Just a moped: Project Wasp. [Finished!!!]

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
rebelrider
Comrade General
Comrade General

Just a moped: Project Wasp. [Finished!!!]

Postby rebelrider » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:58 am

I'm hoping to upgrade my status as a Ural owner from wannabe to newbie some time next year.
In the mean time, I've been fixing up and customizing an old Puch moped.

I wonder if folks here would be interested in my sharing this project?
If so, I wonder what section to share in, since its not a Ural?

I also happen to be a mechanical newbie. Can't fix my car to save my life. The lawn mower and I have an uneasy truce.
My Honda Rebel has only just recently become less of a mystery to me. The moped and I are getting along great.
I think it enjoys the attention. :lol:

Anyway, I'd love to get feedback and advice as I go, if you all don't mind me posting about it.

Thanks,
Last edited by rebelrider on Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:03 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Mike
Image2014 Ural M70 "Trogdor"
1987 Honda CMX250C "Rebel"
1979 Puch Moped "Wasp"

beeman07
Comrade
Comrade

Re: While I'm waiting for 2014 to happen...

Postby beeman07 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:30 pm

I dig the moped. I've thought of adding one to my fleet, but since I live in the country I can't really justify it.
2013 Ural Patrol / 2012 H-D XR1200x / 2003 H-D Sportster Hugger / 1995 Ural Solo

rebelrider
Comrade General
Comrade General

Re: Waiting for 2014 so... Moped Project.

Postby rebelrider » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:25 am

Ok, here goes...

My whole motorcycling experience began around 2005 when a friend of mine was moving. As he was cleaning out his garage, he found his old moped in the back. His wife forbade him from taking it to the new house, and he came to me in a panic, asking if I would like a free moped. My first question was "what's a moped?" I learned its like a motorized bicycle, but the primary drive is the motor and the pedal drive is secondary. I also learned that my friend bought in many, many years ago, rode it once, fell off, and hid it in the back of his garage. Well, that sounded like fun to me, so I took it.

What I got is a Puch (pronounced like "book" but with a "p") Sears Free Spirit moped. The really "fast" one with the 2.2 HP unrestricted 50cc engine that will theoretically propel me up to a face-stretching 30 MPH. I've heard some of you guys complain about the Ural being underpowered and lacking in speed. Try a moped! The Ural is a lightning-fast power dynamo compared to this thing. :lol: Speaking of dynamos, the stock stator puts out about 35 Watts of 6V power. That's not even enough to run the three light bulbs it comes with! If you want turn signals, that's an accessory that runs off its own rechargeable battery.

Well this was a fun little machine that got me around for a couple of years. I enjoyed being outside the car on the road, and almost keeping up with traffic. Then I discovered the Honda Rebel. That thing was huge! 250cc! Electric start! Goes the speed limit! So I took the weekend training course, got my 2-wheel endorsement, and got a Rebel. I really enjoyed that too, but around 2010 my eye kept getting drawn to sidecars. I did some research, and discovered my little Rebel would be woefully inadequate for any sidecar that would accommodate actual people. The Ural caught my attention right away, but it took a while for me to realize they were still in production, and not just a vintage rig that would be hard to get parts for. Then I started looking at the price difference between getting a new bike + customized sidecar and getting a Ural where the sidecar comes standard. I wavered a bit with the Urals reputation for unreliability. After finding Soviet Steeds, that concern went away. Between the company support, and the community of owners, I feel pretty comfortable getting one if these rigs. So I got my 3-wheel endorsement this year, and am saving up for a 2014 M70!

Well, there is some boring life history. Now on to the project...
Mike
1979 Puch Moped "Wasp"

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby rivers » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:47 pm

The Puch looks good, ya did a nice job.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Nimbus4
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Nimbus4 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:03 pm

Go to the video in the Virtual Watering Hole section and check out the guy on the C90 the toured the Arctic Circle on his Moped. Hey if it makes you smile giver'... That's what it is all about....

