Is it possible to have a GREAT weekend w/o my rig... YES!

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
agirlandhersidecar
Comrade
Comrade

Is it possible to have a GREAT weekend w/o my rig... YES!

Post by agirlandhersidecar » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:53 pm

What a weekend! This past weekend I tagged along (as always) with my dad to pick up a delivery in Nashville. He asked me if I wanted to stop by NASHVILLE MOTORCYCLE REPAIR with the warning that the shop isn’t open on the weekends. Of course I'm gonna say YES. Neither of us have been to Andrews shop, and the chances of someone being there was very slim. And as it turns out, we were correct. The shop was closed and no one was there.

We did our best to take some pictures of the NEW and OLD bikes through the window. It was such a sunny day that the glare made it difficult to get any good shots. Nonetheless, we had a good time ogling all the new and vintage bikes from the window. After about 15-10 mins it was time to head back home.

AND THEN…

Just as we turned from the garage bay window to head back to the truck, someone on a motorcycle pulled up. I felt for sure that someone had called about us wandering around and we were about to get in trouble. The rider gets off, takes off his helmet, and lo and behold it's Mr ANDREW!!! I still thought we were in trouble. Dad explained we came by to get a glimpse of his shop even knowing it was closed. Andrew told us he had just stopped by to pick something up real quick.

AND THEN…

Andrew proceeds to open the door and invites us in. BOY, what a treat!!! He took us on a tour of his shop and talked for close to an hour. Showed us this model and that model. Gave advice to dad about my rig. And even had some tubing/hoses we were looking for. He let me sit on the GREEN TANAGER!!! Side note — it’s my new favorite Ural. Love the COLORS. He introduced me to who is sure to become a favorite of mine, Elspeth Beard and her Lone Rider book. She's the Itchy Boots (look her up YouTube) of her day or dad says the female Hubert from thetimelessride.com. I can’t wait to travel the world like she did!! I thought dad was gonna buy me the book… but Andrew gave it to me as a GIFT! Got some stickers for my welding helmet (yup I'm taking welding at high school). And Andrew showed us pics from his ride through Mexico.

One of the coolest things was talking to Andrew about all the people we both know… Mr Mike in Waynesboro, TN, Mr Gene in Holopaw FL, and Mr Terry in Michigan. It's pretty cool that most in the Ural community know or know of each other.

I'm telling ya, it was an awesome day. And if we would have left one minute earlier, or dad hadn’t taken the wrong turn (we were singing to the radio and weren’t paying attention) it might never have happened. If we didn’t have to get back home I'm sure we would have stayed another hr.

I highly recommend stopping by Mr Andrews shop if you’re ever in Music City Nashville. He has one of the biggest assortment of new Rigs i've ever seen if you're in the market for one… that’s right, I'm putting a plug in for him… I mean REALLY it was an awesome weekend… he deserves the shout out!!!

Trying to upload as many pics as I can. Even the terrible ones we took through the window.. HA HA.

One of these days I’ll give an update on Big Red… basically, she’s at the “doctors” AGAIN!

Safe riding fellas!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1997 Ural (somewhat road worthy) :roll:
West Tennessee
Instagram: @agirlandhersidecar

agirlandhersidecar
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Is it possible to have a GREAT weekend w/o my rig... YES!

Post by agirlandhersidecar » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:55 pm

MORE PICS!!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1997 Ural (somewhat road worthy) :roll:
West Tennessee
Instagram: @agirlandhersidecar

Desantnik-VDV
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:23 pm

Cool pictures, especially the ones with Andew and seating on a brand new, shiny Ural. Gorgeous! :)

That old 98 or 99 Deco Classic still looks pleasantly nostalgic. I had one in similar color scheme.
Alex
2007 GearUp - '007's БМД
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The rest is just history... 4 previous Urals with telescopic front ends, BMW airheads, bigger Hondas, bigger sidecars...

aduthie
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by aduthie » Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:21 pm

Hey, it was really great to meet you and your dad in person! Definitely lucky timing.

If Big Red needs a second opinion, you know where to find me! But hopefully you'll be back up and riding soon without an extra trip to Nashville.

Alex, the Deco Classic is a 99 I think -- it's the one owned by nashopolis that first exposed me to Urals and sidecars, back around 2001 or 2002 when he bought it used from Wagner's Cycles in Arkansas. I fixed the oiled clutch and rear main seal leak on it at my house last winter, and it's landed here at the shop until he regains some storage space for it. I probably need to clean the carbs again... :roll:
Andrew Duthie / Nashville Motorcycle Repair / Ural and Vintage Sales & Repair

Tarka
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Location: North West England. The Wirral peninsula. So posh the graffiti has got punctuation.

Post by Tarka » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:06 am

Wow, what an awesome experience you had!

Thanks very much for sharing it with us, and your photos are superb.

Enjoy the book!
Achieving distance by letting the World turn beneath me.

650 Ural Roustabout combo yr 2000 (with Dnepr leading link front end)
750 Ural Dalesman combo yr 2004 (rare maroon/cream with blingola chrome)
750 Ural Voyage solo yr 2003 (believed to be one of only 2 in the UK)
150 Vyatka V150M scooter yr 1974

Rover
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Rover » Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:15 pm

There are a lot of bikes in that place! I think community is part of what makes Urals so attractive. Folks like Andrew who contribute so much to this forum are a huge part of that.

I guess it takes like minded people to fall in love with these quirky machines. For some it is a labor of love and for others it is just love. After all who else but a crazy URAL lover would come up with the color scheme of the green tanager? I wish Nashville were just a bit closer!

phughes
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by phughes » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:10 pm

Sounds like a great trip. Glad you got to meet Andrew! Good to see your post, and hope Big Red is up and running well again soon!
Phil

-------------------------------------------
2014 Gear Up
2009 Kawasaki Concours
Schwinn 24 inch Unicycle :mrgreen:

Kilometers2
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Kilometers2 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:56 am

What a great "trip" report. I love that you were able to spend time with Andrew and see his shop. It's an amazing place and Andrew is wonderful. With posts like this, I can't wait till you are out on the road on your rig. You are a natural Ural ambassador and I know we all wish you much success!
Miles

2017 GU Sahara

Previously 2007 GU, 2014 Patrol, and 2016 GU

Snakeoil
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Snakeoil » Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:35 pm

Excellent report. Nice to see Andrew's shop. He's been very helpful here and generous with his time. So, I'm glad to see his shop get a little more exposure.

Hey Andrew, dontcha just hate it when young girls call you MISTER Andrew?? Makes you feel like an old phardt, doesn't it? :lol:
Regards,
Rob
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains\
Those who beat their swords into plowshares, normally end up plowing for those who didn't.

aduthie
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by aduthie » Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:13 pm

That's just a Southern thing, MISTER Upstate New York. ;-)
Andrew Duthie / Nashville Motorcycle Repair / Ural and Vintage Sales & Repair

Snakeoil
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Snakeoil » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:56 pm

:cheers:
Regards,
Rob
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains\
Those who beat their swords into plowshares, normally end up plowing for those who didn't.

VWK75S
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by VWK75S » Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:50 am

Great ride up :roll:
John
The Ural's made Maine a much bigger state.

2010 ST 10,000kms
2009 GearUp 165,000kms
2007 Retro 25,000kms
1991 VWK75S 110,000miles