Keeping your bike clean

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
Zuurg
Comrade
Comrade

Keeping your bike clean

Postby Zuurg » Wed May 09, 2018 11:01 pm

Hello! Any tips on keeping your bike clean?

Thanks,

Anthony
2018 Gear Up

windmill
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Re: Keeping your bike clean

Postby windmill » Thu May 10, 2018 12:52 am

Zuurg wrote:Hello! Any tips on keeping your bike clean?

Thanks,

Anthony

S100 cycle cleaner, powerful cleaner that won't discolor paint or aluminum.

S100 corrosion protection, excellent corrosion protection that's virtually invisible for visible areas.

S100 engine brightener, makes faded or discolored painted high temperature, anodized, plastic, and rubber items look like new. also protects from corrosion, and makes subsequent cleaning easier.

Boeshield, excellent, durable corrosion protection for problem areas such as seams, weldments, frame gussets, undersides of fenders, and electrical connectors.

On the other end of the spectrum, if significant exposure to salt or mud for an extended period is expected, WD-40 sprayed on and allowed to dry, and repeated as needed can be helpful. It will soon look horrible, but will clean off, and it protects everything.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

Lee Pape

Postby Lee Pape » Thu May 10, 2018 9:36 am

When you seem to spend most of your riding time on roads like this, cleaning is a waste of time.

We may not have it all together,
But, together we have it all.

2007 Tourist "The un-named-one"
Riding and working on Urals since 2000.

Mr Wazzock

Postby Mr Wazzock » Thu May 10, 2018 10:45 am

I have found no substitute for bucket of warm water car shampoo or equiv (hair shampoo is good) and a w@$# mitt and sponge, have now added a wheel cleaning brush, last year bought a pressure washer, supposed to be a good make, wouldn’t look at the dirt never mind shift it, even with the plug-in car w@$# bottle of soapy stuff, conclusion, no substitute for physical contact wiping/ sponging.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta

hotflash44

Postby hotflash44 » Thu May 10, 2018 11:20 am

Lee Pape wrote:When you seem to spend most of your riding time on roads like this, cleaning is a waste of time.

the second picture reminds me of the country directions of go down the road a spell until you see the old oak tree then turn right, seems everyone has made right turns around that tree! :boogie: :boogie:
drive a 2016 gear up asphalt grey .Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

hotflash44

Postby hotflash44 » Thu May 10, 2018 11:22 am

Zuurg wrote:Hello! Any tips on keeping your bike clean?

Thanks,

Anthony

do like i do only ride in good weather stay off all dirty roads and keep it in the garage, only down side is no fun! :boogie: :(
drive a 2016 gear up asphalt grey .Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Ironhand
Party Member
Party Member

Postby Ironhand » Thu May 10, 2018 3:48 pm

[/quote]
do like i do only ride in good weather stay off all dirty roads and keep it in the garage, only down side is no fun! :boogie: :([/quote]

There's one in every crowd :lol: . I am a big fan of simple green and blasting on the car w@$# suds with one of these https://www.chemicalguys.com/Torq_Foam_Blaster_6_Foam_Wash_Gun_Hose_Connect_p/acc_326.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIouPFzPT72gIVshXTCh0gcASrEAQYAyABEgJayfD_BwE
2015 Ural Gear Up
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2008 Honda XR650L
2003 Yamaha FZ1

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. —Mark Twain

RC20
Party Member
Party Member

Postby RC20 » Thu May 10, 2018 7:16 pm

I agree with the S100. It works good. Good soap and brush needed at times and get the worst off as well.

Anyone have a view on the all black power train vs the "natural" one for being easier to keep clean?
100k estimated cycle driving:

Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Switchgear/ Generators/Fire Pumps/Computer Controlled Building Systems

windmill

Postby windmill » Thu May 10, 2018 8:19 pm

RC20 wrote:I agree with the S100. It works good. Good soap and brush needed at times and get the worst off as well.

Anyone have a view on the all black power train vs the "natural" one for being easier to keep clean?

It's-a-wash......

Having both, My experience is there isn't any real difference. Both will take some effort to keep looking fresh, neither will stay perfect. The one advantage the black has is there's spray on products that will make it look virtually new, where as it takes "elbow grease" to get the same results on an unpainted engine. Elbow grease can be applied at ones pleasure. Spray on products require first w@$#ing and letting it dry thoroughly, then spray on and let it dry thoroughly.

I'd say get what you prefer.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2018 M70

windmill

Postby windmill » Thu May 10, 2018 8:27 pm

Ironhand wrote: I am a big fan of simple green

Simple green did a number on the gloss black bits on my Patrol, the frame is dull and hazy. It also stripped the w@* off everything else.
It may be ok for flat and satin finishes, but it doesn't seem to be a good match for gloss finishes.

YMMV as Ural has used different paints over the years.
Barry

2018 M70

Ironhand
Party Member
Party Member

Postby Ironhand » Fri May 11, 2018 8:52 am

Hmm. I've been using it for years with no damage to paint. It will strip w@*, though as you'd expect being a powerful degreaser.
2015 Ural Gear Up
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2008 Honda XR650L
2003 Yamaha FZ1

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. —Mark Twain

hotflash44

Postby hotflash44 » Fri May 11, 2018 9:39 am

Mr Wazzock wrote:I have found no substitute for bucket of warm water car shampoo or equiv (hair shampoo is good) and a w@$# mitt and sponge, have now added a wheel cleaning brush, last year bought a pressure washer, supposed to be a good make, wouldn’t look at the dirt never mind shift it, even with the plug-in car w@$# bottle of soapy stuff, conclusion, no substitute for physical contact wiping/ sponging.
Hi Mr Waz, my biggest cleaning area is always the spokes and rims,never found a good easy way to clean them other than pulling up a stool and do one at a time with that little wipe needed around the rim where the spoke goes in. if you have any method to make this job easier please let me know. :cheers:

RC20
Party Member
Party Member

Postby RC20 » Fri May 11, 2018 6:32 pm

Having both, My experience is there isn't any real difference. Both will take some effort to keep looking fresh, neither will stay perfect. The one advantage the black has is there's spray on products that will make it look virtually new, where as it takes "elbow grease" to get the same results on an unpainted engine. Elbow grease can be applied at ones pleasure. Spray on products require first w@$#ing and letting it dry thoroughly, then spray on and let it dry thoroughly.

Thank you. If I am tracking right is listed as $1000 so not worth it. I have to manage the purchase for he best price vs need.
100k estimated cycle driving:

Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Switchgear/ Generators/Fire Pumps/Computer Controlled Building Systems

SidecarDan
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby SidecarDan » Fri May 11, 2018 9:59 pm

We're supposed to clean them? :boogie: :lol:
Dan
2012 Forest Fog Gear-Up
128/42 jets
7/64ths drilled slides
2013 branch pipes
Yamaha petcock

windmill

Postby windmill » Fri May 11, 2018 10:00 pm

RC20 wrote:

Thank you. If I am tracking right is listed as $1000 so not worth it. I have to manage the purchase for he best price vs need.

I would say its "worth" is defined by the desire to have it, so if cost is a consideration, and you're indifferent, you should feel free to pass on it based on practical reasons.

I really like the look with OD green, it was in my budget, and its my primary transportation in place of a car, so it was worth it to me.
IMG_2959.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barry

2018 M70

Return to “2014 & Later Model-Specific Wrenching Issues”