Sidecar interior carpeting liner

This is the place for dealers and other commercial entities to peddle their Ural/Dnepr related wares. One caveat only, all listings must include a price or the MSRP.
Forum rules
This is the place for dealers and other commercial entities to advertise and sell their Ural or Dnepr related wares. All listings must include a price or the MSRP.
dogboy443
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Sidecar interior carpeting liner

Postby dogboy443 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:15 pm

So my Winter project will be to make myself liner panels for the sidecar using thin, but sturdy masonite, durable and (hopefully) water resistant carpeting as well as double sided-tape for installation. I've seen a bunch of offered ones on eBay, but I thought I would take a crack at it. Anyone done this before? Anyone sober try this before? Any suggestions would be helpful. Cheers!
2006 Ural Tourist, The Flying Pickle!

Lokiboy

Re: Sidecar interior carpeting liner

Postby Lokiboy » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:37 pm

Be careful about anything you put on the floor of the hack. It is more than likely it will retain water and the floor will rust.

Looking forward to seeing your final project.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
70,000 km and counting

dogboy443

Postby dogboy443 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:10 pm

No plans on doing anything to the floor. I have the wood slats for skid-proofing. The template should be able to trace out on newsprint and then transfer to the masonite. Easier to cut with a band saw or hand saw. I figure a good staple gun for securing the carpet and pull pull pull so no wrinkles appear. Also thinking of hitting the main area with some spray adhesive so over time it doesn't look like a car's head liner and start to sag and droop. Insert snarky comments here.

Rich Maund

Postby Rich Maund » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:53 pm

I've been selling interior carpet sets for 15 years.

I have tried doing fiberglass panels. Very heavy. The dust formed while cutting them out can kill you. You need to glue fabric to them with contact cement. Fumes there. The tops of the panels will quickly have the fabric wear out at the edge because of passengers dragging themselves across the edges as they get in and out. Self stick Velcro works well to attach the panels.
Be careful making any panel thick as the seat bottom may no longer fit into the sidecar.

I came to decide that outdoor carpet with a stiff backing is the best material. You can sew the Velcro to it for mounting and the sewn edging doesn't sear as quickly as fabric wrapped over a hard edged panel. Its thin enough that seat bottoms still fit.

Just stuff to think about there.

I have a set of Blue carpet almost done that I can sell. I can build gray sets to order. I have no source for a good black carpet. I have enough tan carpet here to build one set. Just say'n for anyone who doesn't want to do it themselves. I build 9 pc sets for the full interior.
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

dogboy443

Postby dogboy443 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:39 pm

Sent you a PM Rich. Thanks, you are fantastic to share this info.

Rich Maund

Postby Rich Maund » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:30 pm

Be careful shooting staples into Masonite. It'll just bend the staples or shatter the Masonite. This is where a really good contact adhesive is needed. Get some DAP upholstery cement from a local upholstery shop. Urethane based. Pre thinned for spraying and a brush works well too. Its hazmat so it can only be ground shipped. Bring a pickle jar and ask them how much to fill it. Wholesale on it is $100 for a 5 gallon can FYI. Not cheap, but super strong. You can repair boots with it!
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

dogboy443

Postby dogboy443 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:31 pm

Thanks Rich, I'll be careful, try not to shoot my eye out...kid.

Return to “The Gray Market”