CrockPot carb cleaning

Are ya having a problem with your rig? We'll try to help. Share your tech tips and experiences here. Dr. Billy Glaser, author of the "Unofficial 750 Ural Service Manual" site myural.com, is moderating this section.
Forum rules
Here is the place for you to ask questions about or share your experiences about servicing or repairing your Ural or Dnepr. Please post topics concering modifications or accesories in the "Modifications and Acessories" section. Please post oil related questions in the "Oil Threads" section.
Kymasabe
Comrade
Comrade

CrockPot carb cleaning

Postby Kymasabe » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:22 am

It's a little out of the box, but works great.
I bought a 3 quart CrockPot from K-Mart for around $12.00 and bought a 1-gallon can of carb cleaner from the local auto parts store. I poured 1/2 gallon carb cleaner into the CrockPot, set it to "low" and soaked my totally clogged up petcock in it for an hour or so. Petcock and fluid was hot, but petcock was still clogged. Dropped it back in the pot, turned it up to "high" and accidently forgot about it. 4 hours later, my daughter told me something was boiling in the garage. Unplugged the CrockPot, removed the petcock, totally absolutely clean, melted out all the crap that was solidified inside it.
God's creatures big and small, eat them one, eat them all !!
'92 Cossack Voshkod 3-M 175
'94 Yamaha Virago 535
'81 Suzuki GN400

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: CrockPot carb cleaning

Postby gobium » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:52 am

:thumbsup:
Good luck, ride safe.
Good bye all
made some great friends here
but met few a$$holes too many.

rebelrider
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby rebelrider » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:28 pm

I did something similar with an old deep-fryer and some Pine Sol:

Mike
Image2014 Ural M70 "Trogdor"
1987 Honda CMX250C "Rebel"
1979 Puch Moped "Wasp"
1971 Honda SL100

BinDerSmokDat
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Postby BinDerSmokDat » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:46 am

Did the PineSol and crab pot thing with the FD.
Heated 1 part water and dumped in 2 parts PineSol
Worked well, did not discolor the aluminum.
It did flash rust the internal steel parts, like hubs and spacers, so the tip there is to rinse them under cold water and hit with WD-40 immediately.
Some folks have boiled the pot or put it on a burner to get it hot/maintain temp but I didn't find that to be necessary.

pigdog
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby pigdog » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:02 pm

I can't recommend heating car cleaner like that, unless you are on good terms with your local fire department. Just not a good idea.

I find that putting your carb in the metal container it came in, putting it in the back of your truck and driving around with it for twenty minutes or so does a good job. Just like an ultrasonic cleaner.
'00 Ural BC 650 "Strekoza" Gone but not forgotten.
'11 Ural Patrol T
'04 Silverado 2500HD "Old Shaky"
'97 Honda Foreman 400

"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - R. Feynman

Dat Yooper
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby Dat Yooper » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:22 pm

Being on our local Vol. Fire Dept., I had the hair standing on end when I 1st read this thread!!!!
The Pinesol (Id use Dawn Dish Soap Or any other heavy degreaser) method is the way to go!!
Boiling Oil or Solvents WILL SELF IGNITE !!!!!

But we only have 3 causes for fires in our township........MEN...WOMEN....AND CHILDREN!!
Rusty Iron Junkie from Central Wisconsin!! Old: Trucks, Farm Tractors, Motorcycles, Snowmobiles....and a 2000 Ural Patrol 650
"I should have collected Stamps and I wouldn't need 2 storage buildings too keep it ALL"

You are never lost, but you may have never been at this place before, so enjoy all that you see, hear, feel......
You can only be lost if you have left the planet;
Take a bearing, stay on it, and you will come right back to where you are right now !!

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Location: The lower southern tier of central upstate NY ,Binghamton,NY

Postby cdscoot » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:28 pm

Dat Yooper wrote:Being on our local Vol. Fire Dept., I had the hair standing on end when I 1st read this thread!!!!
The Pinesol (Id use Dawn Dish Soap Or any other heavy degreaser) method is the way to go!!
Boiling Oil or Solvents WILL SELF IGNITE !!!!!

