972 Breakdowns - The Movie

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Canadian FJR
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

972 Breakdowns - The Movie

Post by Canadian FJR » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:06 am

I received an offer to buy/watch it. After watching the short You-tube clips it looks pretty neat.
Have any of you folks watched the whole thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2GpmN4 ... otorcycles

Canadian FJR
2010 Gear Up

rougaroo
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: 972 Breakdowns - The Movie

Post by rougaroo » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:42 pm

Yep - I think it is well worth it. Cinematography is great. The drone views are spectacular. Hard to believe they did what they did and never quit.

After watching this, none of us have anything to complain about at all if you ever have any problems with your Ural. Wish I had copied down all the numbers the voice-over lists right at the start. I'm making up these numbers but they are relatively close: "972 breakdowns, 12 engines, 26 final drives, 18 gearboxes, 32 clutch jobs, 164 pounds of chocolate...."

Throughout the old Soviet Union, through Georgia, the 'Stans, Mongolia, and Siberia they find pretty much unlimited Ural parts. But we aren't talking Gene and Terry and Heindl here, we're talking about farmer's market-style junk meets with everything and anything you can think of, all used or salvaged. There are small mountains of old junked Urals They also are lucky enough to run into lots of shade tree Ivans who know how to fix or improvise anything on a Ural. In Mongolia the roads are so bad that almost every tent has a welding machine behind it and someone who knows how to operate it.

My only criticism is that the trip essentially ends in Alaska, even though there are shots of them entering NYC. In the Q&A at the end, done for the film festival, Effy explains that they had a choice: they could either make the movie 4 hours long, shorten the story incidents considerably, or make the film they did. She said they essentially have enough footage to make a whole other movie about North America.

Ilya and IMZ get a credit at the end as does Van Le. They thank everyone who helped them out by location/breakdown in the film, including "Ural Shaman #1" and "Ural Shaman #2".

It's a good watch, but it sure didn't make me want to put it on my bucket list. For those with a good audio system, listen and watch for the flies in Siberia. Worse than the black flies in Maine and Minnesota!

Rougaroo
2003 Tourist - lotsa upgrades
2004 Troyka - work in progress

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:31 pm

I’ve been to their website and I looked at the links posted here. I’ve never seen a video that’s more than two plus minutes. I’m sure they did a full length feature, but where is that located?
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
110,000 km and counting

Canadian FJR
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Canadian FJR » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:53 pm

I just realized that I can’t view it.
US only 😒

Canadian FJR
2010 Gear Up

rougaroo

Post by rougaroo » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:58 pm

https://www.bigskyfilmfest.org/festival ... _new_york/

then click on "Watch on Eventive". It is $10 for the film and the Q&A afterwards.

It is showing on the Big Sky FIlm Festival, this year a streaming festival. It is only available from 2/23-2/26 to stream.

Rougaroo
2003 Tourist - lotsa upgrades
2004 Troyka - work in progress

siberman1

Post by siberman1 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:05 pm

rougaroo wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:42 pm
Yep - I think it is well worth it. Cinematography is great. The drone views are spectacular. Hard to believe they did what they did and never quit.

,,,snip....
Throughout the old Soviet Union, through Georgia, the 'Stans, Mongolia, and Siberia they find pretty much unlimited Ural parts. But we aren't talking Gene and Terry and Heindl here, we're talking about farmer's market-style junk meets with everything and anything you can think of, all used or salvaged. There are small mountains of old junked Urals They also are lucky enough to run into lots of shade tree Ivans who know how to fix or improvise anything on a Ural. In Mongolia the roads are so bad that almost every tent has a welding machine behind it and someone who knows how to operate it.

...snip....

It's a good watch, but it sure didn't make me want to put it on my bucket list. For those with a good audio system, listen and watch for the flies in Siberia. Worse than the black flies in Maine and Minnesota!

Rougaroo
I have seen and been in the piles of old Ural parts, other motorcycles, and so on. Some of the stuff is unbelievable. If I had an "older drum brake " Ural or bottlecap brakes, I know I could find 100's of parts and solutions here and there all over ex-Soviet Union.

I did solo motorcycle journey around the world a few years ago. One land part was Amsterdam to Vladivostok. Of course, the biggest "land-part" was all of Russia (About 14,500 miles). There are forest and dirt hunting roads here in ID mountains that are better than the Trans-Siberian Highway! Not kidding about mosquitoes and flies in Siberia.

For some reason I wore out my rear brake pads on MC. Local Mogocha fellow pried old brake shoes off an ancient tractor and cut, beat, pounded them on my metal brake pad "holders". OSHA approved of course. Then wrapped copper wire around the whole mess and jammed it in the brake caliper. It squeeked for a while, then settled in. Those "brake pads" lasted from Mogocha to Vladivostok! (1430 miles//2300 KM) I also had a few other "Part Substitutions" along the way.

