makes a winch and mount system that can be switched from front to back. They post often on the Soviet Steeds Facebook page
2015 cT Special Edition Dark Force
Live in Maine. Retired.

XSJ

Post by XSJ » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:37 pm

Thanks, guys. I'll take a look.
2002 BMW R1150 GS Adventure
1980 BMW R100 RT [sold]
Chicago, IL

Dante41

Post by Dante41 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:25 am

Howdy Y'alll!

I've been casually interested in Urals for years, but I never really had the ability or the funds to get into them. Now, I have both. I got off my a$$ and learned to ride specifically because of the classic BMW airhead twins, and the Ural has really ignited my interest because they're essentially modern builds of the old BMW bikes. Hopefully I'll have one within the next two months!
Ain't nothin' here...yet

jvan1954

Post by jvan1954 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:09 pm

Mr Krummel, as a recent convert (1 n 1/2 years but already over 10,000K ) I can vouch that these things for sure have personality. But if you don't mind keeping up with the maintanance they are cooler than the other side of the pillow
there is no problem so complex, nor situation so dire, that its solution can not be found in the skillful application of high explosives.
Ride a 2013 ural tourist

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:37 pm

Dante41 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:25 am
...and the Ural has really ignited my interest because they're essentially modern builds of the old BMW bikes.
I came from an airhead background... still have a ‘73 1/2 R75/5 in my garage... so I see where yer coming from... however...

...my Ural is a current build of the old BMW bikes... there’s very little modern about it... roller crank, low-pressure oil system (with oil slingers!), straight cut gears, 300 mile service intervals...the list goes on...

Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love my ‘07 Arctic... before the Ural, I never had a bike that brought a smile to my face each and every time I rode it... 12 years later and I’m still grinning under my helmet...

Not trying to dissuade you from a Ural purchase... (and I have zero experience with the new rigs...) just trying to help you make an informed decision...
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

Dante41

Post by Dante41 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:47 am

S 854 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:37 pm
Dante41 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:25 am
...and the Ural has really ignited my interest because they're essentially modern builds of the old BMW bikes.
...my Ural is a current build of the old BMW bikes... there’s very little modern about it... roller crank, low-pressure oil system (with oil slingers!), straight cut gears, 300 mile service intervals...the list goes on...
Yeah, that's what I meant haha

"Modern" as in "built in the 21st century on essentially the same design", not "updated to 21st century tech"! I've got a real big thing for old designs that persevered for a long time without any major updates.
Ain't nothin' here...yet