Ready for another flat tire video?

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
URAL CT
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Re: Ready for another flat tire video?

Postby URAL CT » Mon May 14, 2018 6:05 pm

Big James...look into the "Motion Pro Armor Rim Strips". I use to get flats caused by those pesky rim nipples. Wrapped gorilla tape around the rim nipples, then installed the armor rim strip...ended the flats cause by the rim nipples rubbing against the inner tube. Knock on wood, haven't experienced flats since 2012 :foilhead: . Just sayin'... YMMV!
CT
2007 Patrol
Plano, TX

harryball
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Postby harryball » Mon May 14, 2018 7:23 pm

2 hours out... yeah, that's a bit far to call one of us out to come help. But no one stopping, that's a too common theme in this world lately.

If I remember, you have K28's. Those stiff sidewalls should have helped with the flat. Could have been much worse.
---
2008 - Tourist - "Ursula" / 30mpg / 32k as of 9/2017
2010 - Patrol - "The Rattler" / 32 mpg / 53k as of 9/2017
K28 tires on both rigs, pusher gets about 6000 miles give or take.
3/8" toe in and 2.5 degree lean
Robert
http://HabitatForBats.org - Give a bat a home!

BigJames

Postby BigJames » Wed May 16, 2018 12:17 am

I run Block-Ks, stiff sidewall, sidecar rig specific tire. Been running them for years on my BMW and Ural rigs.

Thanks for the input. Motion-Pro really thick rim strip tape ordered, then will put a rim strip over it. I am tired of flat tires. Still had a slight wobble after I pulled off the suspect 19" (yes 19", Myrtle's Russian spare tire and wheel) wheel that was my emergency spare off the sidecar and put the previously flat tire on the hack. Suspected damage to that wheel, inspected thoroughly and it is perfect. Pulled the pusher wheel to fix my on the fly brake adjustment. Noticed that wheel seemed to have a slight wobble when turned. Hmm, checked spokes, yep, one appeared lose. Tried to tighten, mofo was broken at the head. Replaced with brand new spare (the one that didn't make it in time to go to CRAP) and all is well handling wise Ordered a few spokes from Gene will install, true, them whilst it is down anyway, install new strip.

And about those Brother's of the Road, if you were born after 1983, I've been riding HDs longer than you've been alive. So I can talk about them through experience...some of these winners wouldn't stop to help a family member. A famous HD Dealer is right down from where I stopped. Assuming that is where they came from. If I had been on my HD rig, same thing would have happened. Rubbies...to paranoid to stop and afraid to get hands dirty. Funny, a guy on You Tube, from Russia, said he would have stopped too... I have no doubt he and you all would. Geez, had a jack and everything this time, didn't NEED help, buy a little moral support would have been nice... Oh well, I'll keep on stopping to help folks...know most of this crowd here will too...
BigJames
15 Ural M70
11 Ural Retro (97K and counting)
95/79 Bural Sportsman (Myrtle)
88 HD FLHS Watsonian Cambridge (232K and counting)
51 HD Servicar

VWK75S

Postby VWK75S » Wed May 16, 2018 5:11 am

I bet know buddy else here had there spare go flat :foilhead:
John
The Ural's made Maine a much bigger state.

2009 GearUp 135,000kms
2007 Retro 20,000kms
1991 VWK75S 110,000miles

Birdy
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Birdy » Wed May 16, 2018 11:04 am

VWK75S wrote:I bet know buddy else here had there spare go flat :foilhead:
John

I'll take some of that bet...went through 3 tubes trying to fix my pusher tire. ONE of them was ripped from the spare, the 2017 spare is all but useless IMHO as it's more work to prep it to install on the bike and to just replace the tube in the flat tire...unless the rip strips are off center then you go through a lot of tubes.
2017 Ural Patrol
2012 Kawasaki Versys, Mini Me
2008 Royal Enfield...the money pit, undergoing restoration

VWK75S

Postby VWK75S » Wed May 16, 2018 3:53 pm

Birdy wrote: it's more work to prep it to install on the bike and to just replace the tube in the flat

Are you serious! :?
John

2009 GearUp 135,000kms
2007 Retro 20,000kms
1991 VWK75S 110,000miles

Mr Wazzock

Postby Mr Wazzock » Wed May 16, 2018 4:11 pm

I’m guessing, transfer the brake disc and FD spline boss from OE pusher to the spare?

You drum brake boys don’t know when you’re well off! :lol:
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta

windmill

Postby windmill » Wed May 16, 2018 4:16 pm

VWK75S wrote:
Birdy wrote: it's more work to prep it to install on the bike and to just replace the tube in the flat

John

I find that a bit odd too, especially for the rear where it only requires transferring the disc. I much rather fiddle with a few fasteners, than charge a tube on the side of the road.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

Birdy
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Birdy » Wed May 16, 2018 4:43 pm

windmill wrote:
VWK75S wrote:

John

I find that a bit odd too, especially for the rear where it only requires transferring the disc. I much rather fiddle with a few fasteners, than charge a tube on the side of the road.