I also became an "honorary member" of about 8 MC clubs all across Russia Federation. "Russian Samurai" are in Vladivostok (patch photo). I'd like to do the journey again, maybe a little more comfortable. Those TV ads with double-football-length luxury boats cruising around and saying this is "How to Feel a Country, Meet People, etc, blah,blah,blah" I think area total insult to REAL local folks. JMO. (More of "The Ugly American")

I am not a spring chicken, more like a winter pine tree, with a lot of perseverance. I just set out to do it, my journey of a lifetime. I had a card: "Not everyone will understand your journey. That's fine. It is not their journey to make sense of. It is yours".
"Не все поймут вашу поездку. Хорошо. Это не их путешествие, чтобы понять. Это ваше"
Most just wish, dream, and stay on sofa. Not me.

A few photos...

YMMV
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

Canadian FJR
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Canadian FJR » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:58 pm

Great read,
Thanks
2010 Gear Up

bobmanz

Post by bobmanz » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:03 pm

This group stopped at Bob's BMW just south of Baltimore, on their way to NYC several years back, and gave a slide show of their trip to date...was very cool, inspiring, but also something quite incredible considering the dilapidated bikes they were running...however, my 2017 Gear Up I'm pretty sure is fast on it's way to 972 Breakdowns, and therefore will be up for sale soon.
Current Rides:
2017 Gear Up
2013 R1200GS Adv
Previous Rides:
2006 FJR1300
2000 CBR600F4
1975 CB360T

cookiemech
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by cookiemech » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:52 pm

bobmanz wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:03 pm
...however, my 2017 Gear Up I'm pretty sure is fast on it's way to 972 Breakdowns, and therefore will be up for sale soon.
Sorry to hear that about such a late-model machine. Maybe consider posting its issues in the Wrenching section? Or have you already made up your mind about getting rid of it?
1982 BMW R100T
1994 BMW K75RT
1995 BMW K75/3
2009 Kawasaki KLR 650
2015 BMW R1200RT
2017 Harley-Davidson Road King
2017 Honda CB1100EX
2020 Ural Gear Up

bobmanz

Post by bobmanz » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:53 pm

I bought it new from NE Ural for over $20k, and began having problems pretty much from day one. Nothing major, but then again not things you'd expect from a brand new bike. Then after riding it very sparingly through a couple Mid-Atlantic winters, despite routinely hosing off road salt, pretty much any raw metal surface, fastener, spokes, and the dealer installed "powder coated" two-into-one high mount exhaust pipe looks like it's been sitting in a barn for 20 years. Low fuel sensor crapped out with less than 2k on the dial, parking brake cable snapped one day, water leaks into everything including lenses, and I'm just expecting more things to fall apart or eventually look like crap on this bike (it only has a little over 4k). I know, it's a Ural, not a BMW, but maybe instead of Ural coming up with cute color schemes and drones, they could instead focus on building a quality bike. As much fun as I've had on the bike, I'll be very happy to get ride of it.
Current Rides:
2017 Gear Up
2013 R1200GS Adv
Previous Rides:
2006 FJR1300
2000 CBR600F4
1975 CB360T

Pilot5892

Post by Pilot5892 » Thu May 06, 2021 2:21 am

Anyone know where we can pay to watch this now?

Looks like the film festival took down the offer to stream.

-Pilot

aduthie

Post by aduthie » Thu May 06, 2021 9:11 am

They’re selling a DVD now, but only inside Germany. Might be a few more weeks or months, I guess.
Andrew Duthie / Nashville Motorcycle Repair / Nashville, TN

Canadian FJR
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Canadian FJR » Thu May 06, 2021 9:34 am

I have been emailing them and they are looking at DVD shipping costs to North America.

I suspect the shipping will end up to be more than the DVD
There must be some way to pay to steam ??

Canadian FJR
2010 Gear Up

windmill

Post by windmill » Thu May 06, 2021 10:47 am

bobmanz wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:53 pm
I bought it new from NE Ural for over $20k, and began having problems pretty much from day one. Nothing major, but then again not things you'd expect from a brand new bike. Then after riding it very sparingly through a couple Mid-Atlantic winters, despite routinely hosing off road salt, pretty much any raw metal surface, fastener, spokes, and the dealer installed "powder coated" two-into-one high mount exhaust pipe looks like it's been sitting in a barn for 20 years. Low fuel sensor crapped out with less than 2k on the dial, parking brake cable snapped one day, water leaks into everything including lenses, and I'm just expecting more things to fall apart or eventually look like crap on this bike (it only has a little over 4k). I know, it's a Ural, not a BMW, but maybe instead of Ural coming up with cute color schemes and drones, they could instead focus on building a quality bike. As much fun as I've had on the bike, I'll be very happy to get ride of it.
You haven't gotten the memo? They have addressed those issues and a lot more.

What do you think Ural should do about the discontinued aftermarket exhaust they had nothing to do with?

They do now offer an all stainless GRP exhaust.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

:FI:Igor

Post by :FI:Igor » Sun May 09, 2021 8:38 am

Has anyone figured out how to get a DVD of 972 Breakdowns?
2015 Ural Patrol (Светлана)
2006 HD Low Rider (sold)
2013 Ural Patrol 'Ursula' (2015 Totaled!)