My Ural (Mis?)Adventure, so far.......

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: My Ural (Mis?)Adventure, so far.......

Postby windmill » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:20 am

jwaller wrote:
windmill wrote:
jwaller wrote:Oh yeah, his fuse going out was under the gas tank. The retro has fuses under the tank and behind the headlight. He had to pull the headlight out of the bucket to check fuses. Seems like a silly place for fuses but what do I know?

My Patrol Has them in the headlight bucket too, far from the worst place for fuses I've seen on a motorcycle. My M70 has it's fuses and relays in a waterproof box on the right side near the rear of the tool box.

I haven't had to replace any fuses on my Patrol yet. I have replaced the headlight and don't remember seeing fuses under the lamp in the bucket but maybe there are. I do have a bank of fuses right behind the headlight bucket on the left fork. I can get to them without having to remove anything. That seems to make more sense, but then again, you shouldn't have to be changing fuses too often.

It does seem that they have moved them around over the years....just to keep us on our toes. :P
In this instance, I replaced the OE headlight bucket on my Patrol with a Retro bucket and moved all the connections, fuses block and flasher into it. Not the most convenient location if access is necessary, but they're more protected from the elements. Its a trade off, being a daily rider in the PNW, replacing waterlogged flashers was a regular thing, but haven't had to replace it in around 7 years since I put it in the headlight bucket.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby windmill » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:38 am

wooden nickel wrote:If I read the wiring diagram right, if you have a main feed fuse, it has been added. You might check for connections on that wire near the fuse away from the battery, if it has been owner installed. An owner installed connection often has a greater possibility of shorting out.

Both of my rigs have an inline 30a fuse on the positive lead near the battery as OE.

M70: between tool box and air box just above kick start.
IMG_2984.JPG

Patrol: on top of battery under seat.
IMG_2986.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2018 M70

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby windmill » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:46 am

Builtea wrote:Justin, I wish to thank you again for all the help you gave me getting me home and helping me retrieve my ailing steed. Lets hope next time will be soon and with no unwanted surprises. The weather looks good for this coming weekend. Hope I can make it.
Wooden Nickel, I bought this bike new four years ago and there are no added fuses. I could be wrong but the wiring diagram in the online manual ( the manual that came with the bike was not for the Retro? dealer? ) does not seem to match the actual wiring on the bike in all ways. I'll explore the wiring as soon as I can and try to find the problem. If anyone has any advice or ideas I welcome them. I am not good at tracing and solving electrical problems. I do have a multi-meter but not much knowledge. - Bill

I feel your pain, I lost my lights when a wire broke in the switch of the antique spotlight I have on my Patrol, and it took me a long time to figure out it was the main feed fuse.
Persistence is my only advice.
Barry

2018 M70

hotflash44
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby hotflash44 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:49 am

Builtea, just wait until the electrical gurus on this forum show up your problem will get fixed im sure. You know on a old car there was a fuse-able link stashed away usually in a remote spot that was a wire/fuse that would pop.Its main function was to save the entire electrical from going up in smoke. dont know weather the Urals have these. bet you will find a loose/bare wire under the tank or seat. good luck. :cheers:
drive a 2016 gear up asphalt grey .Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

jwaller
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby jwaller » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:05 am

A bit of yesterday's ride. At about seven minutes is where Bill's ride loses all power.

2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

These are the good times, there's no looking back
jwaller is loving life, on his shiny red Ural hack.
Rolling through the hill country, one hand on the throttle .
It moves about as fast as ketchup flowing from the bottle.
Ketchup. Ketchup.
:boogie:

wooden nickel

Postby wooden nickel » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:57 am

I got my dis-information from the 2013 M70 wiring diagram on the mothership site:
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... iagram.pdf
I certainly didn't mean to lead anyone astray. I do see a 20 amp fuse from the battery to the sidecar but that shouldn't shut the bike down. That is unless it disturbed the main feed connection to the battery. That would only need cleaning and re-tightening.
I may not be good, but I'm slow.
Nick
2014 M70 Retros, the sports car of Urals.

