My Ural (Mis?)Adventure, so far.......

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
jwaller
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: My Ural (Mis?)Adventure, so far.......

Postby jwaller » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:12 pm

RM 474 north, RM 473 east, US 281 south, and FM 311 east between Boerne and New Braunfels, TX.

2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

These are the good times, there's no looking back
jwaller is loving life, on his shiny red Ural hack.
Rolling through the hill country, one hand on the throttle .
It moves about as fast as ketchup flowing from the bottle.
Ketchup. Ketchup.
:boogie:

jwaller
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby jwaller » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:26 pm

I'm glad I got about 300 miles worth of fun in on Saturday, because this week is NOT going to be good motorcycle weather in Texas. I'll ride in the snow, but it's looking like freezing rain with ice covered roads. Ummmm, no thank you. I'm sure I can handle it, but I don't want to be a hockey puck for all the idiots doing the ice-capades in their big trucks.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

hotflash44
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby hotflash44 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:52 pm

jwaller ,interesting watching your shift points,you wind that baby up seems to run great. im a little less when im riding 55MPH is usually tops and im almost always in 4 gear at 45/50. that's just me not criticizing . looks like a real nice ride. :cheers:
drive a 2016 gear up asphalt grey .Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

jwaller
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby jwaller » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:42 pm

hotflash44 wrote:jwaller ,interesting watching your shift points,you wind that baby up seems to run great. im a little less when im riding 55MPH is usually tops and im almost always in 4 gear at 45/50. that's just me not criticizing . looks like a real nice ride. :cheers:

It's kind of hard to see it in the videos, but the hills around here, while not too tall, are pretty steep. I find that if I'm not over 60 at the bottom of the hill, it quickly loses power and lugs up the hill, easily dropping as low as 40 mph. I don't want to end up the hood ornament to some pick-up, so I typically rev the 3rd gear up to 60 when climbing up the hill. On a flat area, I shift at 45-50. All that's especially true in a headwind and/or with a passenger. And really, 55 mph is kind of slow for the local back roads with speed limits from 65-75 mph.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby windmill » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:02 pm

jwaller wrote:I'm glad I got about 300 miles worth of fun in on Saturday, because this week is NOT going to be good motorcycle weather in Texas. I'll ride in the snow, but it's looking like freezing rain with ice covered roads. Ummmm, no thank you. I'm sure I can handle it, but I don't want to be a hockey puck for all the idiots doing the ice-capades in their big trucks.

Generally I don't like perpetuating stereotypes, but in all my years of driving longhaul, I've never encountered a road user group worse than Texan urban cowboys in their diesel crew cab pickups. A special blend of arrogance, ignorance, and poor driving skills.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

hotflash44

Postby hotflash44 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:11 pm

jwaller ah! ah! makes more sense now,Ever sense i got the Ural i have been trying to drive it modestly, you know no lugging or over revving, once posted about good shift points ,got the point that lugging the Ural was probably the worst thing, especially during break in period. i think i drive the bike good within it intended use. one thing that messes me up is poor hearing esp with a helmet and wind the engine sounds rattle around in my head sometimes like im going to fast in a particular gear. so i watch the speedo for basic shift points, thats why i noticed your shifting in the video with interest,thanks for explaining why you shift that way. :cheers:
drive a 2016 gear up asphalt grey .Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Mr Wazzock

Postby Mr Wazzock » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:43 pm

hotflash44 wrote:jwaller ,interesting watching your shift points,you wind that baby up seems to run great.
im a little less when im riding 55MPH is usually tops and im almost always in 4 gear at 45/50. that's just me not criticizing . looks like a real nice ride. :cheers:

Ah not just me who's noticed. :D

-
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta

jwaller
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby jwaller » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:57 pm

I forgot just how good this bike can be at stopping. Brand new sidecar tire and pusher tire (I'll replace the front tire in about a week) with brand new brake pads all around and this bike can stop extremely well.