The disc, the splines and the hubs the same as the front so you're limited to 50 kph and change ASAP. Might as well change the tube and be done with it. I haven't done so but was told the getting the disc off is a major PITA on the side of the road without a four foot long breaker bar.
2017 Ural Patrol
2012 Kawasaki Versys, Mini Me
2008 Royal Enfield...the money pit, undergoing restoration

hotflash44

Postby hotflash44 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:09 pm

Birdy wrote:
windmill wrote:
VWK75S wrote:

John

The disc, the splines and the hubs the same as the front so you're limited to 50 kph and change ASAP. Might as well change the tube and be done with it. I haven't done so but was told the getting the disc off is a major PITA on the side of the road without a four foot long breaker bar.

could be right, arnt there 6 allen head bolts that the factory probably has torqued down tight, they are really easy to strip the heads. Haven't done this operation yet, but that would be my guess. :cheers:
drive a 2016 gear up asphalt grey .Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

windmill

Postby windmill » Wed May 16, 2018 10:17 pm

hotflash44 wrote:
Birdy wrote:
windmill wrote:
VWK75S wrote:

John

could be right, arnt there 6 allen head bolts that the factory probably has torqued down tight, they are really easy to strip the heads. Haven't done this operation yet, but that would be my guess. :cheers:

One of my first projects when I brought home my M70 was to remove all hardware from the wheels, put anti seize on them, and torque them to spec so there's no road side surprises that can't be handled with the on board tool kit.

The M70 has 18" wheels so there's no restriction on the spares use, and even with the 19" wheels it's only if one is at the GVW under challenging conditions. With a little care one could finish out their ride at speed.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2018 M70

BigJames

Postby BigJames » Wed May 16, 2018 10:43 pm

Mr Wazzock wrote:I’m guessing, transfer the brake disc and FD spline boss from OE pusher to the spare?

You drum brake boys don’t know when you’re well off! :lol:

Shoot, have had a flat on the M70 too, two in fact. Swapping the disk takes maybe 5 minutes, taking off the bracket for the caliper is a bit of a PITA, but not any worse than discovering you have to adjust your brake drums for your spare because they won't clear the wheel (yep, had that happen too, on Myrtle no less, so yes, I've had flats on all 3 of my Urals - full drums, drum and disk, full disk)... Far easier than breaking down the tire and stuffing in a new tube not knowing (unless you took it all the way down) if the rim strip has be compromised giving on and instant flat (had that happen on a Harley decades ago). Always something, 1st it was whining about the spare not fitting all the wheels anymore, now that it does, complaining it's just too hard to use? Do what? Damn folks, get a grip. Some folks are just har to satisfy or need some more time with a wrench. Yeah, I am a bit testy tonight...
BigJames
15 Ural M70
51 HD Servicar

BigJames

Postby BigJames » Wed May 16, 2018 10:56 pm

Birdy wrote:
windmill wrote:
VWK75S wrote:

John

Sorry, for the 18" bikes that is a load of crap and I speak from experience, not just what I read once. I rode with my spare for almost 500 miles and it worked just fine, looks better too. Fixed the tire when I got home, had a spare tube just in case. Glad I did not use it as we discovered that the rim strip had self shredded when the tire was pulled down for tube replacement. Depend on just a tube, you better have AAA motorcycle or AMA towing. For CTs the spare is the same as all the other wheels, exactly the same and it has that Federally mandated sticker any way. Only reason the Retro/M70 have the hub looking wheel was aesthetics. The 50 MPH sticker is required on all US vehicles that have a designated spare as most are not the same tire as the real tire, as they are on Urals and our lovely government does not like to make distinctions or exceptions on what it considers safety issues, even the ones of their own making. When my turn came, getting the disk off required a simple allen wrench. I used the stock tools to get mine off and on. Like I said on the other post, took maybe 5 minutes. If you have never changed to your spare, I strongly suggest that be done as a test to see if one is capable of even doing it. Not an insult, really should be done the 1st time in a controlled environment where it does not matter how long it takes... Be a good opportunity to lube your splines while you have the wheel off.
BigJames
15 Ural M70
51 HD Servicar

windmill

Postby windmill » Thu May 17, 2018 2:06 am

2 27 11 010 (Large) (1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barry

2018 M70

VWK75S

Postby VWK75S » Thu May 17, 2018 5:15 am

Never seen a Ural rear disc but I assume a modified rear brake setup wouldn't be easy?
K75 FD.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2009 GearUp 135,000kms
2007 Retro 20,000kms
1991 VWK75S 110,000miles

Return to “The Virtual Watering Hole”