SE Idaho

Where have you been riding? Tell us all about your trip. Prove it with pictures! If ya didn't take pictures, it didn't happen...
Forum rules
This is the place for you to post reports about your rides. Remember the mantra: "If you don't post pictures, it didn't happen".
metalcarver
Comrade
Comrade

Re: SE Idaho

Postby metalcarver » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:16 am

Hey Dad! Watcha wanna do for Father's Day?

So I headed out to Kepps Crossing

Carefully groomed FS road

And then on up the Skyline Ridge Road

And down to Brockman Road

Followed it to Dan Creek Road

Turned off that onto the Horse Creek road to the Grey's Lake Outlet.

Back to the Bone Road and back home.

131 km ... oops ... 81 miles. Damn, I have a great back yard.
Technology is using the best tool for the job. Skill is doing the same job with a hammer.
2014 Ural Gear Up "Seven of Nine"
2011 Suzuki DL650
Anyone else in SE Idaho?

metalcarver
Comrade
Comrade

Postby metalcarver » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:56 pm

Spitslap : When you spit in your hand and slap it and go with the longest streak.

So, a call from good friend don Chano and I was off to connect in Logan, Utah by way of the Blackfoot Reservoir.

Ran out of town and got away clean...

Made it to Soda Springs and sat out a bunch of thunderstorms that were puking on MY road at the Gonzales Mexican Cafe (highly recommended). Then Montpelier and Ovid and got on Idaho 36 to emigration canyon. Logan canyon is beautiful but so very crowded now. Emigration pass to Preston is much more sane. All slab from Soda.

Set up camp at Emigration CG. hm ... IMmigration = coming in. Emigration = getting the hell out. So, is Idaho filled with illegal immigrants from Utah? ... never mind...

The whole trip is filled with purty flars... Arrow Leaf Balsam Root

Buttercup - ish, dunno...

Last edited by metalcarver on Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Technology is using the best tool for the job. Skill is doing the same job with a hammer.
2011 Suzuki DL650
Anyone else in SE Idaho?

metalcarver
Comrade
Comrade

Postby metalcarver » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:58 pm

Left the CG and down to Preston then joined with don Chano in Smithfield and set out via Blacksmith Fork by Hyrum. Got up to Hardware Ranch and headed down the pi$$ ant road and across pi$$ Ant Flat. My grandfather called it that, my dad took me hunting there and some wiseacre in the forest service renamed it Ant Flat. You still talk to the locals and they call it pi$$ Ant Flat.

Don Chano his own self. He is overly modest. He's a veteran of the Baja 1000 and his team took something like 10th overall as privateers. What you see him do with a 990 you should not try at home. Even on a Honda Grom.

Then on up Monte Cristo. Paved but pretty. High Uinta mountains in the background. Our destination.

Driving from Woodruff to Evanston I'm sure has interesting things, only, I really haven't found them yet. No pics. We went up the Mirror Lake road and turned off on FS 58 to begin a traverse of the North Slope of the High Uintas.

And found a perfect camp site down a little side road.

2011 Suzuki DL650
Anyone else in SE Idaho?

metalcarver
Comrade
Comrade

Postby metalcarver » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:59 pm

Don't know why I haven't heard more about the High Uinta North Slope Traverse. A hundred miles of dirt through some spectacular country. On one 7 mile stretch you would have to be pretty aggressive on a big bike. They pave all the roads in the Uinta Mts. with baby heads. The difficulty is determining how much of the head is exposed and how much you can handle.

Leaving camp and please don't step on the flowers...

Some of them were a bit crispy after a cold night.

And on our way again.

And down to China Meadows

Be careful wandering in the woods, something might be layin' for ya.

White columbines

Indian Paintbrush

The mountains starting to wind down approaching Flaming Gorge.

Geezers galore!

At the Flaming Gorge Dam

And then gas and a couple of incredibly expensive mediocre hamburgers, a $3 gallon of water, and a quick getaway from Dutch John. This former construction camp for the Flaming Gorge dam is now the province of pimply teenagers roaring around in $60k shiny pickemups while their parents are fooling around on the $500k runabout. Did not want to camp anywhere near this place so headed on down the Brown's Park road about 15 miles down the highway and found a campsite in a wildlife management area.

Coming Soon! - The Highway to Hell.
2011 Suzuki DL650
Anyone else in SE Idaho?

metalcarver
Comrade
Comrade

Postby metalcarver » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:01 pm

Spitslap Day 4 - Highway to Hell.

When I was doing a lot of climbing we had a rule to never go downhill into terrain that you don't know. Blew that one.

Pretty morning at the WMA.

Saw guy clatter up near us in a pickup with horse trailer. He used a can to make a funny noise and the five horses that stampeded in the night due to DC's snoring ran right up to that guy. He gave out some treats, looked them over, put one in the trailer and drove off.

That visit made this the most crowded camp site of the whole trip. On July 4th weekend even...

Time to vamos.

Uinta Mountains in the background.

Now if you are skilled enough, patient and persistent you might get this close to don Chano.

He waited for me at the state line.