Big Bikes, Little Bikes and now a Ural I have owned the all. It is about having fun!
Nimbus4
2013 Gear Up
2005 Kawasaki Concours (Sold)

ASE Certified, CASI Certified Lubrication Tech

"A short cut is often the fastest way to somewhere you were not heading."

Nimbus4
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Nimbus4 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:04 pm

Throw some studded knobbies and a windjammer on it and ride it year round.
Nimbus4
2013 Gear Up
2005 Kawasaki Concours (Sold)

ASE Certified, CASI Certified Lubrication Tech

"A short cut is often the fastest way to somewhere you were not heading."

rebelrider
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby rebelrider » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:11 am

The Puch has been garaged most of its life. And it hasn't seen a lot of wear and tear, as it only had 500 miles on it when I got it.
I've since brought that number up to 1,100. I took some time and got it all clean and happy looking:

This poor guy has been neglected the last few years since I've been riding the Rebel. Every few months though, I take it out to make sure it still works.
This spring, it didn't. So I gave it a little starter fluid. It started right up, then promptly died. Must be fuel.
Well the tank had fuel, so the next thing is the fuel valve. I pulled the hose and turned it on... nothing. Nothing on reserve either.
I took the valve apart and found the three channels clogged with gray stuff:

I also looked around in the tank. Unlike the Puch Maxi, the Free Spirit has a removable tank; not integrated into the body.
I've seen lots of You Tube videos of folks trying to clean out and treat the Maxi gas tank/body. Sorry Puch, but that's a dumb design!
Anyway, my tank is in really good shape inside, except for a little rust around the fuel valve hole. I feel pretty lucky there.

Got the valve all cleaned up good as new:

Once I assembled everything, I had more success getting fuel past the valve:

With that done, the engine started right up. Although, the engine speed kept going up and down without any help from me or the throttle.
I figure if the fuel valve had buildup, the carb might too. Carburetors and I have a troubled history. But that's for another post...
Mike
1979 Puch Moped "Wasp"

rebelrider
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby rebelrider » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:40 am

I did a bit of research on this little carburetor, and watched a lot of You Tube videos on how to assemble and adjust it.
Its about the simplest carb I've ever seen, but as I said earlier, carbs and I typically don't get along.
Well, this is what they call a 14mm Bing CV carburetor. I noticed right away, some deterioration of the throttle cable.
Probably why the throttle was feeling a bit "crunchy" to me. A little more disassembly, and a few more bad parts.
Thanks to a couple online moped stores, I got some inexpensive replacements.
From what I've read, the little paper top gaskets are notorious for getting accidentally torn during assembly.
So I bought two. All the metal bits got soaked in carburetor cleaner.
I used compressed cleaner to verify all the little holes and passages were clear. So many tiny parts.
Got it back together without any leftovers.
Ready for final assembly on the bike. The choke mechanism is a little plate that restricts air flow.
Opening the throttle automatically pushes the restrictor plate open again. Pretty neat mechanism.
All put back together; it reminds me of a submarine coning tower.

The adjustment on these is pretty easy. The float height is made to be parallel to the body by bending a tab.
The fuel/air mixture can only be adjusted by changing the needle jet size. There is only one jet.
Idle speed is adjusted with a screw that sticks out the side. And the throttle cable length is adjustable.

The engine started right up, and the RPM was strong and steady. No longer wavering up and down.
I did find that the idle screw made no difference to the idle speed, even though the throttle was fully closed.
A leak test showed air getting past where the carb connects with the intake manifold.
Seems odd that none of the diagrams I've seen show any kind of sealer between the two parts.
I found an o-ring that fit perfect between the two, and now the air leak is gone, and the idle is adjustable.

So... my first successful carburetor rebuild!
Mike
1979 Puch Moped "Wasp"

redflasher
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby redflasher » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:42 pm

rebelrider wrote:Ok, here goes...

