The big trip

Where have you been riding? Tell us all about your trip. Prove it with pictures! If ya didn't take pictures, it didn't happen...
Forum rules
This is the place for you to post reports about your rides. Remember the mantra: "If you don't post pictures, it didn't happen".
Fran
Comrade
Comrade

Re: The big trip

Postby Fran » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:06 pm

Here we are in Delta UT after 6 days on the road. We left 24 hours behind are scheduled time of Labor Day. There was so much to do in the last few days that it was impossible to get out the door on time. We are still doing things that would have been so much easier at home, but you have to leave some time and you will never be a 100% ready to go. On our first day we just went up the road to Santa Clarita and spent the night with friends.
The next day our target was Panamint Springs in Death Valley, we took the Sierra Highway to California City and then to Trona avoiding the big roads, which is a route we have never taken before. We both love the desert scenery and wide open spaces; I suppose being Irish we had neither growing up. The next day we left early for obvious reasons and even by 9am you could feel the heat building. The bike ran great pulling a steady 40 over the pass between Panamint Valley and Stovepipe Wells and 50/55 the rest of the time. We then took 95 to Tonapah a favorite road from back in our trucking days. It is so nice not to have deadlines and commitments and you can really appreciate the scenery at the Urals pace.
Spent the night in Tonapah, another trucking memory. The Hotel Mitzpah has reopened so we had a beer in the Bar Mitzpah more memories. Our next destination was Ely, Highway 6 is a 167 miles of open range and the occasional ranch no gas good thing we had invested in extra gas cans. It is a long empty road and if you have any problems it would not be fun. Had 2 nights camping and then to Great Basin N.P. unfortunately didn’t get a chance to see the caves. Had a great dinner in Baker, what a night sky with no light pollution you realize how magnificent the stars can be.
Had a nice run today to Delta. Almost 1200k’s so far four 7000+ft passes numerous smaller climbs, no issues at all so far and we are loaded. We are very happy campers. Hope you like the photos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lokiboy
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby Lokiboy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:54 am

Glad you made it though the the desert without a hitch. I've been though Nevada several times along the back roads, and yep, civilized comforts are few and far between. I always asked myself, where do they get gas, food etc. ?

Anyway, looking forward to following your trip.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
60,000Kms and counting

cateyetech
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby cateyetech » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:14 am

Hey Fran
:thumbsup:
2003 Gear-Up

sagerat

Postby sagerat » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:29 pm

Love the Great Basin and Death Valley, too. Good to hear the Mitz is open again. I've spent several nights in Tonopah as well as riding 95, 50, 6 and similar excellent Nevada highways.

Happy trails and enjoyed the pics.
2004 Ural Tourist

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure

2017 Kawasaki KLR 650

Saving pennies for a fuel-injected Ural Gear Up

Return to “Ride Reports”