And then winding on up to a pass that is 4 miles from the Utah, Colorado, and Wyoming tri - point.

It goes without saying on this forum that the most difficult and challenging pieces of riding don't get pictures. Survival does have a priority. You probably noticed the road sign at the state line as well as the helpful informative sign in the above picture. These are to lure you in. The road down the north side begins innocently enough but then turns and heads straight downhill and you need a good feel on the brakes so as to not lock them up. A couple of truck ruts got changed into 3 foot ditches and the road is set in enough that there is no turning around. In the future I will define stress as that feeling you get when you are on a Ural, straddling a chasm, and it starts getting wider. Panic is when said rift in the earth makes a right angle turn into oblivion. All I can say is that the throttle can be your friend. Your only friend. Even el Patron said near the bottom that there's no going back on this one.

This is where it leveled out enough to stop to wipe sweat away.

Only to find a little drainage going down the same road to untold delights beyond.

Then we came to this:

We didn't say nothin'.

However, some outlaw cowboy had run a dozer down the site of the former bridge and back up the other side. The bottom of the draw looked like this.

At the top of the slope it looked doable. Somewhere on the back side of my mind is scrawled a saying "When in doubt, check it out". I didn't. The bottom of the w@$# had been filled with logs or rocks or something, covered with dirt and called good enough fer who it's for. Well the last winter and w@$#ed a lot of it away. Those holes you see are very deep and the only stable dirt is the hard pack you see. Did I mention that the throttle is your friend? The hill on the other side is steep enough that the Ural needs 10 to 15 mph to keep the rpm in the torque curve in first gear. I saw the danger after I had pinned it for the climb. A hard bounce and on up the other side. Again little was said. We pressed on.

Another couple of miles and we reached a county road which I guess means that there is some maintenance. Some. But yes, little by little we breathed easier.

We could still see the Uinta Mountains.

The road became a regular dirt highway and we made it out to Highway 430 and Rock Springs.

We had plenty of excitement so it was nice to be on pavement and in Rock Springs we gobble a bunch of fast food and headed across Wyoming. Our original plans were to make our way on back roads to South Pass but this last winter has really torn apart any roads that don't receive regular maintenance. Slab it. Now one could take pictures of the highway to Farson and to south pass, but ... Why? We got on the Lander cutoff near south pass and headed for the first camp site we could find.

2011 Suzuki DL650
Anyone else in SE Idaho?

metalcarver
Comrade
Comrade

Postby metalcarver » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:03 pm

Spitslap 5 Lander cutoff to the Wyoming range.

A cold night but a beautiful morning.

Um, Mr. KHvol and any others of the vice presidential persuasion would y'all kindly step into my office? I may dwell on the subject a lot and some of you have heard this particular lecture before, but I must repeat it until it is pounded into your pointy little heads.

Time will get you money but no amount of money will buy you time!

But on to the adventure. Nice driveway, eh?

And ride on a gravel superhighway into Pinedale for really good grub at Los Cabos. (get the carne asada)

After chow we headed west to the highway and down to the Cottonwood - Ryegrass road. We turned off on FS 50/46 a few miles and found an outstanding camp site.

El Patron in the distance.

AHhhhhhhhhhhh!

Last edited by metalcarver on Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2011 Suzuki DL650
Anyone else in SE Idaho?

metalcarver
Comrade
Comrade

Postby metalcarver » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:07 am

Day 7 The bubble pops.

Long luxurious snooze. Quiet camp, beautiful place, what could possibly go wrong?

Got up and made lots of coffee and cruised for flower pics.

We got underway about noon. The upper Greys River road is about as rough as I've ever seen it. This last winter was hard and the extra moisture in March and April made for serious runoff all through the west. But the farther downstream you go the bigger and smoother the road gets.

I had become complacent. This was after all the 4th of July. Just after we passed the Cazier gaurd station the trailers started growing in the meadows like mushrooms. I think the true demarcation of the transition to purgatory is the Cherry Creek road to McDougal Gap. A right turn here would have taken us back and made a complete circumnavigation of the Wyoming Range. We went on amidst increasing traffic for the remaining 30 miles or so to Alpine. I was in the lead and I came up to a monster 5th wheel trailer and to me and DC it looked like he pulled over to let me pass. When I was about even with the trailer tires he abruptly turned right into me. He was intentionally trying to run me off the road. I stopped, honked and he stopped, so I tried to go around. A truck coming the other way had to brake for me and flipped me off. Adrenaline twisted the right grip hard and after a few miles I stopped and compared notes with DC. Yep, they matched. So for the rest of the way into Alpine it was a slow parade of road rhinos and 4 wheelers and dust rising into the atmosphere. And hot. When we got to Alpine there was the 4th of July parade so we had to wait. We were talking by the side of the road when the said 5th wheeler drove by. I walked into the roadway and stared at them, neither the old man or his wife would look at me. Utah plates. Something has happened to Utah since I grew up there and then came back to Idaho a few years ago. The freeways are totally full of angry obnoxious people driving the same way. Now they are polluting Wyoming. Totally empty roads for the whole trip (except Dutch John and Pinedale) and my bubble popped. Another excellent burger at Yankee Doodle Cafe next to the bridge finished the trip. DC headed for Smithfield and myself to Idaho Falls. Was contemplating a return via Falls Creek but I could see up the canyon from the highway and there was dust rising as far as I could see. Bikers please be cautious on holidays. It's dangerous out there...
2011 Suzuki DL650
Anyone else in SE Idaho?