My whole motorcycling experience began around 2005 when a friend of mine was moving. As he was cleaning out his garage, he found his old moped in the back. His wife forbade him from taking it to the new house, and he came to me in a panic, asking if I would like a free moped. My first question was "what's a moped?" I learned its like a motorized bicycle, but the primary drive is the motor and the pedal drive is secondary. I also learned that my friend bought in many, many years ago, rode it once, fell off, and hid it in the back of his garage. Well, that sounded like fun to me, so I took it.

What I got is a Puch (pronounced like "book" but with a "p") Sears Free Spirit moped. The really "fast" one with the 2.2 HP unrestricted 50cc engine that will theoretically propel me up to a face-stretching 30 MPH. I've heard some of you guys complain about the Ural being underpowered and lacking in speed. Try a moped! The Ural is a lightning-fast power dynamo compared to this thing. :lol: Speaking of dynamos, the stock stator puts out about 35 Watts of 6V power. That's not even enough to run the three light bulbs it comes with! If you want turn signals, that's an accessory that runs off its own rechargeable battery.

Well this was a fun little machine that got me around for a couple of years. I enjoyed being outside the car on the road, and almost keeping up with traffic. Then I discovered the Honda Rebel. That thing was huge! 250cc! Electric start! Goes the speed limit! So I took the weekend training course, got my 2-wheel endorsement, and got a Rebel. I really enjoyed that too, but around 2010 my eye kept getting drawn to sidecars. I did some research, and discovered my little Rebel would be woefully inadequate for any sidecar that would accommodate actual people. The Ural caught my attention right away, but it took a while for me to realize they were still in production, and not just a vintage rig that would be hard to get parts for. Then I started looking at the price difference between getting a new bike + customized sidecar and getting a Ural where the sidecar comes standard. I wavered a bit with the Urals reputation for unreliability. After finding Soviet Steeds, that concern went away. Between the company support, and the community of owners, I feel pretty comfortable getting one if these rigs. So I got my 3-wheel endorsement this year, and am saving up for a 2014 M70!

Well, there is some boring life history. Now on to the project...

Had a Sears Puch moped in 1959. Rode the heck out of it all summer. Sold it and got my first car. 1947 Buick straight 8. The Puch was a LOT of fun.
Bob in Minnesota
Former GearUP owner
Can Am Spyder 2012 RT A&C

'Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.'

'Whilst sidecaring definitely builds both character and muscles, it's not as difficult as some people claim'

Knotlinks
Party Member
Party Member

Postby Knotlinks » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:00 pm

Great photos, great read. I think as long as it has wheels (1 all the way up to infinity) I am interested and love reading about other people's adventures with them. Keep it coming!
Dave Coder
Western New York, USA

2012 Patrol T, Olive Drab

tx2sturgis

Postby tx2sturgis » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Mike,

Years ago, I encountered an old war veteran that was riding his Yamaha 50cc moped across the southwest USA...and it was his ONLY transportation. His name was Clarence. I wrote an article about him on the forum I was active with at the time, and it started some activity in fund-raising for the old guy.

I'm enjoying this report, as it brings back memories of that summer...and the stories Clarence could tell.

Keep the updates coming!

:thumbsup:
---Brian
Republic of Texas

2013 Ural Solo sT

rebelrider
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby rebelrider » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:38 am

I'm glad folks are enjoying the thread. I've been really enjoying working on this little bike. I'm hoping to collect enough tools and talent to be able to maintain and repair my future Ural.
Every time I hear something about the 2014s I get a little less patient to get one!

