How do I remove the spare tire from the trunk mount?

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
genesisgsxr
Comrade
Comrade

How do I remove the spare tire from the trunk mount?

Postby genesisgsxr » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:43 pm

Ural newbie question - How do I remove the spare tire from the trunk mount? I do not have the Ural tool kit . . . any recommendations are greatly appreciated . . .
Last edited by genesisgsxr on Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Kevin

2010 Ural Gear-Up (Natasha)
Metro Atlanta, Georgia

Tpex
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: How do I remove the spare tire from the trunk mount?

Postby Tpex » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:14 pm

Use two nails, put in holes, use a piece of wood, metal etc. between and use just enough torque to loosen, then spin off with palm of hand. I'm sure others here have better ways, that's how I'd do it as I have a can of used nails in the garage.

genesisgsxr
Comrade
Comrade

Postby genesisgsxr » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:17 pm

Tpex wrote:Use two nails, put in holes, use a piece of wood, metal etc. between and use just enough torque to loosen, then spin off with palm of hand. I'm sure others here have better ways, that's how I'd do it as I have a can of used nails in the garage.

Tpex ~ really appreciate the feedback . . . I didnt want to reinvent the wheel when this forum users have great ideas! Thank you again!

Kevin
- Kevin

Metro Atlanta, Georgia

Tpex
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Tpex » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:22 pm

genesisgsxr wrote:
Tpex wrote:Use two nails, put in holes, use a piece of wood, metal etc. between and use just enough torque to loosen, then spin off with palm of hand. I'm sure others here have better ways, that's how I'd do it as I have a can of used nails in the garage.

Tpex ~ really appreciate the feedback . . . I didnt want to reinvent the wheel when this forum users have great ideas! Thank you again!

Kevin

Let me add that I've not tried that approach, let us know if it works. :lol: I will go in the garage and have a look now to see if I can get it to work. :cheers:

Tpex
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Tpex » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:37 pm

OK, got it to work with nails and a wrench. Keep pressure with thumb holding wrench to cap wile turning with other hand. Not pretty, did work though. A longer wrench for more leverage would help as well as tight fitting nails with the sharp end snipped off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MartyL
Benevolent Emperor
Benevolent Emperor

Postby MartyL » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:49 pm

If your going to put the spare on ( Drum wheel) be sure to take off the plastic scratch protector that's on the backside of the drum. Wheel won't mount with it left on.
2010 Gear Up
1976 Yamaha XS650C
2015 Yamaha FJ09
Peace.... God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom. God Bless America!
As I get older, I see the wisdom in Hannibal Lecter......
Ladies,Do your part! Prevent MSB often! Save mankind!!!

genesisgsxr
Comrade
Comrade

Postby genesisgsxr » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:35 pm

Tpex you are the man! Thank you! It worked!
- Kevin

Metro Atlanta, Georgia

genesisgsxr
Comrade
Comrade

Postby genesisgsxr » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:35 pm

Tpex wrote:OK, got it to work with nails and a wrench. Keep pressure with thumb holding wrench to cap wile turning with other hand. Not pretty, did work though. A longer wrench for more leverage would help as well as tight fitting nails with the sharp end snipped off.

Tpex - It worked! Thank you!
- Kevin

Metro Atlanta, Georgia

Tpex
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Tpex » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:43 pm

You give me too much credit, I was just guessing of a simple way to remove it. :lol: Most of the time I don't know what I'm writing about and the rest of the time I'm just plain wrong. :lol:

There are members here with many years, more than a decade, of experience with these machines and others who are far more clever than myself. :bow:

Anyway, glad you got it off OK. :thumbsup:

landlshaw
Comrade
Comrade

Postby landlshaw » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:17 am

MartyL wrote:If your going to put the spare on ( Drum wheel) be sure to take off the plastic scratch protector that's on the backside of the drum. Wheel won't mount with it left on.

I found that out...after I tried 1/2 dozen times to get the scratch protector to fit (of course it didn't) :-)

genesisgsxr
Comrade
Comrade

Postby genesisgsxr » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:43 pm

landlshaw wrote:
MartyL wrote:If your going to put the spare on ( Drum wheel) be sure to take off the plastic scratch protector that's on the backside of the drum. Wheel won't mount with it left on.

I found that out...after I tried 1/2 dozen times to get the scratch protector to fit (of course it didn't) :-)

good stuff landlshaw . . it gotta be really fun to ride a Ural in Alaska!!
- Kevin

Metro Atlanta, Georgia

Mr Wazzock
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby Mr Wazzock » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:57 am

Now I know what that special spanner with the two pegs on it in the toolkit is for. Although I haven't got a spare wheel to try it on.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta

rivers

Postby rivers » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:43 pm

If you don't want to buy the factory tool kit you can buy aftermarket adjustable pin spanner wrenches.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Return to “Ural/Dnepr 101 - Newbie Questions”