Thicker Inner Tubes

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.

Thicker Inner Tubes

Postby reimerdavid » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:52 am

I have noticed that many recommend replacing stock factory inner tubes with thicker ones. I have 4.00 X 19" wheels and would like feedback with specifics about brands and sources to purchase the thicker units.

Thanks Dave
reimerdavid
Party Member
Party Member

Postby S 854 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:06 am

Not so much to do with "thinner vs thicker", but I replaced my Rooskie tubes with a medium weight dirt bike tube, no problems so far.

Something else to consider, "natural vs synthetic" tubes. Synthetic won't loose air anywhere near as fast as natural rubber tubes - drawbacks? First off, ya might get into the habit of NOT checking your tire pressure frequently (bad bad bad), second, if'n ya pick up a nail, the synthetic tube would more likely puncture/tear causing a rapid deflation (also bad).

Natural tubes leak air "naturally" (maybe that's why they're called "natural rubber"? :oops: ) This is the tube I chose, I check my tires every week, and usually top 'em off. If we're on a multi-day ride, I check 'em every morning. Back to the nail scenario... if ya pick up a nail with a natural tube, yer tire's still gonna go flat, but at a much slower rate (minutes rather than seconds to deflate entirely) and if you're payin' attention, you'll have time to get off the road before the wobblies set in.
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Oh, yesterdays are over my shoulder,
So I can't look back for too long.
There's just too much to see waiting in front of me,
And I know that I just can't go wrong... Jimmy Buffett
S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Postby heindlengineeringural » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:12 am

We stock an Ultra Heavy Duty dirt bike inner tube to use in the Ural. Works wonders.
Heindl Engineering, LLC
Ural Dealer in Southwest Ohio
(937) 787-3686
www.heindlengineering.com
sales@heindlengineering.com
heindlengineeringural
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby BOUNTY HUNTER » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:13 pm

IRC or Moose Off-Road tubes will do. Previous poster has them. You won't regret it!
1997 KLR650
"A book is like a mirror; if an azz peers into it, you can't expect an apostle to look out."
— G.C. Lichtenberg
BOUNTY HUNTER
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

tubes

Postby edthetermite » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:18 am

the IRC heavy duty tubes are THICK and substantial. No more flats to date. But I haven't wore thru ALL the cords yet. :^ )
Ed

"War Is A Dick Thing, Peace Is A Heart Thing"
edthetermite
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

size?

Postby the toad » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:51 pm

When ordering new tubes...

Heavy Duty Natural Rubber (of course)

Should a person.. (thats me).. choose 110/90-19 or 100/90/19.. seeing as 4.00 x 19 isnt a choice ??

forget it... search worked foe me :D

http://sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopi ... +stem+size
-Brian
MondoMotos - Motorcycle Accessories

3 wheels
04 - Gear-Up
01 - BC75 (sold)
Ride Reports
To Tawas and Back

2 wheels
08 - BeeStrom
06 - DRZ400