Anyway, I decided to work on the exhaust next. No where near as complicated as the carburetor, but kinda important, right?
I don't know if this is true of all 2 stroke engines, but the E50 doesn't burn quite all the oil in the fuel mix. Even if the engine is well tuned and warmed up.
So the unburnt oil tends to accumulate in the exhaust, and can eventually cause enough constriction to make the engine run poorly. Well, that wasn't the case with mine.
While there was plenty of goo everywhere, none of it was restricting anything. In fact, you might notice a couple of holes in the pipe near the end of the header.
Most Puchs that use this kind of exhaust pipe have restriction tubes installed there. Also, the baffle usually has some kind of stuffing in it for further restriction.
It turns out my exhaust has neither of those things.
Looks like the exhaust on my Free Spirit is about as free as it gets. I got the parts cleaned up and shiny anyway.
Now, before you get all impressed with the super-clean baffle; its new. Someone out there is still casting these things and making them available for sale.
There is some good and bad to this new baffle. The flimsy washer and bushing that held the old one in place have been replaced with a single machined part: Good!
The original baffle tube was made from an actual tube. The new tube is sheet metal rolled into a tube. And it opened right back up when I tightened the nut: Bad!
The baffle itself is almost an exact replica of the original. I did have to file all the holes as they had a lot of extra material left from the casting process: Pretty good.
The asbestos chord keeping the baffle sealed to the muffler pipe has been replaced with a modern o-ring: Good!
And there's no restrictive stuff in the baffle: Good! So all in all, I'm glad I bought the new one, even though I didn't really need it. I'm still keeping the old one though.
So the finished product. I've kept the old baffle tube since its better quality than the new one. The header and muffler pipes are the shined up originals.
I'm also thinking of putting some extra holes in the baffle to see if I can get better performance without too much extra noise.
Too bad no one sells replacement o-rings for the baffle. I guess I could just get a generic one, but I'm not sure if this o-ring is made of special material?
I don't know how hot the end of the tailpipe gets, so I don't know if a regular o-ring would melt or not.

Before I put it back on the moped though, I'm going to tinker with the top end of the engine. I'm getting poor performance and low compression for some reason...
Mike
1979 Puch Moped "Wasp"

rebelrider
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby rebelrider » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:59 am

I did some test riding with the cleaned up fuel and exhaust parts, and a new, properly gapped spark plug.
There was a time when it would start with 1 or 2 kicks when cold, but now it takes a while.
Riding around, there is less acceleration than there should be, and the engine "4 strokes" at 3/4 throttle and up.
Finally, the bike should get up to 30mph on a flat road, but its top speed is only 26.

Maybe bad rings? Cylinder scoring? Timing? I didn't have a way to check the timing then, but I did have a compression gauge.
I was able to measure about 101 psi. I took a while, but I found that this engine wants around 120.
So, I decided to take the top end apart and see what I could see.
Being a mechanical noob, I'm not sure exactly what to look for, but I did see some oil/carbon buildup that needed cleaning.
I did notice a score in the cylinder going right across the intake port. Too shallow to even snag with my fingernail.
I got the parts cleaned up in an old deep-fryer with a water and Pine-Sol solution.
Many de-greasers will damage aluminum and plastic bits, but I've been told Pine-Sol works pretty well for everything.
It did a good job, and smells way better than carburetor cleaner!
In the mean time, I got an old watchmaker's lathe working and it was perfect for polishing up the piston.
Before polishing, I noticed a score in the piston. Obviously made by the same thing that damaged the cylinder.
After polishing, the score is still there, but a little shallower.
At this point I put it all back together to see if it would still run. With all the nuts and bolts torqued properly.
I got a compression reading of 107.
I hadn't figured any of this would fix anything, but a small improvement is better than making it worse!
It started up ok, and I took it for another test ride. It still behaves the same, no better.

Well, this was my very first time taking the top end of an engine apart and reassembling.
It seems I've managed not to break anything, so I found that encouraging. :D
I will be revisiting the engine as I learn more, but for now, I will do some rewiring...
Mike
1979 Puch Moped "Wasp"

Knotlinks
Party Member
Party Member

Postby Knotlinks » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:20 am

Thanks for the nice morning read!
Dave Coder
Western New York, USA

2012 Patrol T, Olive Drab

tx2sturgis

Postby tx2sturgis » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:59 am

Parts cleaning with Pine-Sol in an old deep-fryer...never heard of this but it looks like it works very well...thanks for the tip!

:thumbsup:
---Brian
Republic of Texas

2013 Ural Solo sT

Return to “Ural/Dnepr 101 - Newbie Questions”