The bike's running so well, it's got me worried. It always seems to be that the bike is running at its best when the s#1t hits the fan. I rode 100 miles today and the bike just handled the ride so smoothly and without issue. Maybe I have shaken the Bokad curse. I hope I haven't just given it to Bill (Builtea). We're supposed to meet for a 250 mile dirt ride on Saturday morning. The ride will start and end 100 miles from my house. So, 100 miles to meet Bill, 250 miles of dirt roads, then 100 miles home on blacktop again. Nice, 450 mile ride planned. So far, when Bill and I have ridden Urals together, there's been an issue. I had a flat last times. Bill's bike had the short this most recent time. We can meet with him on his Ural and me on my Triumph and there will be no issue. Put the two Urals together and stuff just seems to happen. We're doubling the probability of a problem. Wish us luck.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

hotflash44

Postby hotflash44 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:50 am

jwaller,makes absolute sense, the more Urals the more chance of a problem. think somehow the Ruskies built that feature in at the factory. anyway good luck. :cheers: :boogie: :boogie:

jwaller
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby jwaller » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:33 am

Dang, man. Maybe I should just ride alone. Bill (Builtea) got in a wreck today. I was leading him, but we were riding at the back of a group of about 5 dual sport bikes. We had been on a straightaway for a while and most of the 2-wheelers had gotten way up ahead of us on the straight. I'm going full throttle and they're just pulling away. We get to this one right hand turn, and most of the turns on this road before had been sweepers, but this one was an abrupt 90 degree turn to the right, around a blind corner you couldn't see around or through because of the brush. It was unmarked, too. I immediately realized I'd gone in too hot, but I stomped on the brake pedal and grabbed a handful of front brake, then made the turn, still hot, and really just on the edge of control. I get through it and think of how bad the corner was and check my mirror to see how Bill's handling it. I see him attempt to get through the turn, but he started flying the sidecar as he left the road on the outside of the turn. He and the bike got airborne and then smashed into a rancher's fence. It's weird, because I'm not exactly sure what happened to his bike. There are scratches and scuffs on his left muffler, but the front right part of the sidecar got dented and lost paint. The right fender is pushed toward the sidecar, all bent up. His front fender is dented on its front tip. Bill's back took a fence post which tore his outer water-proof layer jacket. The face shield was ripped off his helmet. There was grass up at the handlebars. I did not see all of Bill's trajectory. He was in the field of my mirror for a moment. It seems, in a way, like he rolled the bike. It's not too badly damaged, though. Some paint and a little metal bending and the thing will be as good as new. As far as Bill goes, he is one tough old dude. No broken bones, but I'm sure he's going to feel like hell tomorrow when he gets up. And the next day. And the next day.......
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby windmill » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:42 am

I hope Bill recovers quickly.

So.....are you somehow related to WTF Chuck? You do seem to be a magnet for trouble. Always enjoyed your posts, and thought I'd like to meet you... but now I'm starting to think I would run the other way. :P :cheers:
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

jwaller
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby jwaller » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:51 am

windmill wrote:I hope Bill recovers quickly.

So.....are you somehow related to WTF Chuck? You do seem to be a magnet for trouble. Always enjoyed your posts, and thought I'd like to meet you... but now I'm starting to think I would run the other way. :P :cheers:

WTF Chuck:

Me:

I think there is at least some resemblance!
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

Mr Wazzock

Postby Mr Wazzock » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:16 pm

Bluddy hell :o

Glad Bill and the bike are basically OK.

-
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta

jwaller
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby jwaller » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:22 pm

Here's a video of the ride. Bill had his accident at the corner that I took at about 21:00 in to this video.

2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

Builtea
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Builtea » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:08 pm

Here I am again with my misadventures intruding on Justin's misadventure thread. His misadventure was having me cut short what was a very nice all day ride on good Ural roads. I must thank him again for all he did all afternoon and evening, taking me to the ER and seeing my rig back to my house on it's ride of shame. I hope I can repay you some how but hopefully not under a similar situation. - Bill
2013 Retro M70 - Molly

Return to “The Virtual Watering Hole”