Ground Clearance on Stock Mufflers

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
737AV8OR
Party Member
Party Member

Ground Clearance on Stock Mufflers

Postby 737AV8OR » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:16 pm

I recently replaced my stock mufflers with some "Harley Style" mufflers from Rush Performance Products. When I did the replacement I was hoping to gain a small bit of ground clearance with the smaller diameter mufflers. The problem is, I forgot to measure the clearance of the stock mufflers before I removed them so now I have no reference number to compare to. Anyone know the ground clearance measurement at the rear of the muffler and at the lowest portion of the stock exhaust? The bike is a 2015 Gear Up. Thanks in advance for the assistance folks!
2015 Ural Gear Up
1975 Honda CB750K5

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Re: Ground Clearance on Stock Mufflers

Postby rivers » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:40 pm

Not trying to be an arse but what difference does clearance of a stock bike make once you've changed cans on yours? If you're stilling running low mount exhaust regardless of the cans and you play in mud, intentional or not you're gonna at some point wish they were higher. Granted any can clearance wise is better than the Ural pontoons but not by a great margin. On the plus side you'll be stuck before the rear wheel digs to china. Buried to the mufflers is better than being buried to the hub. So less shoveling.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

737AV8OR
Party Member
Party Member

Postby 737AV8OR » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:01 pm

rivers wrote:Not trying to be an arse but what difference does clearance of a stock bike make once you've changed cans on yours? If you're stilling running low mount exhaust regardless of the cans and you play in mud, intentional or not you're gonna at some point wish they were higher. Granted any can clearance wise is better than the Ural pontoons but not by a great margin. On the plus side you'll be stuck before the rear wheel digs to china. Buried to the mufflers is better than being buried to the hub. So less shoveling.

I didn't replace the mufflers for clearance, I replaced them for aesthetics and improved exhaust note. I was hoping I might have gained an inch or two in the process! If not, then no harm no foul. I now really like the look and the sound so I'm pleased with the modification. If I get an added inch of clearance it's icing on the cake.

I ride 85% on pavement but when I do venture off road I have gotten hung up on the left pontoon just like many others. I know I'm no worse off now than I was with the stock cans but there is a possibility I gained some ground clearance. If and when someone gives me some figures I'll know how I did.
Last edited by 737AV8OR on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2015 Ural Gear Up
1975 Honda CB750K5

chopfather
Comrade
Comrade

Postby chopfather » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:09 pm

I have about 7 inches to the lowest part of the muffler on the stock system.
Current Bikes- 2018 Ural Gear Up
'91 HD Sportster
'81 Yamaha XS650 - 2 of them, both works in progress
'2015 Coleman CT200U minibike

737AV8OR
Party Member
Party Member

Postby 737AV8OR » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:23 pm

chopfather wrote:I have about 7 inches to the lowest part of the muffler on the stock system.

Thanks for taking the time to measure for me chopfather! I'm at close to 7-3/4 inches so it looks like I gained a bit but not a substantial amount. Either way I'm better than I was before and I like the looks and sound of the new system so I'll call it a big net positive.
2015 Ural Gear Up
1975 Honda CB750K5

chopfather
Comrade
Comrade

Postby chopfather » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:53 pm

No problem. I like the looks and sound of your modified exhaust.
Current Bikes- 2018 Ural Gear Up
'91 HD Sportster
'81 Yamaha XS650 - 2 of them, both works in progress
'2015 Coleman CT200U minibike

siberman1

Postby siberman1 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:47 pm

chopfather wrote:No problem. I like the looks and sound of your modified exhaust.

:? ... and where do we "See" and "Hear" these results of "modified exhaust"?? :?:

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

737AV8OR
Party Member
Party Member

Postby 737AV8OR » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:24 pm

siberman1 wrote:
chopfather wrote:No problem. I like the looks and sound of your modified exhaust.

:? ... and where do we "See" and "Hear" these results of "modified exhaust"?? :?:

YMMV

I've been wanting to ditch the stock pontoons for some time. Originally I had planned on the Raceway 2 into 1 and a low mont on the right side. After a couple of users complained about rust issues with the Raceway headers I decided to go a different direction. I eliminated the cats and replaced them with an 18 inch section of 1-1/2 inch exhaust tubing and the slip on Rush mufflers attach to that tubing. I had the headers and 18 inch pipe ceramic coated and the Rush slip ons came black from the factory. The muffler placement is relatively close to where the stock mufflers sat. I was hoping to gain a bit of ground clearance, but I'm not sure how that worked out because I forgot to measure the ground clearance of the stock mufflers. Currently I have roughly 7-1/2 inches of ground clearance at the rear of the muffler.

I like the sound! It's definitely louder than stock but not obnoxiously loud I don't think. I haven't had a chance to test ride yet due to single digit temperatures and I was already pretty chilled working in my unseated garage today. I'll get it out for a test run soon and see how they do.
2015 Ural Gear Up
1975 Honda CB750K5

Return to “Ural/Dnepr 101 - Newbie Questions”