Key Blanks

Are you new to Urals & Dneprs, or thinking about getting one, and have questions? Ask your newbie questions here.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are new owners or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before.

Key Blanks

Postby ejmorgan » Fri May 09, 2008 2:01 am

Anyone know a good source for key blanks. I cannot find the ILCO 1526R key blank listed in the resource list. The X258 does not appear to be the correct key, from the pictures I see on the internet sites. I have heard a B1 can be filed to fit. I would assume a key blank could be found somewhere; however, after visiting 2 lock smiths, I am not sure where it might be. Anyone ever find one?
Ed Morgan
2010 Ural T
Windmill II Air Box
30/42 Jetting
Headlight Mirrors
Tank cover
One piece headers
ModTop mufflers
Tank Shifter
ejmorgan
Party Member
Party Member

Postby Ragman » Fri May 09, 2008 2:27 am

What are the key blanks you require for - I am not familiar with the designations you mention.
Милаж
I'm kind of broken now.
2012 Can Am Spyder - Bright Red
Gone Now:
2011 Урал 'Готовьтесь' - лес Камуфляж
2010 but New Yamaha TW 200
2005 Урал Турист- Black - converted to 2wd . missed very much. * 2002 Yamaha TW 200 - 1999 Royal Enfield Bullet - . * many others lost in the fog of time.
Ragman
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby BillyG » Fri May 09, 2008 5:27 am

If it is for a Ural...a KA15 will work, it is for a Kawasaki.
Bill Glaser
2002 Ural Patrol "CYKA"
300,000 km's since May 1st 2002
The "Unofficial Ural Service Manual" can be viewed at: http://www.myural.com
BillyG
Thread Killer
Thread Killer

Postby Blue Ridge Wheeltor » Fri May 09, 2008 10:00 am

I went to the oldest locksmith in the area, established in 1896. The locksmith that waited on me I think keyed locks for Christopher Columbus. I gave him my key and showed him the codes
ILCO # x106/ka 15, and B&S B1. he couldn't get anything to work.
Can't a dealer or IMWA get some key blanks? :(
95% of all Urals built in the last ten years are still on the road....The other 5% made it home.
Blue Ridge Wheeltor
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby Hotair » Fri May 09, 2008 10:23 am

Just had mine made, Ilco B1 1098M fits my GU.
Hotair
Comrade
Comrade

Postby ejmorgan » Fri May 09, 2008 11:27 am

The key is for my 07 Tourist. I wanted to use a custom key head, and needed a key blank as I do not want to distroy my original keys. Interestingly enough, xreference lists 1526R and the X258 as replacement key blanks for the Ural. I contacted Ilco, and they state the 1526R is not a valid key code. The X258 is the wrong key to fit the bike. I wonder if the ignition lock has changed over the years, and X258 fit the older bike locks? Regardless, it does not fit. I went to a lock smith, and tried a B1. It also did not fit. I was able to get it to go into the cylinder by filing it; however, I had to remove so much material, that the key actually split. I'll give the Kawasiki key a try. I also contacted my dealer. He states the key provided are specific to the Ural, and are "unusual", and appearently not reproduced in the United States. Obviously, someone makes the ignition lock and key, and supplies Ural; however, no one seems to know who, or how key blanks might be ordered? If anyone has other ideas, please let me know. Thanks. :)
Ed Morgan
2010 Ural T
Windmill II Air Box
30/42 Jetting
Headlight Mirrors
Tank cover
One piece headers
ModTop mufflers
Tank Shifter
ejmorgan
Party Member
Party Member

Postby ejmorgan » Fri May 09, 2008 11:44 am

FYI, the KA15 is also the wrong key. Makes me wonder if the new bikes have a different lock? The KA15 is far too long, and only has one slot. Mine has 2 slots on each side, and is quite short, very similar to the B1. The B1 slots are narrower than the Ural key, thus the need to file it to get it to fit. The problem with filing it is you end up removing so much material, it weakens the overall key, which is what caused the key I tried to split. Thanks.
Ed Morgan
2010 Ural T
Windmill II Air Box
30/42 Jetting
Headlight Mirrors
Tank cover
One piece headers
ModTop mufflers
Tank Shifter
ejmorgan
Party Member
Party Member