But we only have 3 causes for fires in our township........MEN...WOMEN....AND CHILDREN!!

I was wondering about that .
Craig
Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. Every morning is the dawn of a new error .
2010 Patrol T
2016 BMW R1200GS

BoBDoG2o02
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby BoBDoG2o02 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:35 pm

Does the Pinesol remove the heavy varnish too?
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

'09 ER-6N you figure out what i'm doing with this one.....
'99 Honda ST1100
'06 Gear Up - Sold
'79 Yamaha XS650 Special - Cafe` Project - finished and SOLD!!!

biggziff
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby biggziff » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:07 pm

BoBDoG2o02 wrote:Does the Pinesol remove the heavy varnish too?

Pine Sol is the best soaking cleaner for parts since Berryman changed their formula to be safe. You have to use the original formula and it's only good for 1-3 days. I use plastic totes from Walmart and keep them warm while parts are soaking. You can dilute it 2-1 (PS to water), but I usually use it straight anymore. The warmer the solution the better the cleaning action. I do agitate the parts every few hours and will scrub them a little with a toothbrush during the soak for the heavier stuff.

It'll eat varnish. It'll also remove the coating from phosphate coated parts like carb brackets, etc turning them dark or black which doesn't look so hot so be aware.
2007 Gear Up (gone, but not forgotten)
2011 Gear Up

BoBDoG2o02
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby BoBDoG2o02 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:29 am

I have 2 Mikuni BS38 CV carbs for a XS650 that had bad float needles.... for years. I think this may be an option to get the nastys off the outside.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

'09 ER-6N you figure out what i'm doing with this one.....
'99 Honda ST1100
'06 Gear Up - Sold
'79 Yamaha XS650 Special - Cafe` Project - finished and SOLD!!!

JustTroItIn
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby JustTroItIn » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:06 pm

biggziff wrote:Pine Sol is the best soaking cleaner for parts since Berryman changed their formula to be safe.

Roughly how long ago did Berryman change their formula? I love that stuff.
==========
Just Tro It In & See What Happens
1980 Dnepr MT10-36
1971 BMW R60/5
1995 Ducati Supersport
2005 GasGas EC 250
1993 Husqvarna TE-350

biggziff
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby biggziff » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:28 pm

JustTroItIn wrote:
biggziff wrote:Pine Sol is the best soaking cleaner for parts since Berryman changed their formula to be safe.

Roughly how long ago did Berryman change their formula? I love that stuff.

At least 2 years. Maybe 3? The new stuff sucks in comparison.
2011 Gear Up

URAL CT
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby URAL CT » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:56 am

Be cautious about using pine sol. It'll etch all the steel parts of the carb, like the springs, pivot arm, & top dome. I immediately sprayed WD40 to the whole carb but did not help. Cleaned it alright but now I'm dealing with rusted throttle return springs, rusted dome top, & throttle arm. Just sayin'...YMMV
CT
2007 Patrol
Plano, TX

biggziff
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby biggziff » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:48 pm

URAL CT wrote:Be cautious about using pine sol. It'll etch all the steel parts of the carb, like the springs, pivot arm, & top dome. I immediately sprayed WD40 to the whole carb but did not help. Cleaned it alright but now I'm dealing with rusted throttle return springs, rusted dome top, & throttle arm. Just sayin'...YMMV

It only bothers plated parts. You can reduce the ratio to keep that from happening. There is a lot of information on this all over the net including recommended mixtures.
2011 Gear Up

Dat Yooper
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby Dat Yooper » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:38 pm

Dawn Dish Soap, Might now work as fast, but doesn't strip cadium plated parts, (Cheap Galanize)
Rusty Iron Junkie from Central Wisconsin!! Old: Trucks, Farm Tractors, Motorcycles, Snowmobiles....and a 2000 Ural Patrol 650
"I should have collected Stamps and I wouldn't need 2 storage buildings too keep it ALL"

You are never lost, but you may have never been at this place before, so enjoy all that you see, hear, feel......
You can only be lost if you have left the planet;
Take a bearing, stay on it, and you will come right back to where you are right now !!

Return to “General Hammerin' and Wrenchin' (all model years)”