Manscout
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby Manscout » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:21 am

Glad you made it through that close call! It looks like you are getting in some beautiful riding over there. Keep the pics coming and stay safe!
"It goes nowhere fast, and everywhere cool".

2011 Ural Patrol - Rodney
Gillette, Wy
Instagram: manscoutwyo

metalcarver
Comrade
Comrade

Postby metalcarver » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:55 pm

BOM 2017

I signed up for the Best of Montana 2017 ride which was going to be a 1700+ miles ramble through Montana and Wyoming with 50 riders signed up. This has been organized every year by Wansfel on ADV rider. They started in the Bitterroot Valley by Stevensville and crossed the mountains to Wisdom, MT and then up into the Pioneer mountains to camp at Elkhorn hot springs and Grasshopper USFS campground. Myself and two accomplices rendezvoused at Dubois, Idaho and went up the Medicine Lodge road over the continental divide at the base of the Beaverhead Range. It was about 130 miles from Dubois to Grasshopper through the high-wide-and lonesome.

The start of the road was a gravel superhighway past a few ranches.

Then up the Bannack Pass Road. Originally this road was a wagon road from the town of Bannack in Montana used to haul ore from the mines in Bannack.

Gaining altitude.

Said accomplices were WoodrowBDR and Jeff from Rexburg on Honda AT's.

"Never look back; something might be gaining on you"

And eating dust.

Higher it turns to two track with the ominous sign "Impassable when wet"

In Montana now.

A little obstacle. Where WoodrowBDR is going is shallow with a steep get out. The way I went was fairly deep, splashed hard, and the engine quit with the front wheel on dirt. Started fine when it dried off for a couple of minutes. Didn't get a picture of Jeff because I pushed the on/off button instead of the shutter.:shog

Out into a big wide empty valley.

And on to the Grasshopper campground where I managed to snag the group site and it filled up.

Paintbrush and geraniums.

2011 Suzuki DL650
Anyone else in SE Idaho?

metalcarver
Comrade
Comrade

Postby metalcarver » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:54 am

Day 2 BOM

Today is over 200 miles from Grasshopper C.G. to camp in Island Park, Idaho. Island park is 246 KM (153 miles - Ural uses Napoleonic measures) from fillup in Dillon, Mt. which, if you spend a lot of time in the first couple of gears can use up all the fuel in the tank. More on that later...

So after a good snooze most of us staggered in to the Grasshopper Inn, just down the road for medicinal coffee and good grub. Here, a bunch of geezers are gathered around drooling. Wansfel is the big guy in front. The rest shall remain anonymous to protect the public.

Ruffians.

Hooligans.

Down to the trail near Bannack where we take off on a nice little 2 track.

We split up into small groups instead of a hell's angels run. This is my group, the notorious Ladybug0048 on right.

Gas up in Dillon and on down the Clearwater road.

Gravelly Mountains in the background.

And up the Warm Springs road into the Gravellys.

The road through the Gravelly Mountains is one of the most breathtaking I have been on. The road winds along ridge tops at up to 9500 feet elevation with fantastic views in every direction.

Places for gnarlybikes to frolic as well...

The ominous clouds that had been looming all day finally caught up as the road went down into the Red Rock Valley. For some reason I thought my team was ahead of me so I hurried to catch up and as a bit of hail and rain started down I realized it was me out of touch as usual. The road wound down and smoothed out going across the valley. It had rained and the surface was pretty slickery. All of the two wheelers had gone white knuckled and were tip toeing across the gooey sections. However, my steed had been built by Cossacks. I was on the steppes. With my sword held high I pinned it. Mere mortals fell behind and were lost to history. Forty-one fire breathing horsepower reduced the Red Rock Road to a mere invitation. I was gone. I paused at the Continental Divide for a pic.

Made it into Island Park for respite at the Lucky Dog saloon and Home for Wayward Boys for debriefing and beverages. A glorious sleep and arose ready for more . All geared up with the beast idling I made my farewells and the engine died. Ran out of gas. Had plenty on board but did not put it in the main tank. Gas in and would not start. Troubleshoot. Good spark. Maybe fuel pump cavitated so went to undo the gas line from one of the throttle bodies. Cossack single use crimped hose clamp. In cutting said hose clamp off I broke the nipple off the fitting. End of trip.

Блядь!
2011 Suzuki DL650
Anyone else in SE Idaho?

sagerat

Postby sagerat » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:42 pm

Wow, that is some awesome country. Sorry to hear of your fuel line woe.
2004 Ural Tourist

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure

2017 Kawasaki KLR 650

Saving pennies for a fuel-injected Ural Gear Up

cateyetech

Postby cateyetech » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:53 am

AWESOME RR :thumbsup:
2003 Gear-Up

Return to “Ride Reports”