Postby IRON NUTZ » Fri May 09, 2008 12:46 pm

BillyG wrote:If it is for a Ural...a KA15 will work, it is for a Kawasaki.
thats what holopaw gene sent me for my 00 BC, the KA-15 key.although he asked me if it had a high right or left side,single or double cut, .he sent both blanks,one worked (high right)after having a locksmith cut to match the only one key that came with the bike ,and the dealer i got it from didnt have blanks ,now i have back up that i carry in my wallet even though i never lost any key ever in 38 years of driving anything btw
EVERY THING OLD IS NEW AGAIN,OR IS IT
EVERYTHING NEW IS OLD AGAIN,I GUESS ON URALS ITS BOTH
2000 bavarian classic w/sc
IRON NUTZ
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Hoot Owl Pete » Fri May 09, 2008 1:53 pm

Now you've done it. You just put the curse of Murphy on ya! Murphy's Law!

Ha Ha Good on ya Iron Nutz.I wish I could say the same. You don't want to know where I lost a whole set of keys on my key chain.

Hoot Owl Pete
Stalin: Not One Step Back!
2010 Patrol T Soviet Olive Drab
Hoot Owl Pete
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby catfish » Fri May 09, 2008 5:26 pm

I know that they have changed the keys a few times so different years are different keys but Flica at Wagners cycle usually has them cross referenced and stocks extra blank keys for most years.Gene at Holopaw usually has a good stock of parts and such .

CATFISH
catfish
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby QBall » Fri May 09, 2008 5:35 pm

I just use my buddies key, or I use his rig when hes not looking. He loves that :)
QBall
2007 Gear Up - Yertle
2000 Triumph TBird

CURD Ambassador to Connecticut
QBall
Commissar
Commissar

Postby ejmorgan » Fri May 09, 2008 5:42 pm

Nope; I contacted Wagners, and they do nto keep key blanks. They stated that the folks producing the bike have not made key blanks available. She also indicated that the key and ignition are from Taiwan. Running out of options here. Not sure where to look next.
Ed Morgan
2010 Ural T
Windmill II Air Box
30/42 Jetting
Headlight Mirrors
Tank cover
One piece headers
ModTop mufflers
Tank Shifter
ejmorgan
Party Member
Party Member

Postby catfish » Fri May 09, 2008 5:50 pm

Wow that's serious stuff.I would have bet on Flica from Wagners having the situation under control.I guess the new ignitions are a bigger problem than I expected.Okay how about an e mail directly to IMZ in Washington and tell them you are in trouble and only have one key.They have to have an answer,at least they better have an answer or they better change suppliers for their ignition switches.

CATFISH
catfish
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby uraldog » Fri May 09, 2008 9:17 pm

You should have got 2 ignition keys 2 gas cap keys and if its a Retro 2 tool box keys---and a B-1 key blank cut properly works in the Retro ignition with NO problems
uraldog
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby ejmorgan » Sat May 10, 2008 1:27 am

Indeed I have two keys; however, as I will need to distroy the head of one in order to apply the custom head to the key, I prefer to have a new blank made. Additionally, the key we are provided have a plastic overlay on the head, making it more difficult to customize. A B1 may work in the retro; however, it did not work in my 07 tourist. The B1 slot is too narrow, and must be expanded to allow the key to enter the lock. Unfortunately, once the material was removed, the key split as there was not enough surface material left to support the stress of turning the key in the lock. To further muddy the water, appearently Ural has changed the locks on their motorcycles several time in the past; consequently, key blanks that worked a couple of years ago are no longer applicable. Research so far has indicated the key and lock are produced in Taiwan. I am trying to talk to IMZ concerning who the supplier is, as foreign keys are ofter not generally mass produced in the US. Thanks for the input.
Ed Morgan
2010 Ural T
Windmill II Air Box
30/42 Jetting
Headlight Mirrors
Tank cover
One piece headers
ModTop mufflers
Tank Shifter
ejmorgan
Party Member
Party Member