Mr Wazzock

Postby Mr Wazzock » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:08 pm

wooden nickel wrote:If I read the wiring diagram right, if you have a main feed fuse, it has been added.

Yes I'm looking at the 2013 Retro diagram from https://www.imz-ural.com/owners-manuals/ and I can't see any 30A fuse :(

Builtea wrote:The fuse that blew, twice, is under the tank and seems to be on a wire coming from the positive terminal on the top right side of the alternator, but on the side of the road I was unable to trace where the wire went.

Possible clue - according to diagram a blue wire goes from battery + to alternator, thence to the ignition switch. Break this, EVERYTHING is shut down. Is it a blue wire?

Secondary thought - did a previous owner add in this fuse because of a problem he had with something shorting out? :shock:

This a short is occurring somewhere before the regular fusebox. (Else one of those would blow obviously.)

-
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta

jwaller
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby jwaller » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:50 pm

Mr Wazzock wrote:
Secondary thought - did a previous owner add in this fuse because of a problem he had with something shorting out? :shock:

This a short is occurring somewhere before the regular fusebox. (Else one of those would blow obviously.)

-

I'm pretty sure Bill is the original owner. He says he hasn't done any sort of electrical modifications, so this is stock. At least I'm pretty sure.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

Mr Wazzock

Postby Mr Wazzock » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:18 pm

OK then.

Well whatever, the implication is there's summat going wrong between there and ignition switch and fusebox, so yes I concur tank off for a good coating of looking at. :wink:

-
Mike H

jwaller
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby jwaller » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:27 pm

Here's the second time Bill's bike went kaput, and giving him a ride to get a recovery vehicle. Look how quickly his bike slows down with no other indication other than the sudden rapid closing speed. No blinkers, no brake lights. Nothing.

2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby windmill » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:19 pm

wooden nickel wrote:I got my dis-information from the 2013 M70 wiring diagram on the mothership site:
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... iagram.pdf
I certainly didn't mean to lead anyone astray. I do see a 20 amp fuse from the battery to the sidecar but that shouldn't shut the bike down. That is unless it disturbed the main feed connection to the battery. That would only need cleaning and re-tightening.

I checked it out on my Patrol, and you are correct, the inline fuse is only for the sidecar power, pulling it did not kill the ignition. My M70 has 2 inline fuses from the battery and the one with the yellow wire will kill the ignition.
Since there's a fuse under Bills tank, my only guess is that it was mistakenly omitted in the diagram, or added by the dealer?
Barry

2018 M70

jwaller
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby jwaller » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:12 pm

More of Saturday's ride. Heading home.

2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

Builtea
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Builtea » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:22 pm

This will be my last post on my travails on jwaller's thread. My problems are all solved. It was a short in the headlight bucket which I taped and I padded the rough edge the wire rubbed on with a piece of bicycle inner tube. I took it out for a test run today, rough roads and 65 for a few miles on a good road, and it ran beautifully. I believe it was a successful repair and I will be ready for the 250 mile dirt and back roads ride of Medina County on Saturday. Justin I hope you can make this one also. We need a successful ride together where neither of our bikes breaks down. Now back to Justin's (Mis?)Adventures. - Bill
2013 Retro M70 - Molly

jwaller
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby jwaller » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:31 pm

Builtea wrote:This will be my last post on my travails on jwaller's thread. My problems are all solved. It was a short in the headlight bucket which I taped and I padded the rough edge the wire rubbed on with a piece of bicycle inner tube. I took it out for a test run today, rough roads and 65 for a few miles on a good road, and it ran beautifully. I believe it was a successful repair and I will be ready for the 250 mile dirt and back roads ride of Medina County on Saturday. Justin I hope you can make this one also. We need a successful ride together where neither of our bikes breaks down. Now back to Justin's (Mis?)Adventures. - Bill

Glad you got it running again :clap: .

Barring any unforeseen circumstance them, I'll see you next weekend in Castroville.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

Mr Wazzock

Postby Mr Wazzock » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:33 pm

There ya go, congrats. :thumbsup:

Keep forgetting for Retro it's all stuffed in the headlamp shell.
Mike H

Return to “The Virtual Watering Hole”